Books on riding and/or motorcycles

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After reading many posts on the forum I have decided I want to buy a book that was mentioned on the forum. But, boy is it hard to find a certain post that mentions a good book when you can't remember the name of the book. Or, maybe you want to find a book on cornering, but which one? So, here is a list of a few of the books I have found on the forum. I am linking to amazon (when possible) since most of the books have reviews. Please feel free to add you favorite books and review of them.

Color key:

BLUE = Technique oriented book

RED = NOT a technique oriented book

Proficient Motorcycling: The Ultimate Guide to Riding Well--David L. Hough

More Proficient Motorcycling: Mastering the Ride--David L. Hough

MSF Guide to Motorcycling Excellence--MSF

Smooth Riding the Pridmore Way--Reg Pridmore

Total Control: High Performance Street Riding Techniques--Lee Parks

Twist of the Wrist: The Motorcycle Roadracers Handbook--Keith Code

A Twist of the Wrist 2: The Basics of High-Performance Motorcycle Riding--Keith Code

Sport Riding Techniques: How To Develop Real World Skills for Speed, Safety, and Confidence on the Street and Track--Nick Ienatsch

How To Ride A Motorcycle: A Rider's Guide to Strategy, Safety and Skill Development--Pat (Patrick)Hahn (suggested by drewvanracer)

Ride Hard, Ride Smart: Ultimate Street Strategies for Advanced Motorcyclists--Pat (Patrick) Hahn (suggested by Captain B)

Ghost Rider: Travels on the Healing Road--Neil Peart (suggested by CraigRegs)

Leanings: Best of Peter Egan from Cycle World--Peter Egan (suggested by ieduffield)

Leanings 2: Great Stories by America's Favorite Motorcycle Writer--Peter Egan (suggested by ieduffield)

Long Way Round: Chasing Shadows Across the World--Ewan Mcgregor and Charley Boorman (suggested by TriggerT)

Going the Extra Mile: Insider Tips for Long-Distance Motorcycling and Endurance Rallies--Ron Ayres (suggested by TriggerT)

Against the Clock: The incredible story of the 7/49--Ron Ayres (suggested by TriggerT)

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance--Robert M. Pirsig

Official Honda Common Service Manual--Unkown Author (suggested by Crash Cash)

Carroll Smith's Nuts, Bolts, Fasteners and Plumbing Handbook--Carroll Smith (suggested by Crash Cash)

Sportbike Performance Handbook--Kevin Cameron (suggested by Crash Cash)

Top Dead Center--Kevin Cameron (suggested by Crash Cash)

The Perfect Vehicle: What It is about Motorcycles--Melissa Holbrook Pierson (suggested by Crash Cash)

Britten Motorcycles: The John Britten Story--Felicity Price (suggested by Crash Cash)

Motorcycle Design and Technology Handbook--Gaetano Cocco (suggested by Crash Cash)

The Art of the Motorcycle--Guggenheim Museum Publications (suggested by Crash Cash)

Techniques of Motor Cycle Road Racing --Kenny Roberts (suggested by Crash Cash)

Motorcycles: Fundamentals, Service, Repair--Bruce A. Johns & David D. Edmundson (suggested by Crash Cash)

[SIZE=8pt]NOTE-Motorcycles: Fundamentals, Service, Repair has a workbook by author John Hurt. The workbook is not the book reviewed and is not worth purchasing with the main text.[/SIZE]

Jupiters Travels: Four Years Around the World on a Triumph--Ted Simon (suggested by Wild72)

Riding High--Ted Simon (suggested by Wild72)

The Perfect Vehicle: What It is about Motorcycles--Melissa Holbrook Pierson (suggested by iboldguy)

Riding with Rilke: Reflections on Motorcycles and Books--Ted Bishop (suggested by Motorcycledoc)

Zero to Sixty: The Motorcycle Journey of a Lifetime--Gary Paulsen (suggested by Scoops)

REVIEWS & COMMENTS

General Advice

~~~Squeezer - Save the "go fast" books for after the "stay alive" books have been read.

~~~v65 - I was pleasantly surprised at how many of these books were available at the chain bookstore I visit. Makes it easier for the picking.

~~~v65 - In conclusion, don't limit yourself to just one, but put Park's in your top two or three at least.

