Big Bend Trip Planning - Your Suggestions Please

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atxrider

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

My father and I are headed to Big Bend next week for 5 days and are looking for suggestions on routes/things to see. We are staying in the Indian Lodge at Ft Davis, and have planned to make three loops...the Davis Mountains and the two large loops down through the state park and national park.

Any suggestions for cool stops and places to eat along these roads? I think we have the observatory, marfa lights, both Big Bend parks, Davis Mountains SP on our agenda so far.

Regards,

Davy

Hey Guys,
My father and I are headed to Big Bend next week for 5 days and are looking for suggestions on routes/things to see. We are staying in the Indian Lodge at Ft Davis, and have planned to make three loops...the Davis Mountains and the two large loops down through the state park and national park.

Any suggestions for cool stops and places to eat along these roads? I think we have the observatory, marfa lights, both Big Bend parks, Davis Mountains SP on our agenda so far.

Regards,

Davy
1. From Study Butte drive east on 118 into park. Go approx. 7 miles and turn right on Ross Maxwell Hwy towards Castolon. Approx. 23 miles to historic Castolon store. Another 7 miles to Santa Elena Canyon overlook. There is the 14 mile Maverick Road (dirt) that returns to Maverick entrance station making a complete loop. It is rideable on a road bike, but is dusty and slow. Or return via Castolon and Ross Maxwell Hwy.

2. Enter park through Maverick entrance (west end), and ride approximately 48 miles to Rio Grande Village. This ride winds east through the park passing turn-offs to Castolon and the Basin. You will pass Panther Junction Visitor Center about 25 miles from the entrance. You will pass the turn off to Historic Langford Hot Springs(1/2 mile dirt road and ¼ mile hike), ride through the only tunnel in West Texas, over look Boquillas, Mexico, and reach river level.

3. From Panther Junction Visitor Center ride north on Hwy 385 towards Marathon. A beautiful open desert drive passing the Dagger Flats Road (dirt), Dog Canyon trail, and many dry creek crossings (approx. 28 miles one way).

4. River Road Scenic Ride- Deemed “The Most Beautiful Ride in Texas”. This is a must for all riders. This is a spectacular ride along the Rio Grande River and Colorado Canyon, Fresno Ranch and through parts of Big Bend State Park. It has classic windy curves (careful, they come on fast), western movie sets, and West Texas geology ending at Presidio, Texas.

This can be done as a one-way to Presidio, or loop through Marfa and Alpine and back.

5. Panther Junction to La Linda- A wonderful desert ride outside the north end of Big Bend National Park. Exit the park on the north end at Persimmon Gap Entrance. Approximately 2 miles turn right (east). This classic desert hwy will take you to Stillwell store and museum, and on to La Linda where it dead ends (approx. 25 mi.) at an old bridge crossing to Mexico. An interesting abandoned mine lies on the distant hills and the Blue Sky Café is sometimes open for a cool drink.

6. Balmorhea-An excellent ride through an exceptional canyon heading northeast out of Fort Davis towards I-10.

7. Study Butte to Alpine- Good return ride back to civilization on Hwy 118 through classic West Texas desert country.

Speed limit in Big Bend National Park is 45 mph and is ENFORCED- Guess I will never be visiting Big Bend. I can't ride that slow. Just can't do it.

Big Bend is a favorite backpack destination for me, and I've done a few trips there with similar stops on the way. The observatory at Ft Davis has a star party (used to be on Wed nights) where they point out constellations and let you peek through a few of the smaller the telescopes.

Definitely drive up to the Chisos Basin at Big Bend Park, the difference between the basin and the rest of the part is dramatic. If your up for a fairly strenuous hike, from the basin try Emory peak (the last few feet is a scramble), or hike all the way to the south rim. The view is spectacular and you can literally walk to the edge of the cliff and look down at hundreds if not a thousand foot drop. There is lodging at the basin, but I've not stayed there, only camped.

Last edited by a moderator:
Speed limit in Big Bend National Park is 45 mph and is ENFORCED- Guess I will never be visiting Big Bend. I can't ride that slow. Just can't do it.
Only enforced if you get caught. The fastest I have ridden mine is in the park, messing around with a buddy, and just a touch over 45....

Definitely drive up to the Chisos Basin at Big Bend Park, the difference between the basin and the rest of the part is dramatic.
There is lodging at the basin, but I've not stayed there, only camped.
Agreed on the difference between the basin and the rest. You are going early enough in the year for the heat not to be an issue; I was there over Memorial Day weekend a couple of years back, and the temp drop was 8-10 degrees. At 103 on the basin floor, it was nice to go up. The lodge is nice digs, but I think you camp with your Dad, the campground is just a bit down the road. A guy died on the campground crapper, ala "pulled a Presley", when we were there, which was kinda weird.

The Starlite in Terlingua is a cool place to grab some grub. Here is a pic from the ride back to the lodge the night we were there:

2537969505_9e216b799a.jpg

Have a good time!

I ride down to Big Bend almost every year. Lots of back roads for a trail bike, but it must be street legal. Next month I'll go on the FJR, and camp in the Basin. You need a reservation for campsites until middle of April, as early Spring is a busy time in that neck of the woods. Right now the weather is widely varied, with 80s one day and 50s the next; the nights in the Basin are in the high 30's. Take clothing for every situation, including thunderstorms. Last year in March I trailered my KTM down there, and my tent blew away. Twice. Be sure to hike the Santa Elena . . . it's short but magnificent.

definitely ride River Road from Terlingua to Presidio.

This road, according to the book "Roadside Geology of Texas", has the most unusual and varied geography and rock formation of any road in Texas.

While you are taking the scenic loop ride around Ft. Davis be sure to head up NE to Balmorhea and see the big natural spring pool there. Its a good ride.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Seems like I have hit most of the high points, the chisos basin and Balmorhea were definitely on the list of things to see.

I will be leaving Wednesday, and hopefully get a ride report up in a few weeks.

Regards,

Davy

A few miles NW of Fort Davis, you can take a tour of the MacDonald Observatory. It has been updated and added onto, in recent years. If you enjoy astronomy, it is a great tour, and as I recall it is free. The ride up there is winding mountain paved road.

I have been there a few times and stayed in Alpine. Accross the street from the college is a geat bar and hotel. The Hotel ( name escapes me ) is very biker friendly! I suggest working your way through San Angelo, it is a lot more interesting then hwy blasting!

Be safe and have fun!

A few miles NW of Fort Davis, you can take a tour of the MacDonald Observatory. It has been updated and added onto, in recent years. If you enjoy astronomy, it is a great tour, and as I recall it is free. The ride up there is winding mountain paved road.

take the road up to the observatory so you can say you have driven on the highest elevation road in Texas....

You can always enjoy a dip at Balmorhea state park. There is a 28 ft deep pool filled with spring water. Enjoy the ride.