brake reservoir cover problem

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TXFJR

Reaction score
I did something really dumb. I was mounting a RAM brake reservoir mounted base, and I think I stripped the lower part of the thread in the reservoir. I ditched the RAM mount idea, and replaced the cover, both screws tightened down snugly, but I keep getting VERY LIGHT seeping from the edge of the cover as it meets the reservoir. Could it be that there is still some residual fluid trapped between the rubber gasket thingy and the cover/reservoir?

I don't dare tighten the screw more, they are as snug or more snug that when I took them off.

Worse case scenario, what am I looking at? Replacing the entire reservoir? Does anyone know how much Yamaha gets for the part and labor if that had to be done?

Take the cover off again and wipe it dry with a paper towel. Remove the rubber gasket and make sure it isn't damaged. Same with the plastic piece. Wipe it dry as well before re-installing. These parts can all be rinsed with water but make SURE they are fully dried before putting them back. Avoid lint/dirt etc. Key is to be sure there isn't any fluid above the gasket. Don't overtighten when putting it back together.

Assuming that the screw (or screw hole) isn't stripped, you shouldn't need to do anything else. You might try inserting the screw with the cover off to make sure it goes all the way in. I think worst case scenario is that you might have to replace the screw and run a tap down the hole to fix up the threads. Possible (but unlikely) that the gasket is buggered.

I would take it apart and clean everything. Make sure there is no foreign material on the sealing surface. If the resevoir had to be replaced it wouldn't be that big a deal. The questionable threads could be chased with a tap or possibly tapped out to a slightly larger screw before having to do a costly replacement. Besides. what do you have to lose if it is already screwed up? (Pardon the pun!)

When I get home I will do the cleaning, I wiped it down, but honestly I could have done a better job. I had just installed the MV Riser, and it was late and cold, I SHOULD have just waited to start the mount....but NOOOO, I HAD to do it last night! LOL!

Some of the fluid ran out when I removed the mount and the cover came with it, but I didn't add any fluid (still looked good on the sight window). I think I was more mad at myself and worried about making sure none of the fluid got on the paint, and didn't do the proper clean up of the cover and/or gasket.

I was using a longer screw that came with the mount, and it seems like I only stripped threads way at the bottom of the hole (I could tell by the aluminum on the threads of the screw). But, apparently left enough for the stock screw to grab hold of, so if the cover is tight (which appears to be), then it's just like you guys suggest, residual fluid that I didn't clean up properly.

IF I had to tap the hole for a bigger screw, would I also have to enlarge the hole in the cover? I know it has a taper to let the screw head sit flush, but I would imagine I would have to enlarge it...or am I overthinking this?

If it's able to go in snug, I wouldn't risk trying to retap the existing thread. Try it first with the original screw, and put a little anti-seize on the threads first, then snug up. Clean up first of course. Isopropanol will clean up brake fluid and moisture.

I worked on a few that seeped a bit. After wiping them for several days it stopped and was never a problem. Might just be residual fluid.

Donal, that IS funny! ..... and a lot of truth to that flow chart! LOL!

Each day that goes by, I am convinced it is residual. I didn't clean it yesterday, partially because I wanted to see what it did on it's own, was afraid to mess with it again (after the first fiasco!), and I got focused on installing the FZ-1 fuzeblock. If I rub (hard) along the seam, I get a miniscule amount of fluid, and since a bit flowed out when I had my RAM mount "issue" it's VERY possible that it was trapped between the cover and gasket.

If it doesn't stop by tomorrow, I will take the cover off and clean it completely

Donal, that IS funny! ..... and a lot of truth to that flow chart! LOL!
Each day that goes by, I am convinced it is residual. I didn't clean it yesterday, partially because I wanted to see what it did on it's own, was afraid to mess with it again (after the first fiasco!), and I got focused on installing the FZ-1 fuzeblock. If I rub (hard) along the seam, I get a miniscule amount of fluid, and since a bit flowed out when I had my RAM mount "issue" it's VERY possible that it was trapped between the cover and gasket.

If it doesn't stop by tomorrow, I will take the cover off and clean it completely
Glad you liked it, it was meant to bring a smile to your face..................

As others have said, don't worry about it, there is no pressure to contain just splashing. If you can get any pressure on the holding screw that should be good as the seal is provided by a soft rubber gasket.

I think the biggest problem is that I feel SO stupid! I'm restoring a Camaro from the bare body shell-up, taught myself to weld, paint, body work, etc. Yet I screw up (no pun intended) installing a screw on a RAM mount! LOL!

I'm not sure how you could strip threads at the bottom of the hole and not affect the threads all the way up. Maybe the hole is only tapped to the depth required for the stock screw so it appears that you stripped it when you used the longer screw.

not sure, as I'm sure you guys know, the RAM mounts come with three sizes of bolts. The shortest didn't work due to the extra thickness, I believe it was the middle or longest bolt that did this. I tightened it and it "bottomed" out but had not snugged up the mount, so I gave it that infamous "last turn", and it gave. When I took out the bolt, I could see aluminum at the last few threads of the bolt. But when I put the stock bolt back in, it tightened just fine...

not sure, as I'm sure you guys know, the RAM mounts come with three sizes of bolts. The shortest didn't work due to the extra thickness, I believe it was the middle or longest bolt that did this. I tightened it and it "bottomed" out but had not snugged up the mount, so I gave it that infamous "last turn", and it gave. When I took out the bolt, I could see aluminum at the last few threads of the bolt. But when I put the stock bolt back in, it tightened just fine...
'Bottoming out' is usually guaranteed to strip threads. If a bolt is free then any additional (i.e. infamous "last turn") torque will be taken up in stretch and you can feel it is tightening. If on the other hand, it bottoms out, then something has to give as there is nothing to stretch....................

You most likely ran out of threads but not out of hole.

In other words the screw was trying to act as a tap without the relief up the length of it.

The material on the screw was probably from the new threads you were cutting at the bottom.

But - I could be wrong . . .

Latest posts