~~~Bounce - One excellent resource for Moto books is Whitehorse Press.

~~~ARFJR - Aerostich has one of the best listings of books & films & such that I've found. Link

Proficient Motorcycling: The Ultimate Guide to Riding Well--David L. Hough

~~~Drewvanracer - My #1 book on my list is Proficient Motorcycling: The Ultimate Guide to Riding Well

~~~Squeezer - Proficient Motorcycling, for sure. That should be required reading for all riders. When my nephew bought his first bike last year, that was the one I sent to him.

~~~RiderCoach Lar - Number one book my list. (paraphrased by John T)

~~~v65 - I only looked at one of Hough's books , it looked like it was geared toward beginning riders: much of the content was in the MSF course.

~~~one day - Proficient Motorcycling covers a lot of aspects including a discussion of 'seeing' more by just moving the focus of your attention and not your eyes, and it also covers why rolling through the corners is so important as well. The book covers a number of different scenarios--what to wear and how to ride when it's raining, riding on super slab, riding in the urban jungle. If I'd recommend just one, it's this one. Oh, he's a big big fan of becoming proficient at panic braking--ABS or not so you're not hesitant to clamp down when you need to.

More Proficient Motorcycling: Mastering the Ride--David L. Hough

~~~JimLor - Number three book my list. My top three books all really address the same things - throttle/brakes/cornering. (paraphrased by John T)

~~~RiderCoach Lar - Number two book my list. (paraphrased by John T)

~~~v65 - I only looked at one of Hough's books , it looked like it was geared toward beginning riders: much of the content was in the MSF course.

MSF Guide to Motorcycling Excellence--MSF

~~~Squeezer - The MSF guide is a great primer and I think everyone should read that one before they get on a bike. But Hough's books are better.

Smooth Riding the Pridmore Way--Reg Pridmore

No Reviews yet

Total Control: High Performance Street Riding Techniques--Lee Parks

~~~JimLor - Number one book my list. My top three books all really address the same things - throttle/brakes/cornering. (paraphrased by John T)

~~~exakibum - Total Control is also excellent, though I haven't taken his course.

~~~v65 - Although it containts a lot of the same info as Code's book, I like the writing in Park's book. Its much more readable IMO as he isn't afraid to use some very mild technical jargon and the occasional graph. In fact it took me a while to realize these books shared content: after reading Code's book, then Park's book, then Code's book again I finally figured out what the heck Code was trying to say. Parks also has nice chapters on suspension, and suspension setup that are definitely worth reading.

~~~Kevin Daly - Have read Total Control - Lee Parks and Twist of the Wrist II - Keith Code. I liked them both but I like Total Control better, i reread it (I never do that normally) (paraphrased by John T)

~~~quicksilver - Total Control is stellar, with a slant toward where you head needs to be. It should be required for everyone applying for a MC license.

Twist of the Wrist: The Motorcycle Roadracers Handbook--Keith Code

~~~one day - Twist of the wrist is orientated way much towards the track but has key elements of where to spend your concentration and how to practice 'seeing' the panorama by focusing your attention and not moving your eyes.

~~~Bounce - i was hoping his book was better. i have his DVD on TotW2 and, while the kernels of learning are there for those who are dedicated to harvesting them, the presentation is some of the worst i've ever seen. PEEE YOU!

~~~Kevin Daly - I wasnt impressed with detail/delivery in Codes book either. but it was useful.

A Twist of the Wrist 2: The Basics of High-Performance Motorcycle Riding--Keith Code

~~~JimLor - Number two book my list. My top three books all really address the same things - throttle/brakes/cornering. (paraphrased by John T)

~~~v65 - I think Code's books have some good info, but they just are not written that well. He addressed his books (at least twist II) for folks without a lot of education. The problem is that he tries to convey technical ideas using simplified grammar, and he just doesn't get his thoughts across clearly. In fact each chapter comes with a section of words definitions - as an example, in Twist II, on page xii he states a definition of ridiculed as "made fun of".

~~~Bounce - i was hoping his book was better. i have his DVD on TotW2 and, while the kernels of learning are there for those who are dedicated to harvesting them, the presentation is some of the worst i've ever seen. PEEE YOU!

