Black Foam Sponge Under Oil Filter

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gizmo

Reaction score
I purchased a new-to-me 2007-A last weekend :yahoo: It now has with 3800 miles on it, and that's after a 300 mile ride. So as I was looking it over, admiring my new purchase, I wanted to see if an old oil filter wrench I had would fit the FJR cartridge. As I wiped the bottom of the filter, I noticed a very small amount of oil :angry2: I began looking around to see if there were any drips, couldn't see any. I checked the oil level, and it's smack-dab in the middle of the High and Low marks. I then noticed this black foam sponge, which could be catching any drips. It's to the right and below the filter in thie pics.

The foam looks like it could be OE, but what would it be used for, vibration, something else??? So, Oh wise sages of the forum, please impart some of wisdom and insight...

FJR_OilFilter_BlackFoamSponge-4.jpg

FJR_OilFilter_BlackFoamSponge-3.jpg

First of all it is gray.

Second. It is from the factory. The likely purpose is to damp out vibration from the plastic extension.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's there for when you put in too much oil. It soaks it up as a reserve, then leaves puddles on your garage floor to make you think you have a leak.

It IS Friday after all!!!

Seriously, it is merely an anti-vibration piece for the fairing. You'll find when you remove that side panel of the fairing it is stuck to it.

Space aliens put that there so they can track you.

You must cover your bike with aluminum foil IMMEDIATELY!

Also line your helmet with foil.

This is the ONLY solution!

Regards,

c291a5c5.jpg

Seriously, it is supposed to be there. A helpful tip when changing the oil filter is to remove the screw that holds that portion of the fairing so you can wrap a piece of aluminum foil around that plastic with the foam. When you unscrew the filter the foil will protect the foam from absorbing the escaping oil.

Seriously, it is supposed to be there. A helpful tip when changing the oil filter is to remove the screw that holds that portion of the fairing so you can wrap a piece of aluminum foil around that plastic with the foam. When you unscrew the filter the foil will protect the foam from absorbing the escaping oil.
But he wants it black...

Congrats on the new bike, Gizmo. You're going to love it.

As you've noted from the above, don't sweat the sponge. But keep us posted on if it still seems to be leaking oil around the filter. That would have me a bit worried too.

All of you are full of sheitt....

That there is a fornortner faze inducer to catch excess radium in the air so the govermint can see if any has been transported through ya'alls

city..... all bike service stations know to vacuum test that each time you bring your bike in for service..... hang-on...................................................

had to hit the pipe before it goes out :dribble: :dribble:

now as I was saying....... wait theres a knock on my door.......... damn ..... they found me........... gotta go :assassin: :unsure:

firstoilchangeMarch102007.jpg

Wrap it in foil (to prevent alien attack) and use an allen wrench to hold the plastic out for a no mess oil change.
====

Is that Reynolds wrap or some off brand :dribble: ..... you is a smart feller..... this ones for ODOT

Last edited by a moderator:
Or for a really cool solution (and to preserve your foil for alien protection) open up the yami fliter box and slide it over the plastic. Remove the box after replacing the filter - but before reinstalling the bolt... :winksmiley:

firstoilchangeMarch102007.jpg

Wrap it in foil (to prevent alien attack) and use an allen wrench to hold the plastic out for a no mess oil change.
If I was talented enough to post pictures, that's the photo I would have used. And I wouldn't use the cardboard from the oil filter box. Not big enough, doesn't conform to the shape of the piece like foil does, and most importantly, it's not impervious to the oil soaking through to the foam.

Space aliens put that there so they can track you.
You must cover your bike with aluminum foil IMMEDIATELY!

Also line your helmet with foil.

This is the ONLY solution!

Regards,

c291a5c5.jpg
Dammit! My doc told me I didn't need the foil anymore! Guess I'll have to stop at wally world on my way home tonight, nope. I need to buy in bulk, make it costco

Oh, and don't park the sonofabitch in the grass, or it will fall over. Benairdunnat. (See last post.) phil

Or for a really cool solution (and to preserve your foil for alien protection) open up the yami fliter box and slide it over the plastic. Remove the box after replacing the filter - but before reinstalling the bolt... :winksmiley:

Darn!!! I tried that and I found that the box doesn't hold all the oil and it leaks like crazy :blink: