Broad Footpegs for 04 FJR Suggestions?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
chicken-little-sky-falling.jpg
Dammit, Mike....YOU'RE the one who started this mess!!! :p

I'm with Howie on this one.
I pull up the forum while eating my lunch, and I learn the sky is falling...
It seems to me nightshift has a legit medical condition that warrants a little help and less derision.
Unless I'm reading it wrong, nightshift first implied that the peg was causing the issue, not aggravating a pre-existing condition. And while originally that may have been the case, from the original post, it was hard to accept that the peg is causing the issue.

The peg is 3.5 inches long, 1 inch wide. So, if my math is right, that's 3.5 square inches. Nightshift states his weight at 175 pounds. That's 87.5 pounds per peg...divided by 3.5 square inches, that's only 25psi at the total contact point if he's standing UP! That ain't much, hence my skepticism.

However, when he came back and explained he suffered from Plantar Fasciitis, the equation changes. My wife suffers from Plantar Fasciitis and the minuscule weight of a bed sheet across her feet is painful, so I can understand his discomfort.

Plus, I read FIVE replies with help and suggestions, and the reply you quoted was Patriot's reaction to Ignacio agreeing with me saying I'd never seen this as an issue mentioned before, although Iggy DID find a 4 year old post from the OP addressing the same issue. You have NO idea how Iggy's credibility has suffered as an Admin, as a forum member, even as a human being, by agreeing with me on anything! THAT is what your quoted reply is referring to, NOT to nightshift's foot pain problem.

So, where's the derision? Methinks you are overreacting.

edited to add: I see Iggy beat me to it. Just proof he can say in one sentence what it takes me five paragraphs to get out. :p
"That ain't much, hence my skepticism."

I know, I just know I should let this drop. Whereas you were inclined initially to be rather dismissive of the OP's stated problem, my mind immediately assumed he was stating a truth for him, which led me to conclude he had a possible medical problem maybe he did not know about, i.e. diabetes. Lots of folks out there with undiagnosed diabetes. Since my wife also has that disease, I am tuned into foot problems that can be very serious if not attended to, even fatal. That was where I was coming from.

Dammit, Mike....YOU'RE the one who started this mess!!! :p
Yea I know... I didn't want this to happen but there ya go. Now the footpeg issue is a health care issue, and that means it's something that circles back to the Whitehouse, so that means it's Obama's fault, so Obama should come up with a plan to develop a footpeg for the FJR that won't precipitate a health issue like gout or plantar fascitis. So now it's a political issue. Damn it! :ph34r:

Yea I know... I didn't want this to happen but there ya go. Now the footpeg issue is a health care issue, and that means it's something that circles back to the Whitehouse, so that means it's Obama's fault, so Obama should come up with a plan to develop a footpeg for the FJR that won't precipitate a health issue like gout or plantar fascitis. So now it's a political issue. Damn it! :ph34r:
I ain't goin' down the road you just opened <_<

Political talk (or insinuation) is frowned upon in these parts. Even in a joking manner.

.....but looks like Post #7 might be a solution you're looking for.

You also might want to check out Kuryakyn for some footboard ideas.

BTW, I was referring to Patriot (Mike) for "start(ing) this mess" not you! So, are you a "Mike" too???

Political talk (or insinuation) is frowned upon in these parts. Even in a joking manner.

.You also might want to check out Kuryakyn for some footboard ideas.

BTW, I was referring to Patriot (Mike) for "start(ing) this mess" not you! So, are you a "Mike" too???
Yea Mick is a nickname for Michael. I will check the Kurakyn site and see if I can find a solution.

.You also might want to check out Kuryakyn for some footboard ideas.

Yea Mick is a nickname for Michael. I will check the Kurakyn site and see if I can find a solution.

I have googles many sites looking for footpegs and incredibly none of the footpeg types will work on an FJR, even if adapters are used. How could this be I'm wondering? So I looked at how the pegs are mounted to the bike and I notice that the frame side cast hinge is angled 20 degrees from the horizontal! So any kind of footpeg mounted on there (besides OEM) will sit slanted 20 degrees which simply would not work out. Steel shank boot may be the only alternative, but I know steel shank boots aren't the most comfortable to walk around in. I'm going to keep looking to see if I can find a footpeg system that will do the trick.

How about purchasing one of those smallish metric foot boards, removing the rubber from the stock pegs, drilling and tapping some bolt/screw holes to the stocker pegs and attaching a foot board to it?

I have googles many sites looking for footpegs and incredibly none of the footpeg types will work on an FJR, even if adapters are used. How could this be I'm wondering? So I looked at how the pegs are mounted to the bike and I notice that the frame side cast hinge is angled 20 degrees from the horizontal! So any kind of footpeg mounted on there (besides OEM) will sit slanted 20 degrees which simply would not work out. Steel shank boot may be the only alternative, but I know steel shank boots aren't the most comfortable to walk around in. I'm going to keep looking to see if I can find a footpeg system that will do the trick.
Most bike peg mounts are angled to allow for folding in a slide or bike tip over.

These are from the Kuryakyn site and are for Goldwings.

Part#7938

7938-1.jpg

And these are adjustable in terms of the angle of mounting.

Part#7945

7945-2.jpg

I guess the key is to find the correct width that fits in between the FJR mount tabs.

These look good to:

Part#7963

7963-3.jpg

Keep looking mate!

Hope this helps. Seems like you got your share of razzin' from the others. That's always fun on this board. :eh-smiley: <_<

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone have a suggestion where I can find some driver footpegs that will fit a 2004 FJR non-ABS model bike. Also if they have lowering adapters. I am 5'7" and weigh 175 lbs. The problem is the stock footpegs are too narrow and actually damages the bottom of my feet where high psi is created at points of contact. This is occurring even when wearing workboots bought in Texas. I want a footpeg that will increase the point of contact surface area so the psi distribution will be over a larger surface area and consequently resulting in less pressure on the sole of my foot. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Mick in Florida
For followup on this topic, I was not able to find driver footpegs that will fit the FJR. Major disappointment. Ideally I want to get an adapter that will allow the Kuryakun pn4471 footpeg to fit. I may call a machine shop and see how much they will charge to do this.

Mick

Most bike peg mounts are angled to allow for folding in a slide or bike tip over.

These are from the Kuryakyn site and are for Goldwings.

Part#7938

7938-1.jpg

And these are adjustable in terms of the angle of mounting.

Part#7945

7945-2.jpg

I guess the key is to find the correct width that fits in between the FJR mount tabs.

I acyually measured the frame side cast footpeg assembly on a gold wing and it is too wide to work with the FJR.

Mick

These look good to:

Part#7963

7963-3.jpg

Keep looking mate!

Hope this helps. Seems like you got your share of razzin' from the others. That's always fun on this board. :eh-smiley: <_<