~~~Kevin Daly - I wasnt impressed with detail/delivery in Codes book either. but it was useful.

~~~one day - Twist II has a great explanation of why rolling on the throttle is the right thing to do when going through corners. This explanation is pretty straight forward and for me probably the most helpful aspect of the entire read.

Sport Riding Techniques: How to Develop Real World Skills for Speed, Safety, and Confidence on the Street and Track--Nick Ienatsch

~~~JimLor - For whatever reason, Nick's book "spoke" to me more than the others. The biggest, biggest change to my riding came from his book. I understand picking a line, but none of the books tell you what the wrong line feels like. One simple sentence in Nick's book that said in effec - if you find yourself turning in and then turning in again in the turn, then you're turning early!! I have to tell you that reading that changed my riding unbelievably for the better! No more turning in and then getting that "oh crap" and turning in again routine. That and looking where you want to go have had the biggest positive impacts on my riding. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

~~~exakibum - +100 on Ienatsch's book -- reread it periodically -- it's the Bible in my opinion, and VERY well written.

~~~wpbfjr - +100 (referring to exakibum's review)

~~~quicksilver - Sport Riding Techniques seemed a little more advanced and I felt like it was written to me. (Especially regarding not starting the lean to early, going deeper into the curve turning sharper is actually safer, that was news to me, but it made sense after the sight lines were explained.)

How to Ride a Motorcycle: A Rider's Guide to Strategy, Safety, and Skill Development --Pat (Patrick) Hahn

~~~Drewvanracer - Contained some great content, and it was the most fun to read. I agree that Mindset is the most important aspect of keeping safe. And the three/four attitudes riders need to survive drives home the point. Great for a beginning rider.

Ride Hard, Ride Smart: Ultimate Street Strategies for Advanced Motorcyclists --Pat (Patrick) Hahn

~~~Captain B - It changed the way I approach my every day riding immediately. It has motivated me to get involved - to the degree that I can - in the new safety study that is being jointly sponsored by Congress and AMA, it is very compelling stuff. Combining Sport Riding Techniques and Ride Hard-Ride Safe would really make a difference for every FJR pilot. (paraphrased by John T)

Ghost Rider: Travels on the Healing Road--Neil Peart

~~~CraigRegs - Not a technique oriented book, but more travelogue and therapy session is Neil Peart's "Ghost Rider". Heart-wrenching opening, and wonderful writing and narrative throughout. Peart for those who don't know is the drummer and lyricist for Rush. This is his second or third book, and just heard he has a new one out chronicling his rides between cities on a recent Rush tour.

~~~Buckford - +1 on Ghost Rider..reading it for the third time. Like Craig said..he's pretty depressed and mad at the world over the loss of his wife and daughter..but the way he describes the trip makes you feel like your right there with him. Great for guys like me who want but don't get to do any serious travel.

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance--Robert M. Pirsig

~~~Zenwhipper - Stay away from Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance! Did not like one bit - even though its a classic.

Official Honda Common Service Manual--Unkown Author

~~~Crash Cash - This is a several-hundred-page factory service manual that covers everything that a normal model-specific factory service manual doesn't. It's got tips, tricks, and "how it works" info that's invaluable to figuring out a sense of how things should be done. It's expensive as hell ($60 or so?) but worth every nickel.

Carroll Smith's Nuts, Bolts, Fasteners and Plumbing Handbook--Carroll Smith

~~~Crash Cash - While this is for race cars and not motorcycles, it's a book that puts across the philosophy of how to do things RIGHT on a vehicle that goes fast, so that metal doesn't get bent and people don't get killed, so it definitely fits in here.

Sportbike Performance Handbook--Kevin Cameron

~~~Crash Cash - One of the smartest writers in motorcycle technology talks about stuff you can do (and shouldn't do) to your sportbike. A "must have" book.

Top Dead Center--Kevin Cameron

~~~Crash Cash - I guess this can best be described as sort of an autobiography of the weird things that Kevin's seen happen during his many years of motorcycle racing. It talks about changes & fashions in technology and his musings on why they did or didn't work. You'll learn a lot from this book, or at least have a lot to think about.

