bigger tire on front

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krotchrocketgrampa

Reaction score
this will probably stir up a real hornets nest.

I'am still on a quest to find a tire that wont cup in 3k miles or less.

went riding today with some buddys and one of them asked if anyone put a tire one size larger, like a 130.

couldnt find it in NERPT.

anyone want to jump in or dogpile.

I love my fjr, and cant live with cupping tires every couple of thousand miles , thats just a shame

always get good info and opinions from this site,so let her rip

What phenomenon of physics or urban lore do you or your friend think will make a tire of a different size cup less?

I would suggest reading more through NEPRT at the many, many other suggestions for reducing cupping. IMO, 99% of them are more likely to make a difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
What kind of tire pressures are you running? I have BT021s on mine and have run them on my 07. No cupping noticed yet. I'm sure that is partly because of the tread pattern. One of my friends is running Pirelli Angel ST tires. He like them better than Pilot Roads.

There is a thread around here somewhere about going to a 130 section front tire to slow the steering down a little. Maybe someone that has the searching technique mastered can chase it down. IIRC there wasn't any mention of better tread life. FWIW, go with a PR2 and keep it pumped up to 40psi, your front tire troubles will disappear.

--G

What phenomenon of physics or urban lore do you or your friend think will make a tire of a different size cup less?
Yup, it's not the size, it's the Bridgestone construction. It's fine on my SV-650, but it sucks on a bigger bike. It was cupping so bad, I thought I had bad/loose steering bearings, and I was running 40psi. I went with PR2s and nary a sign of cupping.

There is a thread around here somewhere about going to a 130 section front tire to slow the steering down a little. Maybe someone that has the searching technique mastered can chase it down. IIRC there wasn't any mention of better tread life. FWIW, go with a PR2 and keep it pumped up to 40psi, your front tire troubles will disappear.
--G

I currently have a bridgestone excedra 130-70/17 on the front. prior to that I had a 130-80/17 metzler on the front.

Just an FYI... even with a Pirelli Strada up front, your tire will cup or scallop some, unless you always ride in a straight line. It's just how front tires wear due to the cornering forces placed on them. Yeah, some tire brands seem to do it worse than others and you can do things that will accelerate the scalloping, like running at lower air pressure, etc.

But really, what's the big deal? I sure wouldn't replace a tire just because it gets a little talkative when leaned over.

Last edited by a moderator:
IMHO After having three Storms replaced under warranty for coming apart, I wouldn't put one on my wheel barrow. :rolleyes:

On my VFR I had cupping issues with Dunlops and Bridgstones and to a lesser degree Metzeler. Never with Pirelli's.

On my FJR, the PO had cupping issues and said he solved it with higher tire pressures, yet he had cupped tires when he sold it to me (Michelen Classic II's). I put on Storms then PR2's, and did not have cupping issues with either ones.

The PO also ran his front preload at medium with little if any rebound / compression.

If you're running the same tires and pressures as the rest of us (36-40 psi PR2's) and still have cupping issues I'd start to suspect suspension condition, settings, and braking technique.

bigger tire on front

I'am still on a quest to find a tire that wont cup in 3k miles or less....anyone put a tire one size larger, like a 130.

<snippage>...Dunlops...Bridgstones...Metzeler...Pirelli's...Michelen ...Storms
The PO also ran his front preload at medium with little if any rebound / compression.

If you're running the same tires and pressures as the rest of us (36-40 psi PR2's) and still have cupping issues I'd start to suspect suspension condition, settings, and braking technique.
Suspension damping can greatly affect tire cupping -- the spring's energy (especially coil springs) oscillates when released; it's the damping mechanism's job to damp those oscillations.

Different loads. speeds, tire types and sizes, pressures, road surfaces, etc. can contribute to the energy imparted to the spring when riding -- adjusting the damping to deal with that energy is a must.

As to the OP's initial question: a bigger size tire may weigh more and, thus, may require increased damping settings to offset spring oscillations due to the increased energy imparted.