Broke headlight adjuster cable threaded head

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EffinJR

Reaction score
So after installing my headlight modulator this weekend, I was reassembling the dash panels. I had a hard time getting the right-side cable adjuster threads back through the dash panel but eventually got it through and the nut on the other side finger tight. That allowed me to get the dash panel back into position without the cable adjuster popping out and getting lost behind the panel.

Worked great until I was tightening up the nut and ended up breaking the the plastic threads on the adjuster cable. I am guessing the flange on the bottom of the threads wasn't seated flat against the panel (only finger tight) and when I tightened it up it stressed the plastic threads and they snapped off in the nut.

So, my questions:

1. How much of a PITA is it to replace those plastic threads? Must i replace the entire adjustment cable?

2. Would epoxying the threads be suitable as a long term fix?

3. How do I reinstall the dash panels without doing this again?

I'm thinking the nipple on the white threaded part of the adjuster wasn't aligned with the slot for it in the panel. If you're not paying attention it's easy to do. Don't know if that can be replaced by itself. Good Luck.

BTDT, as mentioned above, this part is cheap and easy to swap in place.

It takes a 17mm wrench so people think (hope) it's reasonably strong to let you "pull" the adjuster into it's correct position, WRONG
weirdsmiley.gif
. You need to line up the locator pin with the slit in the panel correctly before you put the wrench on this plastic nut...

Last edited by a moderator:
On this topic, I'm finding the adjusters on my '13 almost impossible to - well - adjust. You really can't get you hand around the knob and it seems ridiculously stiff. Is this normal? I just got the bike so this may amount to a squawk but wondered what others have noticed.