The Perfect Vehicle: What It is about Motorcycles--Melissa Holbrook Pierson

~~~Crash Cash - I've ridden a bike as my daily transportation, by myself, without a car, for the past 15 or so years. This is the book that comes closest to describing what that's like without any "Zen and the art of..." BS.

Britten Motorcycles: The John Britten Story--Felicity Price

~~~Crash Cash - This is a book about John Britten that doesn't put him on a podium and worship him, it just describes some of the amazing stuff he did, and what the man was actually like. It's got amazing pictures, including the house that John built.

Motorcycle Design and Technology Handbook--Gaetano Cocco

~~~Crash Cash - This is a book that goes deep into the science and theory behind motorcycle stability and chassis design. Don't get it if you're scared of science and math.

The Art of the Motorcycle--Guggenheim Museum Publications

~~~Crash Cash - About 2 inches worth of beautifully photographed motorcycles, that isn't 90% Harleys like most motorcycle photo books. Just absolutely amazing.

Techniques of Motor Cycle Road Racing--Kenny Roberts

~~~Crash Cash - Do you think he knows what he's talking about? It's about the "joy" of racing Yamahas for 20 years, including at the 500GP level. Probably out of print, and no, you CAN'T borrow my copy.

Motorcycles: Fundamentals, Service, Repair--Bruce A. Johns & David D. Edmundson

[SIZE=8pt]NOTE-Motorcycles: Fundamentals, Service, Repair has a workbook by author John Hurt. The workbook is not the book reviewed and is not worth purchasing with the main text.[/SIZE]

~~~Crash Cash - This is really dated, and it's more of a textbook than a book you'd sit down and read, but the clear and simple explanations and diagrams been invaluable over the years when I'm talking to non-motorcycle people, or when I'm having a technical argument with someone, and I need an authority I can go to.

Jupiters Travels: Four Years Around the World on a Triumph--Ted Simon

~~~Wild72 - True account of a journey that took four years, covered 78,000 miles through 45 countries, and done on a Triumph Tiger 100. (One of only two books I have ever read more than once)

Riding High--Ted Simon

~~~Wild72 - Untold episodes that were left out of "Jupiter's Travels". (The other book I have read more than once!)

The Perfect Vehicle: What It is about Motorcycles--Melissa Holbrook Pierson

~~~ibolfguy - One of the best general reads, really nailed for me 'What it is about motocycling. Loved it!

Riding with Rilke: Reflections on Motorcycles and Books--Ted Bishop

~~~Motorcycledoc - Ted is an English Professor, James Joyce scholar, and motorcycle enthusiast. He compares his passion for literature with his passion for riding. I found it a thoroughly enjoyable read.

