Build Own Custom Seat with Corbin and Stock Pan

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

temp357

Reaction score
Ok,

So I'm not too happy about the new corbin seat height for the vertically challenged. At 6'2" I'm already a little tight in the knees of the FJR. Now normally I'd just ride up to NorCal and get a custom one made, but riding 1400 miles through 110 degree weather to have corbin charge me $800 is not my idea of fun.

So, here's the plan and let's hope i don't f* this one up.

1) bought R1100GS corbin seat from internet - Check

2) Find Good Upholstery Shop

3) Have them take the foam from the corbin seat and transplant onto yamaha stock seat pan and in the corbin shape (printed out lots and lots of pictures for them to look at)

4) the corbin seat i got for the R1100GS also came with a backrest for the rear seat. I'm thinking about trying to figure out a way to retrofit that onto the stock basepan.

What do you guys think? Anyone know a great re-upholstery shop in SoCal?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just do it yourself.

The Yamaha seat is just stapled onto the seat pan. Small flatblade screwdriver, pop the staples, peel back the covering and go nuts with an electric knife or good utility knife. Once complete, just stretch the covering back over the foam and restaple with a staple gun.

Last time I spoke with Corbin about one of their seats, (not for a BMW or Yamaha), they told me the foam was glued to the pan and not easy to deal with. In fact, they refused to repair a seat I had with a cracked pan. :glare: I wasn't looking for free work, just didn't want to buy a new seat.

This makes me wonder how easily you will be able to move the Corbin foam to a FJR pan. Good luck and share the results.

You might check out Russell instead if things don't work out. You can have a custom rider only seat for less than $400 if you don't want leather. Mine was $325, with the heavyweight option. You can mail these in too, though for your needs, the ride in might be better since you would not want the standard 'Day Long' seat. It typically raises you about an inch.

Ok, I don't get it.

Why don't you simply ride up to Bill Mayer Saddles in Ojai, CA? A truly custom saddle, done by a guy who know's what he is doing, and cheaper than $800.

Seems like a no-brainer to me.

Eric,What's the story behind the avatar?
I ran across it on Craigs List and thought it was worth keeping around. You know, for those clueless people you encounter now and then. Instead of just telling them they are idiots, you can hand them a Cluepon and let them figure it out on their own. :D For the forum, I figure I can just tell someone to refer to my Avatar and they should get the hint. :lol:

What it says if the print is too small for reading.

"This valuable Cluepon may be used to redeem yourself in the eyes of the presenter. "

Below in smaller print:

"You have been selected out of the standard Gene pool as basically clueless beyond belief. However, someone gives a shit. That is why you were chosen to receive this cluepon. To redeem yourself please remove your cranium from your anal sphincter as soon as possilbe. One cluepon per relationship. Not valid in altered states. Offer valid for a period of 24hrs afterwhich nobody gives a flying fuck."

Ok, I don't get it.
Why don't you simply ride up to Bill Mayer Saddles in Ojai, CA? A truly custom saddle, done by a guy who know's what he is doing, and cheaper than $800.

Seems like a no-brainer to me.
Well,

A few reasons actually.

The first one,

https://www.weather.com/weather/local/USCA0...rom=search_city

The Second,

Have you actually looked at the Bill Mayers Saddle? The custom Mayer seats i've seen pictures of (or Russel) don't look very nice and the price for a leather seat will still run in $649 for front and back.

The third,

Although many people complain about the corbin being hard, I've found that the foam provides the support I need just like they claim. I do have a beef with their new FJR seat in that it's too short and non-adjustable.

The fourth,

I'm a cheap bastard.

Used Corbin Seat - $185

Reupholstery - $200 to $300 for leather for both front and back

The fifth,

Wasting a whole day sitting around, while i could be ridding. A local upholstery shop would do this while I'd be at work.

F*'n things up? Priceless :unsure:

#1 - Waaaaahhhhhhhhh! I rode in 118 degrees two days ago. Leave early. It's not that bad, especially when considering the long-term comfort of a seat.

#2 - Looks? Are you after comfort or looks?

