Break in oil

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's whatever you want it to be. If you want unicorns.....it's a unicorn. If you want leprechauns?....it's a leprechaun.

It's whatever you want it to be. If you want unicorns.....it's a unicorn. If you want leprechauns?....it's a leprechaun.
I only use Inuit harvested seal oil in my FJR's! jes' sayin' and nuff' said!

Eskimo_Seal_Hunting.jpg

As much as I hate to admit it, I have to agree with this Texas Eskimo. Ick. That felt yucky.

the bikes come with full synthetic from the dealership.

one would assume they find this to be the correct choice for the bike

FWIW, and for no other reason than it made me feel better and my personal experience (and experience of other builders of both bikes and automobiles, i dumped the original syn one i brought her home

ran through the break-in process with high quality dyno.

first change was at 25 miles

second at 100

third at 250

and final at 500

then another at 2500

another at 5k

my 10k mile changes was to full Amsoil synthetic

nothing scientific here.

i've routinely gotten 300k plus out of all my vehicles

intend to do the same with the FJR.

the bikes come with full synthetic from the dealership.one would assume they find this to be the correct choice for the bike

FWIW, and for no other reason than it made me feel better and my personal experience (and experience of other builders of both bikes and automobiles, i dumped the original syn one i brought her home

ran through the break-in process with high quality dyno.

first change was at 25 miles

second at 100

third at 250

and final at 500

then another at 2500

another at 5k

my 10k mile changes was to full Amsoil synthetic

nothing scientific here.

i've routinely gotten 300k plus out of all my vehicles

intend to do the same with the FJR.

<Start Arnold voice> You are one anal-retentive motherfucker! <End Arnold voice>

The FJR being delivered from the dealership with synthetic oil is news to me! Where did you get that little nugget of information from?

The FJR has Yamaha's semi-synthetic when it leaves the dealer floor. It also has a maintenance interval that seems to work just fine. I don't get why people feel the need to go overboard with their own crazy theories about how this stuff should be done.

'zilla, it's the same theory that works if you apply it in reverse, i.e., "I go 20,000 miles before I change my oil. Never had a problem, so 20,000 mile intervals is THE way to go!"

My 18 year old Honda Del Sol hasn't had an oil change in about 60,000 miles and it's currently at 120K miles. I just "top it up" on a regular basis to replace what's leaked out of the cam cover gasket and and distributor shaft seals.

The motor is messy, but it runs like a top, so change your oil 6 times every 5,000 miles like in the post two above yours, or don't change it at all and just keep the crankcase full. :p :p :p

It works for him, so it MUST be right....but it works for me so I MUST be right!

The FJR has Yamaha's semi-synthetic when it leaves the dealer floor. It also has a maintenance interval that seems to work just fine. I don't get why people feel the need to go overboard with their own crazy theories about how this stuff should be done.
And for years it had conventional oil filled at the factory until they changed what their 'official' oil is.

"HotRodZilla"

And for years it had conventional oil filled at the factory until they changed what their 'official' oil is.
Yeah...after saying "Yamaha semi-synthetic" I was gonna say, "Whatever that is." BUT I saw something shiny and got sidetracked. Sorry.

Dyno, semi-synthetic, full synthetic; for our application, it's all the same. Wasting money on all this high speed super oil is, well, wasting money. However, it's your money, so waste it any way you want.

Oh...And Howie; Change the oil in your fucking Honda for Christs sake.