Big Sur bridge on Hwy 1

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

"Needless to say, 90% of the tourist traffic visiting Big Sur coming from the south normally would see the Village of Big Sur as a stop over on their way to Monterey and the San Francisco Bay Area. Likewise, 90% of tourists wanting to visit Big Sur coming from the north (i.e. Monterey and the San Francisco Bay Area) will not be able to access the most scenic part of the route and its resorts beyond the bridge closure. In other words, I can envision that very few tourists will be visiting anywhere along Rt. 1 between Carmel/Monterey to the north and San Simeon/Cambria to the south for the rest of the year."

I think that means that we as motorcyclists must do our due diligence to support those towns and businesses from Cambria... and back again... and again...
cool.png

EDIT: May be doing that next month on the wildflower ride I just posted today... will report back on conditions. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I've gone from Orange County to the Coastal Redwoods a couple of times since the bridge closure. Both times, I was touring visitors around. One of my favorite stops is the Elephant Seal Rookery just north of San Simeon. I think it's a must see for visitors. From there it was a short double-back to 46 and on to 101N. From Paso Robles to Greenfield on 101 is about 60 miles. Jump off at Greenfield and take Carmel Valley Road (G16) all the way into Carmel. Carmel Valley Rd is a very, very good FJR ride.