BMR 2018 is cranking up!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm going to watch Hud and try to tag along some this year. I may branch further into TOH though. For those new like me- the BMR app (search IBMR 2018) greatly simplifies things.

Last edited by a moderator:
might look into it after the ice is gone if there is enough time left. Haven't done any rally stuff for years.

might look into it after the ice is gone if there is enough time left. Haven't done any rally stuff for years.
The rally runs through the end of May so there should be ample time for you to get out and enjoy finding some cool things that you didn't even know existed in your own backyard (so to speak)! B)

Wow.
uhoh.gif

I've been reading the BMR docs online and I'm going to have LOT of questions. Is this the right place to post questions?

Are the bonus locations already posted here? Or are these just examples, and the real ones will come out on 1/1?

If these are the real listings, does that mean people are already routing and planning their rides? If so I'm really late to this game!

I would appreciate any recommendations on how to organize this madness. I've heard of people using a spreadsheet or some other method to plan out their bonuses, mileage and locations. Is there an easier or more straight-forward method of deciding which of these bazillion points to focus on?

glasses.gif

Wow.
uhoh.gif
I've been reading the BMR docs online and I'm going to have LOT of questions. Is this the right place to post questions?

Are the bonus locations already posted here? Or are these just examples, and the real ones will come out on 1/1?

If these are the real listings, does that mean people are already routing and planning their rides? If so I'm really late to this game!

I would appreciate any recommendations on how to organize this madness. I've heard of people using a spreadsheet or some other method to plan out their bonuses, mileage and locations. Is there an easier or more straight-forward method of deciding which of these bazillion points to focus on?

glasses.gif
Deep breath... it can be totally overwhelming for a first timer... take it in small bites and try not to stress about it too much because the overall idea of this rally is to go for some rides, see some new stuff, and have FUN! Yes, feel free to post questions here or, if you are on FB, there is a page there as well with questions and answers. Yes, that is the right page for the bonus pack. The placards will come out in the new few days in time to start on 1/1. Yes, people have already started their routing but remember this rally goes through the end of May so you've got lots of time and there are a lot of point whores in this rally and folks who have a lot of time on their hands so they'll be out of the gate fast and furious... I tend to like to take my time and enjoy the things that I'll be seeing along the way... YMMV.

A lot of folks more tech savvy than I am use Streets & Trips to load the .gpx files and work from there. Do take your time to read the bonus instructions thoroughly to avoid any costly mistakes... sucks to ride 150 miles for a bonus and then not get the points because you didn't match the criteria as written... damhik. ;) I also usually carry a hard copy with me or download the pdf to a computer or whatever in case there's no signal where I'm at and I want to double check something.

From the FB page:

BMR is 146 days long this year. You have LOTS of time to ensure you get a good picture at the bonus location. The BMR is not like many other rallies where just a POP (Proof of Presence) picture will suffice. Once you have ridden to the bonus location your work is only 75% done - getting a good picture is the next 25%.

Taking a good picture is part of the sport and difficulty of the Rally and the scorers and successful BMR riders take it seriously. Your submissions will be on the web for all to see. We will all know what effort you put into the submission and we will all judge your effort against others that went to that same location.

The worst thing is riding 100 miles in cold weather to then take a sloppy picture and get no points...
1f62a.png

On WORD match bonuses, be sure to fill your image with the bonus word - scorers have to look at literally thousands of submissions, please don't make them have to search your picture or zoom way in on the image in order to see the word you are trying to submit .

On PICTURE match bonuses, make sure you are recreating the sample picture as best as is possible including ANGLE and PICTURE ORIENTATION (Landscape or Portrait) Submitting a portrait mode picture when the sample picture is in Landscape mode puts you half way to a RED scoring. This is because in order to get all of the bonus material into the frame you often have to back up too much - DON'T DO IT.

Before you submit your best effort to the BMR web site, be your own scorer and critically look at your submission. Decide if you were on the scoring team whether you would score your submission GREEN?

BMR veterans and newbies, if you haven't read the "Tips for Scoring Success" yet this year, take a minute and read through the document - there is some good information in there that will help you and make your BMR experience more successful.

https://bigmoneyrally.com/2018/downloads/newsletters/2018BMRTips.pdf

Scorers want to make every submission GREEN - give them a reason to do so.

