Bike down in NAFO 2010

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Damn, sounds like you guys had an eventful trip. So I have a couple questions.

1. How did netbuz make it home? Rental?

2. How much riding did you guys get in before the accident?

Glad to hear things turned out ok. That story alone is a testament to how quickly the Dragon can bite you. I'll be riding it very conservatively on Monday for sure.

Sergeantnic,

I rented a car and drove home Sunday morning. I had about 1100 miles on the trip so I only missed the ride Saturday in the rain and the ride home in the rain.

I got my tee shirt that I survived the Dragon... Moonshine 28 kicked my ass...

Drove home in the big pimp daddy Mercury Grand Marquis... How many people did you scare the hell out of with that big old trooper looking car?

That sudden curve seems to be infamous and is out of character for that stretch of the road, but there are warnings. Last year at the Concours National Rally a woman was killed at the same location. Gotta watch that spot.

Sorry about the bike but glad you came out without any serious injury. I wondered if you had any roadside assistance coverage. I carry AAA RVplus since it offers 100 mi. towing coverage for about $100/yr. and hope I never need it for anything. BTW, I am glad you didn't make asphalt contact with those jeans since bet they wouldn't hold up to well. I'm not critizing since I have been known to ride with jeans too but getting away from it more and more.

doctorj

Sorry about the bike but glad you came out without any serious injury. I wondered if you had any roadside assistance coverage. I carry AAA RVplus since it offers 100 mi. towing coverage for about $100/yr. and hope I never need it for anything. BTW, I am glad you didn't make asphalt contact with those jeans since bet they wouldn't hold up to well. I'm not critizing since I have been known to ride with jeans too but getting away from it more and more.

doctorj
Minor thread hi-jack, but when your AAA expires, check out the Allstate Motor Club. Cheaper than AAA, covers my wife by default, and bikes are included with unlimited towing to an appropriate facility. My AAA RVPlus was getting to a point where it was painfully expensive. Cancelled AAA earlier this year and I still get weekly phone calls and beg mail asking me to rejoin.

Last edited by a moderator:
/snip/

101stpathfinder,

LOL, the scary thing is when you said that I started grinning... but at least you made it home before that aged tire finally gave up the ghost!
Gave up the ghost? I bet 101st plugs it and sees if it will go another 1K. :D That nail was outside the scope of the standard tire "wear" test, you know.
RZ350,

Seems like you have tapped into my train of thought. I was thinking (Before the nail) that I could run it to Texas

in 2 weeks, then change it out before the Ride Around Texas. Now I will not know the limits of a front PR2 for

quite some time, as I am remounting a pilot road that was taken off the bike PREMATURELY when I first bought

the bike last year.

netbuz, keep us updated with your status on a new ride. Lets do a Florida Tech day soon.

Thanks all, if anyone hears of a good next bike let me know.
netbuz,

I can honestly say that was a sight I never want to see again - bike laid across the road with the header pipes and rear suspension linkage starring me in the face as I'm entering the corner :eek:

Luckily, the next thing I saw was you walking around. Hallelujah :yahoo: I'm still amazed at what a good sport you were about the whole thing. I'm pretty certain I would not have taken it is well if I were in your shoes.

I still think it was very strange that we found 2 new rolls of masking tape in the ditch right there - like Betty was begging to be taped back up and ridden home. That green tape would have made for some great Killboy pictures :D

Hopefully you will get to replace Betty soon and we can all get together for a FL ride now that the temps are on the decline. Keep an eye on the Southeast Regional Riding threads.

Thanks all, if anyone hears of a good next bike let me know.
netbuz,

I can honestly say that was a sight I never want to see again - bike laid across the road with the header pipes and rear suspension linkage starring me in the face as I'm entering the corner :eek:

Luckily, the next thing I saw was you walking around. Hallelujah :yahoo: I'm still amazed at what a good sport you were about the whole thing. I'm pretty certain I would not have taken it is well if I were in your shoes.

I still think it was very strange that we found 2 new rolls of masking tape in the ditch right there - like Betty was begging to be taped back up and ridden home. That green tape would have made for some great Killboy pictures :D

Hopefully you will get to replace Betty soon and we can all get together for a FL ride now that the temps are on the decline. Keep an eye on the Southeast Regional Riding threads.

Got a call from the Insurance company, they are sending me the check to replace the bike and I have started looking already. I have found 2 bikes already that are interesting but I need to look at them and make the call. Also I know I want ABS and will not buy another one without it but not sure about Gen1 vs Gen2 at this point. Maybe when I go look they will let me test drive first not knowing the past issue / crash. LOL I have an option to buy Betty back from the insurance company but before I do I would like to verify someone wants the motor and can pick it up soon.

It's not something I want to do again and sometimes those are the breaks. I have always lived by 2 rules in life and will continue to do so after this. First rule is don't sweat the small stuff, Second rule is everything is small stuff. If you can walk away and it's just your bike that is damaged I can not complain one bit and it could have been worse. Insurance is covering the loss and I will be out in a few weeks on the next bike. If there is a tech day for the Florida people I will be there on my new bike or in my truck depending on the purchase.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there anything you'd like to remove from the bike and keep...farkles like seat and electronics ???

Will they let you without any squawking ???

Since I, ah, well, have a few farkles worth something to me on my Gen I, I would have to purchase another '04 but with ABS this time...second choice would be a same '05

35k miles or less would be a big plus with very good verifyable maintenance records

just food for thought as I went through this process when my CCT gave up the ghost and the engine grenaded...I was fortunate then the bike gods made it possible and quite affordable to fix Izabella and was down and out 5 months without going permanently insane

Just glad that you walked away from it. I'll have to keep that area in mind. Maybe I'll have Everett lead!!

As for a SE Florida ride when I get back from my trip this weekend to the Gap I'll be up for a Florida FJR ride.

Man, this was bad news, and not bad.

Hey for those that may not remember me I'm Dabayliner out of Seattle Wa. (well I am now in Auburn, Wa.

I hope to be riding again soon.