Bump and fly

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

want2ride

Reaction score
THe day after changing out the oil in the forks I was heading to Franklin for a meetup group ride. About 10 miles from the location the wonderful TDOT has chewed out the pavement on I65 for repairs. It dropped 3 inches and the suspension soaked it up nicely. As I was enjoying the music cruising down the road at 70mph the road came back up the 3 inches I lost earlier. It was a bone jarring lift and then my music was gone????

I am thinking what the hell happened to my music? Then it dawned on me as I looked at the handlebars. My cell phone had popped out of the RAM Xmount. Crap! My Nexus 6 was gone. I hit the brakes and pulled over on the shoulder. A Harley rider was following me and he pulled over with me.

He asked what that was that flew off my bike. It was my cell phone, did you happen to see where it went? Lucky for me he did know where it was and ran back with me to find it. Well even with a shock proof case it did not survive the flight down the road. It was in one piece but no longer works.

So much for the Xmount option. If I use it again I think I shall wire the arms together to prevent it from opening up by accident again. Now I am trying to keep in contact with my separated wife to find out if she got the insurance on the phones. If not then I shall be phoneless for a while. Lesson learned the hard way......

To bad it wasn't smart enough to land safely. I've seen lots using phone mounts but they just don't look strong enough. This coming from someone that just went back to a flip phone cause I ain't smart enough either.
punk.gif

That's why I just listen to the music in my head. If that comes off, well then, my wife will finally get that insurance money
smile.png

Stop using phones for things they weren't designed to do. I have seen a couple of those X-mounts and there's no way in Hell I'd put my phone in one and expect it to not jump off the bike.

Sorry man. That sucks, but shouldn't have been unexpected.

Used a #84 rubber band from Staples around the X mount posts holding my G3 today on Skyline Dr. and the BRP. Hit some pretty jarring bumps, but the rubber band gave enough additional support that my phone didn't budge the whole way.