Most of all be sure to have fun!

Steve in Phx posted: You guys talked me to into it. I just registered.
Check your inbox, and welcome to the fun! Let's see if I can answer a few questions ....

Is the BMR appropriate for a beginner rally participant (but long time rider)?

Absolutely. It's NOT a timed event -- well, it is, but the clock runs for five months. That gives you plenty of time to plan a ride, learn from your mistakes (if any), and plan another ride. It allows you to postpone a weekend ride for bad weather. It reduces the urgency, so you don't have to ride 18 hours straight if you don't want to. There's no on-the-clock pressure .... unless you're gunning to win the whole thing like Griff.

I checked the BMR site and FB page but couldn't figure out if the BMR covers a particular region, or if it's all over the map. Would I have to travel back and forth across the country to complete it? I need to know what I'm committing to.

The BMR is indeed nationwide, but you don't have to travel far to reach Finisher status. Look for a few big-point bonus locations within 200 miles, and be aware of the high-value "one day only" bonuses. There's also Word of the Day and Word of the Hour that you should be able to easily find in a city as big as Phoenix.

Is there a limit on the # of riders that can participate?

No limit. Doesn't really matter since you're competing against point totals for Finisher, Bronze, Silver, etc.

Is this the right place to post questions?

Well, there are a few seasoned veterans on this Forum who can answer most of them, and Ignacio probably won't object to a little Q&A here. Official-official answers must come from Big Money Rally Global Headquarters, reachable through the website.

Are the bonus locations already posted here? If these are the real listings, does that mean people are already routing and planning their rides? If so I'm really late to this game!

Yes, the real bonus listing is there, and I've already got five rides planned. So yes, you're late to the game. BUT THE RALLY LASTS FIVE MONTHS! Don't sweat it, brother: even if you are Type-A like Griff, you've still got three or four days to plan.

NOTE: There's already an addendum, and new bonuses will be in the weekly newsletters, too. Whatever plans have been made are subject to significant revision based on the constant additions.

I would appreciate any recommendations on how to organize this madness.

For picture-match themes, RenoJohn typically includes all bonii in a GPX file that uploads directly into your mapping program. For word-match themes, use Google to find a nearby location and use Street View to confirm it will be suitable.

Example: the BD theme requires word matches for bird names. Bonus BD002 is "Osprey". If you search Google for "Osprey Atlanta", the first listing is a business named Osprey Filters on Briarwood Road. Street View for that address shows an easily-seen "OSPREY" with a good place to park and snatch my photo:

24468569367_806cc03d2d_o.jpg

That bonus is on one of my already-planned rides, which was created using a system developed by Ignacio and Jim Owen. Here's a Forum post that describes it in detail.

Other questions? Check your PM, and we'll do the rest of this off-line. No sense in blabbing all my secrets.

(PS: Hugs and Kisses, Griff!
love.gif
)

27294700419_41c1e83e49_o.jpg

You're welcome to ride all the way here for a lousy 1.853 points.

BUT, I've been trying to examine the metadata on posted BMR photos. Does anyone know if the photo's lat/long is in there somewhere?

griff posted: Thanks Hud. Right near my Jan. 1 route. Should be there about 6 am.
rolleyes.gif
You're welcome, sir! My only purpose in life is to be of service to you and RFlagg42.

Uncle Hud posted:Does anyone know if the photo's lat/long is in there somewhere?
Best guess after some research? That metadata is lost when the photo is posted on the BMR site. Too bad. Would be great to poach lat/long from the southeastern competitors.

(Best research article -- and it's a short, VERY interesting piece -- discusses a few of the 460 metadata tags in smartphone image files: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-06-23/what-your-photos-and-their-metadata-say-about-you/8642630)

8642934-3x2-700x467.jpg

"What do you think about on long rides?"
"How to kill Irish Phil."
grin.gif
Well he certainly has had ample opportunity to do so over the years. But alas I am still among the living and a big fan of

the "MoBob". Just don't tell him, it will go right to his head. I just hope he survives this "We love Bob Fest" fanfare and

frivolities the BMR has for him this year. I see some much needed therapy on the horizon for him.
smile.png
At the very least

we should chip in and get him a larger helmet to fit over his soon to be enlarged head!
uhoh.gif
In the meantime, GO BOB GO!

bike.gif