#3 - Nobody complains about the Bill Mayer saddle. In fact in some recent threads, all everybody can do is heap praise on them. Corbin is a big hit & miss. Perhaps you should broaden your horizons and try something new that you may like a lot better?

#4 - $485 vs. $650 for a truly custom seat. Hmmm....you must be an extremely cheap bastard. For the extra $165, I will take the custom seat anyday.

#5 - Waaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!! Are you after seat comfort or not? What are you willing to do to get it? Wasting a whole day? I doubt it. And besides, most would consider it an enjoyable experience to go through. Plus, YOU COULD ALWAYS MAIL THE SEAT IN.

Hey, do whatever floats your boat. But don't try to pull your lame Corbin groupie rationalizations on me. I know better.

:p

Damn SkooterG, lighten up. :blink: Or are you just still working on that 2k club? :yahoo:

#1 - Waaaaahhhhhhhhh! I rode in 118 degrees two days ago. Leave early. It's not that bad, especially when considering the long-term comfort of a seat.

#3 - Nobody complains about the Bill Mayer saddle. In fact in some recent threads, all everybody can do is heap praise on them. Corbin is a big hit & miss. Perhaps you should broaden your horizons and try something new that you may like a lot better?

#4 - $485 vs. $650 for a truly custom seat. Hmmm....you must be an extremely cheap bastard. For the extra $165, I will take the custom seat anyday.

#5 - Waaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!! Are you after seat comfort or not? What are you willing to do to get it? Wasting a whole day? I doubt it. And besides, most would consider it an enjoyable experience to go through. Plus, YOU COULD ALWAYS MAIL THE SEAT IN.

Hey, do whatever floats your boat. But don't try to pull your lame Corbin groupie rationalizations on me. I know better.

I have delicate skin :p and can't ride through the fire of hell like you folks from az. Who knows, after this you guys will all be calling me for the Gilani saddle from SoCal :rolleyes:

Besides:QUOTE

Not valid in altered states.

Ya , but in Odot's case,,, That would be when he's sober....
Kids, kids, kids....if'n when you see me in reno. I'll probably be drunk. Just hand me the card and walk away. Either that or give me money for cab fare back to my cheap motel(I'll get a room once I get there) ...which, I guarantee you...will be a smoking room. As for the term "altered state"....that's the name of a band. They are actually pretty good. Kind of a progressive rock thing...really moody. Very good musicians....probably schooled in music theory. And, if you are referring to "altered state" as in, drug use. No thanks. I get drug tested at work. My three vices are caffeine, nicotine and alcohol. I don't even take aspirin. Um...thanks for your time and next time....park next to a fricken tree! Dang kids. :p

Kids, kids, kids....if'n when you see me in reno. I'll probably be drunk. Just hand me the card and walk away. Either that or give me money for cab fare back to my cheap motel(I'll get a room once I get there) ...which, I guarantee you...will be a smoking room.<snip> My three vices are caffeine, nicotine and alcohol. Dang kids. :p
Cab fare? No way Jose, you can walk the 1.7 miles to the Motel 6 with the rest of the group! :rolleyes: Only down side is you'll be sober by the time you get there. :lol: I'd have been there myself except for a last minute stroke of luck. $35 Vs. $80 a night is an important distinction to some folks. :yes:

I have delicate skin :p and can't ride through the fire of hell like you folks from az. Who knows, after this you guys will all be calling me for the Gilani saddle from SoCal :rolleyes:

It's ok I've lived in AZ for a long time and still can't take the heat here.... Yes I'm a puss.... :blushing:

I see people riding here on the hottest days and it still suprises me.

I'm in the process of making a mold for the 2005FJR Seat. Should be an improvement over the stock foam because I will be able to custom make the batch of foam softer or harder. I would love to have a seat from someone who likes the shape, like a BMS or Corbin or Russel, but not the foam density. That way I can make a plug out of the seat with Bondo and make the mold out of it. This will destroy the seat foam but then I can make the same shape and remold the seatfoams to whatever density we want. :assassin: What do you think? Any volunteers.

I already have a stock seat to work with and am in the process of creating the shape.