Bridgestone T30 EVO GT front tire

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you hit stones large enough to notice at a good rate of speed, it is possible that you broke a belt in the tire. Especially if they "squirted" out the side. If so, it could explain the wobble. Have a good look for irregularities (bulges, bumps or misaligned tread) in the tire.

Last edited by a moderator:
As with anything MC related, what's good for me may be terrible for you. Try something else. The Pirelli Angels have a nice front also.
I don't hate the EVOs, just don't love them. I like the way they wear (and especially the price) compared to anything Michelin although I haven't tried the PR4.I did have one set of the Pirelli Angel GT. I really liked them at first - very smooth and confidence-inspiring. I had a serious issue with steering wobble due to the front tire after maybe 4,000 miles or so. Some visible cupping but handling went in the shitter. It is the ONLY time I have had a serious steering wobble on this bike. Maybe just a bad tire but once I have had a bad experience with any tire, I won't go back - too many good choices out there!

People have been saying some good things about the Dunlop RoadSmart 3. I had issues with the RS2 but I may give their new offering a try next time...
I just put on 3s and took a 1600 mile ride, run very smooth and great lean angle stickyness for me, quite comfortable. Cost me $360 for the tires(with tax) and allegedly there is a 60dollar rebate coming back also. Have no idea about mileage as of yet.

I just got back from a 3,000 mile ride through the Sierras on a set of EVO GTs I mounted before I left. I really liked the handling. They are pretty stiff and <seemed> harsher on rough roads. On about day 5 of 9 I started to notice head shake at 45 mph. By the end of the trip today it was getting pretty extreme. I'm not sure if it's the tires or something going on with the bike. I did hit a couple of walnut sized rocks which squirted out from under the tires. I'm wondering if I tweaked the alignment of the front end?? I'll try loosening and re-tightening the axle and pinch bolts and see if that helps.
They are a great value if not for the head shake!
I've experienced the same exact thing. The front was a major PITA to balance when we shoehorned it on. I'm thinking that maybe I got one that was out of round, and maybe that's why my mileage was crap. But who knows. I've also considered that it may just be my riding area that destroys tires.

Just ordered a set of the Dunlop Roadsmart 3s to replace my Michelin Pilot Road 4GTs--which have been great. The rear is just now hitting the wear bars at 8,800 miles...which is 1800 miles more than I used to get out of Pirelli Angel GTs and other tires. So we'll see.

HotRodZilla posted: I'm on my second set, which, I know, isn't a lot, but they have been super smooth and no issues. No funny wear, and nothing I haven't fully expected.
I have to agree with 'Zilla: something is definitely amiss with your tire. Weights may still be in place, but is it worth checking the balance again ... ?

My T-30s went to San Diego on a 50CC -- no twisties, but a serious chunk of high speed miles. The trip back was through backroads tagging towns named Atlanta; rock-solid and grippy. Then another 10,000 miles or so split between commuting into my downtown Atlanta and doing day rides into the mountains north of town; smooth as warm butter.

Rode them until the cords started showing.

I've run 1 set T30 GTs, 4 sets "regular" T30s, 'n am on my 4th set of T30 EVOs, never had a problem mounting, balancing, or front end wobblez. Got 8300 mi outta a set last year 'n that's a record for me. (Never got 8K outta MC tire before.) I run 44-46 R and 41-42 front.

Avons were mah fave before, butt after get'in a couple of wobbly fronts, (Storm IIs) I gave up on 'em. Dun had a wobbly Dunlop back in the late eighties, 'n when I tried to return it, Dunlop told me to go pound sand. Ain't used one since, 'n never will use a Dunlop.

Turns out there's nothing wrong with my T30 EVO or the balance. I removed the front wheel and spun it on my NoMar balancer and found I have a bent rim. I remember hitting a rock in a left hander riding up toward Happy Camp last week. Didn't see it in the shadows. I guess that must have been when it happened. :(

https://koczarski.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/BentRimFJR.mp4

SHIT! Ouch. That must have been a hit. Glad you figured it out. Now to send it off for a straightening!
It didn't seem that bad at the time. Felt like I squirted the rock off the road rather that a direct hit. Obviously it was more than I thought at the time. Bummer....

Taking the wheel off tonight and delivering to a local wheel fixer in the morning. $200

Turns out there's nothing wrong with my T30 EVO or the balance. I removed the front wheel and spun it on my NoMar balancer and found I have a bent rim. I remember hitting a rock in a left hander riding up toward Happy Camp last week. Didn't see it in the shadows. I guess that must have been when it happened.
sad.png

Bummer dude; welcome to Kalifornia where we pay the highest taxes fer the most poorly maintained roads!
wink.png

Turns out there's nothing wrong with my T30 EVO or the balance. I removed the front wheel and spun it on my NoMar balancer and found I have a bent rim. I remember hitting a rock in a left hander riding up toward Happy Camp last week. Didn't see it in the shadows. I guess that must have been when it happened.
sad.png

Bummer dude; welcome to Kalifornia where we pay the highest taxes fer the most poorly maintained roads!
wink.png
In WA State we have corner marshals in each turn sweeping the rocks from the road/track.
rolleyes.gif

Got my new wheel today and reinstalled the T30 EVO. Didn't have a chance to test ride the bike at speed though.

I negotiated a deal with my insurance company to get a new wheel. At first I was going to try and take the wheel to a local guy who straightens wheels. He charges $200.

Next I checked with my insurance company and learned it would cost me $250 deductible to get a new wheel. They wanted to claim it as a "collision". I figured it would cost about $800 to have my local shop do all of the work, so $250 from me and $550 from the insurance company. I offered to do all of the work if they would just buy me a wheel, bearings, seals, pay to have the bearings installed and claim it as "comprehensive". That only ran $500. They agreed!

So I paid my $250 deductible and they covered the rest, $250. Since it's a comprehensive claim it won't increase my rates. Win - win!!
punk.gif

Well shit! Still have the head shake?! So I either damaged the tire too, or there's some other damage I'm not seeing. I visually checked the tire inside and out when I had it off and didn't see or feel any damage.

I guess I'll order another and try that next. Didn't feel and slop in the head. Anyone else have any idea of what else to check? Bent forks??

Well shit! Still have the head shake?! So I either damaged the tire too, or there's some other damage I'm not seeing. I visually checked the tire inside and out when I had it off and didn't see or feel any damage.
I guess I'll order another and try that next. Didn't feel and slop in the head. Anyone else have any idea of what else to check? Bent forks??
I put a set of the 023 back on as I had bought them at a steal of a price. My headshake has gone. I'm not sure I'll go back to Stones after this debacle. Don't get me wrong, they stuck like glue when hot and I loved them, but that headshake that developed really soured me. Especially for the mileage I got from them.

I got a little headshake yesterday; after I caught sum air!
punk.gif

Put a new front tire on there. Any hit that was large enough to bend a rim is big enough to damage a tire carcass.
Good point. I ordered a replacement tire last night. I have a partially used PR4 front in my tire rack. I'll try and find time to mount that this weekend while I'm waiting for the new replacement.

If you ordered from Jake Wilson (aka Rocky Mountain ATV) you may have the new one on your doorstep before you get around to installing the old one.
:) Ya, the shipping confirmation just came through a moment ago. Label printed, but no estimated delivery date yet. The last set I ordered was on my doorstep in Seattle about 3 days later. Doubt I'll see it this weekend.

I have a NoMar changer so if I get motivated I'll put the PR4 on just to confirm it's a damaged tire or <something> else.....

Latest posts