Zero to Sixty: The Motorcycle Journey of a Lifetime--Gary Paulsen

~~~Scoops - This is similar to Ghostrider, but shorter and a little easier to read. Gary Paulsen is a survivalist who has participated in several Iditarods and has written a handful of books on his experiences that made writing his survival/adventure fiction books possible. GUTS is one example (light reading, but good).

Leanings: Best of Peter Egan from Cycle World--Peter Egan

No Reviews yet

Leanings 2: Great Stories by America's Favorite Motorcycle Writer--Peter Egan

No Reviews yet

Long Way Round: Chasing Shadows Across the World--Ewan Mcgregor and Charley Boorman

No Reviews yet

Going the Extra Mile: Insider Tips for Long-Distance Motorcycling and Endurance Rallies--Ron Ayres

No Reviews yet

Against the Clock: The incredible story of the 7/49--Ron Ayres

No Reviews yet

[SIZE=8pt]***EDIT*** 6/10/2007[/SIZE]

I moved everyone's reviews and comments to the bottom of my post so Admins can keep topic on a single page.

Please keep adding reviews and books!

[SIZE=8pt]***EDIT*** 8/8/2007[/SIZE]

New reviews and book added. The new book is "Ride Hard, Ride Smart: Ultimate Street Strategies for Advanced Motorcyclists" by Patrick Hahn. This author appears to have a book published on the first name "Pat" and another under "Patrick"

[SIZE=8pt]***EDIT*** 9/16/2008[/SIZE]

Added books "Leanings: Best of Peter Egan from Cycle World" and "Leanings 2: Great Stories by America's Favorite Motorcycle Writer" by Peter Egan to the list. In addition, I added a color key to identify technique oriented books from non-technique oriented books.

Added books "Long Way Round: Chasing Shadows Across the World" by Ewan Mcgregor and Charley Boorman, and "Going the Extra Mile: Insider Tips for Long-Distance Motorcycling and Endurance Rallies" and "Against the Clock: The incredible story of the 7/49" by Ron Ayres.

Added a bunch more books. To many to list.

[SIZE=8pt]***EDIT*** 10/15/2008[/SIZE]

Added books "The Perfect Vehicle: What It is about Motorcycles" by Melissa Holbrook Pierson,"Riding with Rilke: Reflections on Motorcycles and Books" by and Ted Bishop, and "Zero to Sixty: The Motorcycle Journey of a Lifetime" by Gary Paulsen.

ADMIN NOTE: Posts beyond this point will be considered for addition to this post and deleted as needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent post John.Your comprehensive write up would be a good part of any motorcycle magazine's Christmas buying guide section or a featured section on motorcycle books.I'll be referring back to it from time to time.Thanks.

This is a most stellar thread!! Perhaps it will end up in the Bin of Facts after some more input.

Based on recommendations of others, I bought Total Control and Sport Riding Techniques.

Total Control is stellar, with a slant toward where you head needs to be.

It should be required for everyone applying for a MC license.

Sport Riding Techniques seemed a little more advanced and I felt like it was written to me.

(Especially regarding not starting the lean to early, going deeper into the curve turning sharper is actually safer,

that was news to me, but it made sense after the sight lines were explained.)

I have read several, but am just finishing my first read of Ride Hard-Ride Safe by Paul Hahn. It changed the way I approach my every day riding immediately. It has motivated me to get involved - to the degree that I can - in the new safety study that is being jointly sponsored by Congress and AMA. I am even thinking of buying some in bulk, and giving them as gifts to every graduate of our local MSF ERC. Haven't gone there yet 'cause I don't want to seem too pushy about the stuff in this book. But it is very compelling stuff. Combining Sport Riding Techniques and Ride Hard-Ride Safe would really make a difference for every FJR pilot.

...and of course there are the two great books by Peter Egan, Leanings and Leanings 2, if you want to read more of his great articles from Cycle World magazine

...and of course there are the two great books by Peter Egan, Leanings and Leanings 2, if you want to read more of his great articles from Cycle World magazine
Thank you ieduffield.

I have added the books you suggest to the main post.

I have also added colors to the main post to identify technique oriented books from non-technique oriented books. If, anyone has non-technique oriented books they would like to review and add please post them.

Is "The Long Way Around" to obvious to be on the list. I know it was a TV series, but I read the book first, and was glad I did.

What about the two books by Ron Ayers. "Against the Clock" and "Going the Extra Mile."

Is "The Long Way Around" to obvious to be on the list. I know it was a TV series, but I read the book first, and was glad I did.
What about the two books by Ron Ayers. "Against the Clock" and "Going the Extra Mile."
I will get them added. Do you mind giving a one or two sentence review of the ones you read?

In my library, I have all of the above, plus:

Honda's "Motorcycle Common Service Manual" (no author given) - This is a several-hundred-page factory service manual that covers everything that a normal model-specific factory service manual doesn't. It's got tips, tricks, and "how it works" info that's invaluable to figuring out a sense of how things should be done. It's expensive as hell ($60 or so?) but worth every nickel.

