Boot Recommendation

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So many great ideas and advice.

A few of you were spot on about recommendations. A few even made great jokes about only being able to buy one boot for $125.

Last time I rode the Dragon, I didn't drag a boot. In fact I looked at some of the pictures from killboy, dragon, and 129photos that I screen shot off the last time. It was frankly embarrassing to see how awful I was riding. While I am not good yet, I am way better than before.

Just Krusen, u are right on the money with a riding problem I still have. I used to like to "feel" the ground with my feet around corners. Since learning to trust the bike more, I have seen where most don't use their feet that way. My biggest problem now is knee flexibility. Too many injuries and surgeries have resulted in me leaving my arches on the pegs like u said. I was told my right knee would need to be replaced by 40. I am holding out for now Through out the weekend, I tried to bring my toes onto the pegs. Immediately I started grinding pegs because my feet were not in the way now. Riding behind Tom and the Doc taught me quite a bit.

My wolverines make me flex more because they are taller with a heel and thick sole. My work boots have wide toe boxes also. Riding boots that I saw this weekend were short, thin, and narrow.

I have no qualms about copying what works well for others as a start for me. Thanks for all the suggestions. That's what is so great about this board.

Cav

Last edited by a moderator:
cheaper than $80? You paid more than that for the Wolverines your wearing now didn't you. Why get cheap now for foot protection. Especially while riding the Dragon. There's a bigger risk of tearing up a shin or an ankle on your bike. Just sayin.

Once you decide what boot you want, start looking on e-bay. I have purchased and sold several pair of SIDI boots over the last couple of years - all for less than half of retail. I personally prefer leather boots with goretex liners. They are a bit warmer than a regular boot, but much more durable and versatile.

Good luck with your search!

Oxtar, Vendramini, BMW, and Sidi are all very high quality boots. If you get "Gore-Tex," you can be reasonably sure that your feet will stay dry. (I did 8 hours in a downpour in a pair of BMW boots...my feet were the only part of me that were dry. My experience has been that name brands last long enough to more than make up for the front end cost difference. Motorcyclegear.com has a "customers' closet" section where used gear (commonly lightly used) can be found. The Flea Market over on advrider always has boots coming up.

HTH.

Funny, I wear my waterproof Wolverine boots the most. When I have to do long distances in the rain I wear my Sidi Adventure Rain (way above your desired price range), but they squeak when I walk and it drives me crazy.
One piece of gear I don't have a problem spending money on is good foot protection, if something where to happen to one of my ankles I possibly could be out of a job. SIDI Adventure Rain is what I wear all year and to take care of the squeaking I sprayed the boots completely down with a ZEP product called Protect All which is similar to Amour All.

Was a Tourmaster Solution 2.0 and Tourmaster Air WP fan until I crashed and broke/chipped and cracked my ankle in 5 places. I will no longer wear cheap boots. My next boot after much study will be the Dainese TRQ Tour Gore-Tex boots because of the excellent heel and ankle protection. After 2 months in a cast and many more months to rehabilitate the ankle my suggestion is buy better boots.

I have two pairs of Tourmaster size 9 boots for sale. One pair slightly scuffed.........

My 2 cents....you get what you pay for.

Sorry I didn't see this last night. I wear the Cortech Latigo WP. I have a wide foot (EE), but these gave me a good fit, I can walk in them, great protection and waterproof!

cheaper than $80? You paid more than that for the Wolverines your wearing now didn't you. Why get cheap now for foot protection. Especially while riding the Dragon. There's a bigger risk of tearing up a shin or an ankle on your bike. Just sayin.
Absolutely right about needing good protection. I think my Wolverines were right at that price.

Got some great information here and will definitely be using it in the decision.

Thanks all