BLOG SS1000 Ride

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TellurideFJR

I likes to ride!
Reaction score
BLOG from my first 1000+ day trip

The ride started in Park City, Utah at 3:30 AM on a Saturday morning. The bike was a stock 07' FJR 1300A with just a little more that 1000 miles on the odometer. Since Park City is about 400 miles from home this meant that I rode the bike enough to get 600 miles on it, did the service and then took off on this trip. The only real enhancements to the machine are a Givi V46 top case and a Magellan GPS. A stock seat was still under me and I had no music and no highway pegs. I do wear earplugs to keep the wind from driving me crazy.

The first stop was the Wells Fargo ATM on Kearns Blvd. to get my time stamped start documentation. This was followed by a brief detour back the Marriot where my wife and I were staying to get the Camelback that I forgot. I thought about blowing it off but I am glad I did not. Being able to drink while riding was a BIG help. After the hydration pack was retrieved it was out to Kimble Junction and onto I-80 for the blast across the desert. Traffic was light and the riding was easy.

I stopped for bladder relief at about 100 miles at a rest area that had signs to "Watch for Snakes and Scorpions". I didn't see any, but it was still dark out. When I hit Wendover NV I re-fueled and put on my tinted face shield as the sun was rising and I don't like wearing sunglasses inside my helmet. Back onto 80 running at about 80 mph (85 indicated), I did not want to receive any achievement awards from a LEO.

Another stop in Elko for food and fuel, one in Winnemucca (I love saying that word) and finally one in Sparks for more fuel. I also made several pee stops at various rest areas, sans scorpions. Rolling out of the gas station in Sparks I was forced with a decision. Do I stay on 80 over Donner Pass and into Sacramento or ride a more pleasant route across the Sierras? This was a choice of making better time on 80 while being challenged with trucks and cars being in a California hurry (tailgating, crazy lane changes etc.) or having bigger grins and better scenery. I chose the grins and scenery and turned south on 395.

I lived in Northern CA for about 10 years (83-93) and have been on just about every road and every pass in the sierras. South of Tahoe there is 4 viable routes not including 120 through Yosemite (too slow). 50 is too much like a freeway now with too much traffic, 4 is very turny and slow (maybe they have straightened it by now??) 108 is really nice over Monitor Pass but a little more out of the way for me this time, and then there is 88. This has been my favorite for many of my CO to CA trips. With its great scenery and big sweepers posted limit is 55 on most of it, I was in.

Traffic was light and I had no trouble passing the few road plugs that were encountered. I got all of the grins I had gambled on and even with several stops for fuel docs (hitting the corners for IBA) and snacks I still managed a 50 mph average on the way from Reno to Stockton, about 250 miles.

Once I hit CA-99 It was back to combat driving, even the CHP in an unmarked Tahoe was part of the game jockeying for position before the 205 to SF interchange. One nice thing about the FJR is that a quick twist of the grip will put some distance between you and the rest of the caged squids, as long as there was some room ahead. After the 205 traffic lightened up, but the wind started to blow big time. A STRONG cross-wind from the west had me bouncing around really well and was also drying out my eyes.

I stopped at the rest area just south of the 205 to 5 south interchange and used the eye drops I was packing. I also popped a few alleve as my back and knees were feeling the first 12 hours of the ride. Back onto I-5 south I was coming up on another fork in the road. Choice now was to keep riding south to get the miles needed for an IBA cert, or to exercise the bail-out option and head straight into Monterey via 152/ Pachaco Pass. Under much protest from the female voice on my GPS I kept riding south.

This was the part of the trip where I felt the fatigue from the days ride hitting me hard. My right wrist was bothering me from the over-wound throttle return spring (even with a crampbuster), knees and back were still hurting some despite the alleve, my butt was feeling "saddle sore" and worst of all I was feeling my alertness waning. I pushed on down to the turnoff for Coalainga, CA-198 and stopped for fuel.

While getting gas I knew I needed a break so I hit the coffee shop there and sat down at the counter for a meal. After a quick bite I walked down the street a few blocks and back just to move a bit and get some blood to flow. I was feeling better but still not 100% so I opted out of the twisty's of 198 west and got back on I-5 south for the longer but easier route to CA-101. As I turned onto CA-41 south I was feeling better and by the time I hit the Shandon rest area on CA-46 I was getting my stride back. A quick change from day to night face shield, mesh to leather jacket and donned my nylon over-pants set me up for the cold and dark ahead.

Turning back onto CA-46 west I was feeling good. By the time I hit Paso Robles darkness had set in. A quick stop for gas to document the corner point (again the IBA) I headed onto 101 north. Posted limit was 70; the max for any CA freeway, so I ran at about 80 indicated (75-76 according to my GPS) and was passing most other vehicles. The low beams were a bit week in a turn as the lean of the bike keeps the light from seeing too much of the road ahead but when I could hit the high beams, It was like daylight... almost.

Blasting up CA-101 traffic was light until around Soledad. Now it was Saturday Night and the south of Salinas communities were out partying in there bling-bling vehicles. I stopped for fuel in Gonzales and could not believe the traffic, kinda like cruising night from the fifties with all of the kids out blasting stereos and buying beer. The stereos didn't bother me but the fact that it was 9:30 on a Saturday and it looked like most people were drinking did. I only had a few more miles left to go on 101 and was relieved when I hit the Abbott St/ Spreckles exit.

If you have never been down the road through Spreckles you may have still seen it. Many car commercials have been filmed there as there are VERY large trees lining both sides of the road. During the day it looks very cool and it even looked good at night since there were no other vehicles on the road and the high-beams were blazing.

I made the turn onto CA-68 west and did not have any cars in front of or behind me all the way into Monterey. I beeped my horn and waved to the sign at the entrance to Laguna Seca raceway, my favorite track in the US, and made my way onto CA-1 south. A few miles later I had arrived. The gas station at the intersection of Rio Rd and CA-1 provided my time and date stamped document and my sister was my witness when I arrived at her house a few minutes later, saddle sore but happy! :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Start time 03:41 MDT

Start Mileage 1049

End Time 22:34 PDT

End Mileage 2146

Total Time on the road 19:53

Total Miles traveled 1097*

*Mileage readings from my odometer may not be accurate. Mileage was checked with MapQuest and showed 1077.01

Arrival in Carmel CA

May2007193.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I was hoping to catch a glimpse of you rolling through Elko, but you were too early. Maybe next time! Congrats on the successful run. A lot of fun, isn't it?