"Carroll Smith's Nuts, Bolts, Fasteners and Plumbing Handbook" - While this is for race cars and not motorcycles, it's a book that puts across the philosophy of how to do things RIGHT on a vehicle that goes fast, so that metal doesn't get bent and people don't get killed, so it definitely fits in here.

"Sportbike Performance Handbook" by Kevin Cameron - One of the smartest writers in motorcycle technology talks about stuff you can do (and shouldn't do) to your sportbike. A "must have" book.

"Top Dead Center" by Kevin Cameron - I guess this can best be described as sort of an autobiography of the weird things that Kevin's seen happen during his many years of motorcycle racing. It talks about changes & fashions in technology and his musings on why they did or didn't work. You'll learn a lot from this book, or at least have a lot to think about.

"The Perfect Vehicle: What It Is About Motorcycles" by Melissa Holbrook Pierson - I've ridden a bike as my daily transportation, by myself, without a car, for the past 15 or so years. This is the book that comes closest to describing what that's like without any "Zen and the art of..." BS. If "Leanings" is on the list, this should be too.

"Britten Motorcycles: The John Britten Story" by Felicity Price - This is a book about John Britten that doesn't put him on a podium and worship him, it just describes some of the amazing stuff he did, and what the man was actually like. It's got amazing pictures, including the house that John built.

"Motorcycle Design and Technology Handbook" by Gaetano Cocco - This is a book that goes deep into the science and theory behind motorcycle stability and chassis design. Don't get it if you're scared of science and math.

"Motorcycle Fundamentals, Service, Repair" by Bruce A. Johns & David D. Edmundson - This is really dated, and it's more of a textbook than a book you'd sit down and read, but the clear and simple explanations and diagrams been invaluable over the years when I'm talking to non-motorcycle people, or when I'm having a technical argument with someone, and I need an authority I can go to.

"The Art Of The Motorcycle" by the Guggenheim Museum - About 2 inches worth of beautifully photographed motorcycles, that isn't 90% Harleys like most motorcycle photo books. Just absolutely amazing.

"Techniques of Motor Cycle Road Racing" by Kenny Roberts - Do you think he knows what he's talking about? It's about the "joy" of racing Yamahas for 20 years, including at the 500GP level. Probably out of print, and no, you CAN'T borrow my copy.

I have a couple dozen more books, but they're mainly picture books, or in other languages, like a BMW book in German, so they're probably not interesting here. Plus this is from memory, I've probably forgotten some.

Jupiter's Travels by Ted Simon. (Non-Technique)

True account of a journey that took four years, covered 78,000 miles through 45 countries, and done on a Triumph Tiger 100. (One of only two books I have ever read more than once)

Riding High by Ted Simon. (Non-Technique)

Untold episodes that were left out of "Jupiter's Travels". (The other book I have read more than once!).

Stay away from Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance! Did not like one bit - even though its a classic.

ZW

The Perfect Vehicle, what it is......by Melissa Holbrok Peterson - one of the best general reads, really nailed for me 'What it is about motocycling." Loved it!

A great list!

I would add a non-technical book:

Riding with Rilke, by Ted Bishop. Ted is an English Professor, James Joyce scholar, and motorcycle enthusiast. He compares his passion for literature with his passion for riding. I found it a thoroughly enjoyable read.

Zero to Sixty by Gary Paulsen

This is similar to Ghostrider, but shorter and a little easier to read. Gary Paulsen is a survivalist who has participated in several Iditarods and has written a handful of books on his experiences that made writing his survival/adventure fiction books possible. GUTS is one example (light reading, but good).

Sharon (the librarian)

This is a most stellar thread!! Perhaps it will end up in the Bin of Facts after some more input.
Based on recommendations of others, I bought Total Control and Sport Riding Techniques.

Total Control is stellar, with a slant toward where you head needs to be.

It should be required for everyone applying for a MC license.

Sport Riding Techniques seemed a little more advanced and I felt like it was written to me.

(Especially regarding not starting the lean to early, going deeper into the curve turning sharper is actually safer,

that was news to me, but it made sense after the sight lines were explained.)
Those are the two books I just bought. I ordered the Sport Riding Techniques as you suggested and Total Control. I got two books because that got me over $25 on Amazon and I got the free shipping. The books aren't here yet but they have shipped.

+10 on this post. It is exactly what I was looking for.

John T, if you have any extra time, please look into all the riding classes you can take to help master motorcycle skills. That is on my agenda also.

You guys and gals continue to amaze me.

Art

I added the most recent reviews and books. Thank you for the reviews and books!

Keep the books and reviews coming.

John T, if you have any extra time, please look into all the riding classes you can take to help master motorcycle skills. That is on my agenda also.
Art
I have been considering creating a post such as this for DVDs and classes for some time. If, others post to let me know they are interested I will start them in the next couple weeks.