Bluestreak and MCML Ride to Alaska

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's the old saw, too many roads not enough time.

We spent extra days in Denali since the weather and views were perfect then Fairbanks turned into a 24 hr pit stop to 3 days and counting, parts might be here tomorrow.

We have used most of our buffer time and need to make some serious distance East.

I'm not too disappointed it's really only an excuse to come back.

Oh Denali (Mt McKinley) looks like this (we took the flight and glacier landing)

Chris

DSC09274.jpg

DSC09297.jpg

DSC09422.jpg

Wow!

That must have been an absolutely amazing day! Thanks for the great photos.

20,320 feet and so close to the ocean. Hard to believe

It's the old saw, too many roads not enough time.We spent extra days in Denali since the weather and views were perfect then Fairbanks turned into a 24 hr pit stop to 3 days and counting, parts might be here tomorrow.

We have used most of our buffer time and need to make some serious distance East.

I'm not too disappointed it's really only an excuse to come back.

Oh Denali (Mt McKinley) looks like this (we took the flight and glacier landing)

Chris

DSC09274.jpg

DSC09297.jpg

DSC09422.jpg
Great photo's Bug

I think if I was stuck in Fairbanks I would look into renting a bike.

I think there are a couple of outfits that rent BMW's, KLR's and Stroms which might be better suited for running the Dalton.

When we left Dawson City we had no idea how far we would ride that day. Late in the day, we stopped outside Whitehorse to fuel up. We were, more or less, thinking about Teslin as the place to stop overnight. While we were gassing up, however, one of us, I think it was Bluestreek, said something along the lines of “What about Skagway?”

Skagway, or Skaguay as it is sometimes spelled, is now mostly a stop for cruise ships and it would be a detour of 150 miles or so to ride the spur road down and back. It was already late afternoon but the day was clear and we decided to head for Skagway and spend the night of the 4th of July there. It proved to be a good decision, not because anything was happening on the 4th in Skagway (we just missed the parade and the fireworks display had been put on the previous evening), but because the road into the town is simply delightful.

The road cuts though mountain with interesting granite formations, lakes and forests. The last part drops sharply to the coast. Think of a cross between California’s Tioga Pass Road and Highway 36.

Unfortunately, none of the photos I tried to shoot from the moving bike came out so you will just have to go ride that road yourself. . . . And I will have to return to take some pictures.

This is the border crossing going into Skagway (international crossing number nine - of a total of ten - for us this trip counting the four at Stewart, BC / Hyder, AK).

P7040334.jpg

We checked into the local Westmark Inn (the third time we has stayed at a Westmark on this trip) and headed for dinner. The town of Skagway is pleasant place to walk around.

P7040337.jpg

P7040338.jpg

P7040341.jpg

The next morning we headed back up that gorgeous road and ran mostly east. We decided to continue past Watson Lake and ended up stopping at an isolated lodge in Munchos Lake. Along the way we saw lots of wildlife including dozens of bison

P7050356.jpg

Fortunately, there was room at the inn. As there was no other place to eat, we headed for the dining room and ordered our food. I got up to look at a very large carved, wooden map of the area that took up most of one of the dining room’s walls. As I walked over, I passed a table where a couple sat. The woman was wearing an IBA T-shirt and the guy at the table looked familiar. Turns out that the couple was Bill Watt and Susan Murphy. We joined them for dinner and swapped stories about the Dalton and other places. A most pleasant evening.

P7050364.jpg

P7050365.jpg

Oddly, two days later, south of Prince George, I ran into Bill and Susan at a gas station. I hope that they had a good ride home to Vancouver.

We loved the run into Skagway. We took the ferry from there to Hanies and rode up to Haines Junction on the way into Alaska

Chris

A lot of those pics look strangely reminisent of a past journey :rolleyes:

Well done both of you, it was quite the journey indeed ! it absolutely killed me to head south when you both headed north, but I followed your tracks every day and bitched and whined to anyone that'd listen at work ! :D , just laying the ground work for future sabaticals from work. ;)

…and the road goes on forever (yes, that was the song).
or " the road goes on forever, but the party never ends "

Robert Earl Keen

Excellent report mi amigo ! :clapping: