Boats.net DBA Partzilla.com

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fred W

1 Wheel Drive
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I've had an unfortunate occurrence recently, which now allows me the opportunity to replace some of the body panels in the nose faring along with the headlamp bucket on my '05 FJR.

Searching for the parts needed I found that the best prices on these parts was from Partzilla.com. Further investigation shows that this website is run by the same folks who run Boat.net. Interestingly the prices were actually lower on the Partzilla web site than on the sister Boats.net site.

Order was placed on 05/18/13 for four parts totaling a bit over over $600. I watched the order status and after a several days, on 5/23 received email notice that the order had been sourced, and had shipped. Great... I'll be able to patch the old Bass Bote Blue Beauty up in plenty of time for our planned trip to Canada for CFR.

The email notice contained a FedEx Ground waybill number and indicated that all 4 parts were shipped on that tracking number, but when I clicked on it, or entered the number into FedEx tracking it came up as invalid. No problem, sometimes these things take a while to update. Right?

A few days later on 5/29 a package arrived (with a completely different waybill number on it.) It was badly (loosely) taped up, with far too little packing material inside it for the fragile parts. When I opened the box I was dismayed to find that it only contained 2 out of the 4 parts that I had ordered. It had the two painted faring parts I need but not the most expensive and critical part, the headlight bucket, or the little front tuning fork logo (not important).

I called and contacted their customer support people and explained what had happened. The operator took my information and indicated that they would process it and get approval to "re-ship" the missing parts.

I received no updates for a few days, and the order status never changed on their web site, so I called again to get a status update. At that time the agent told me that the missing parts had already been shipped and gave me another FedEx waybill number. When I looked up that waybill number at FedEx it showed that this second package had been delivered on Friday 5/31 and "Left at Garage."

WTF? I was here all day on the 31st and there were no FedEx trucks that day, and no parts had been left here, so where had it been left? I called FedEx and gave them the tracking number and they told me, yes it had been dropped off and left at the garage. I asked them what the address they had was, and she told me a completely different delivery name and address, across town in my same town.

I drove over to that address and caught the recipient at home, luckily, talked to him and sure enough yes, he had received a package from Partzilla.com on the 31st. But that was some stuff that he had ordered for his four wheelers from them.

Back home, on the phone to Partzilla.com customer service and relayed my findings, the agent now said they would need to investigate and file a claim with FedEx for the allegedly mis-delivered package. I told her, no... I think you are the ones who have made the mistake here since your system can't seem to keep your own waybill information straight. The package arrived 2 days after the parts were discovered missing by me, so they would have had to be clairvoyant to have shipped them by FedEx ground from Georgia to arrive that soon.

The original FedEx order still shows the bogus waybill on their web site, BTW.

Believe it or not, it gets even better...

So they tell me that now they need to get approval "from my manager" to ship me the parts that I am missing (because they failed to put them in the box.) Three more days later, checking status with them each day, they now have great news for me today:

"Congratulations... the re-order has been approved by my manager. The new order number is XXXYYYZZZ."

"When will I expect to see these parts then?"

"Oh we have to re-order them from Yamaha. They won't be available here to ship to you before the 14th."

omg2.gif

I check on the given Order # XXXYYYZZZ and, you guessed it, it doesn't exist on their own web site.

I just found a guy on eBay (located in California) that told me on the phone that he has the required headlight bucket in his hand and that he will sell it to me and ship it out tomorrow.

This is going to cost me $336 for just that headlight, as compared to the 268.77 that I already paid nearly a month ago to Boats.net (aka Partzilla), so I can get this damn thing before my planned trip.

I will never, ever do business with these inept incompetents again.

As usual, YMMV.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had pretty good luck with them. My only gripe (so far) has been that they don't show stocking status of items. So you never know how long it will take to get something in hand.

I have had pretty good luck with them. My only gripe (so far) has been that they don't show stocking status of items. So you never know how long it will take to get something in hand.
I had a similar experience with them. Ordered exhaust gaskets and an abs test jumper. They didn't show stock level. The jumper was no longer available from Yamaha but the gaskets were in stock. They were waiting to ship the gaskets when the jumper came in even though it was no longer available. After a couple weeks I called and got them to ship the gaskets.

I've had good luck with Partshark. Fred, 5VS-84300-20-00 , headlight assy., is $253 from partshark. Their prices are usually the lowest or within a few bucks.

I should mention that I had previously ordered parts from Boats.net with no problems.

If you wish to use them them I wish you better luck than I have had.

That's all I have to report.

Keep it factual.

I also had a negative experience with them recently. I was ordering seals and bushings for a fork rebuild and they were by far the lowest price - probably $15 cheaper than I saw elsewhere on a $65 order. However, you do get what you pay for in service. I got an email a couple days later that my order had shipped (it hadn't). I logged into their webpage to get order status and everything is listed as TBA. I wait a few days assuming the website is just crap. When nothing arrives, I call the customer disservice number. After holding for a ridiculous 24 minutes (yes, I timed it), I found out they were waiting on one of the 8 items to ship the order. The rep said it was going to be partially shipped and was in the warehouse, but couldn't give an ETA on actual shipment or when the back-order part would be in.

Here's the best part. When I suggest they need to do something about their online order tracking, I get the response: "I just work here." At that point I ask for a supervisor to discuss the situation. He "looks" for a supervisor while I'm on hold for 5 minutes. When he comes back, he informs me that he wasn't able to find any supervisor but did go out to the warehouse to find out that the in-stock portion of my order would ship that day and I would be receiving an email with the tracking info. No such email ever came. The parts did show up 4 days later and the back-order part after another 5 days.

Use them to save a few bucks only if you have a lot of time and a lot of patience.

PS - The definition of irony is calling their customer disservice line where the hold music lauds Partzilla as being the fastest growing part retailer with the fastest shipping in the industry.