butt pad or seat

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pat C

Reaction score
I went to Americade last week it was just under a 200 mi ride and we stopped 3 times, all back roads great ride but my butt was on fire. I don't know how anyone can do 300 plus mi on the this bike with stock seat. I'm not sure if I want to spend the bucks for a after market seat or try one of those sheepskin buttpads, your comments and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I went to Americade last week it was just under a 200 mi ride and we stopped 3 times, all back roads great ride but my butt was on fire. I don't know how anyone can do 300 plus mi on the this bike with stock seat. I'm not sure if I want to spend the bucks for a after market seat or try one of those sheepskin buttpads, your comments and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Buy a Russell and your problems are over, the seat feels like you are seating on a couch. You will never go back. There is usually a group buy on the forum to help you save some money.

Prior to having a seat made for me by Rich's Custom seats in Seattle, I used a gel ped. No sheepskin. The gel ad was an improvement. However, if you are planning to ride all day I would recommend having a seat made for you. It was the best money I've ever spent on my bike.

Ray

Pat,

If you want to try the inexpensive route first, Go to Sports Authority and buy a set of bycicle shorts with a Gel Pad built into the seat area. It will work wonders.

Makes all the difference in the world. Best $42 you will ever spend. It will take some getting used to at first. Riding will be great. But, when new, and you're

off the bike and walking around. You will feel like a baby who has this BIG STEAMING LOAD in your diaper. Don't worry about that. In no time at all the gel will

compress to perfection and that sensation will go away. I wore them to SFO 09 in Eureka Springs, AR from West Palm Beach, FL. 2,500 wet miles round trip 9

hours a day for 7 days and my butt didn't hurt at all. :Snorkle:

Happy Trails

The "ButtBuster" gel pad($80) will add miles to your day but an aftermarket seat is perhaps the best long-term investment. I've had this ButtBuster for 10 years on a variety of Bikes. The Cruiser size fits the stock FJR seat near perfect. I actually got use to a Corbin after several months, but I wouldn't recommend it without trying one out yourself.

Last edited by a moderator:
I went to Americade last week it was just under a 200 mi ride and we stopped 3 times, all back roads great ride but my butt was on fire. I don't know how anyone can do 300 plus mi on the this bike with stock seat.
Everyone's butt is different (thank God!) but I had the same problem as you until a dealer who was looking at the bike said that my seat was positioned/installed wrong. It wasn't in the brackets properly.

Once they fixed it, I can go a lot longer - upwards of 300 miles with no discomfort.

It might be worth it to just check to make sure your seat is positioned correctly. Long shot but it might save you some bucks.

I got a sheepskin from alaskan leather last year for around $45 and it's a great inexpensive temporary fix. The most I've done on it on one day is 450 miles. I was still sore afterwards. I'm looking for a permanent solution now. And when I find it my sheepskin will be on sale for half the price. So if this summer's riding will be 400 miles or less daily then look at a temporary fix. Then when winter comes you will have more time looking for a permanent answer.

It's SO easy to spend half a day on this board reading and learning when you should be out riding. But if reading on this forum gets you out of house chores then in this case your priorities are in order.

I use a beaded pad. It works very well. It gets the air moving around your arse and keeps you off the hot seat.

beadrider.jpg

https://www.beadrider.com/

You could also try Anti Monkey Butt Powder:

https://www.antimonkeybutt.com/

Good Luck!

I did the spencer seat mod and bought a sheepskin pad from alaska leather. Using the both of them I've done over 900 miles in one day without and major problems. I would just stop for gas every 200 miles or so and spend 20 minutes or so hanging around the has station for a little break and then go on my way again. I thought about doing a bill or russel seat, but couldn't justify the money when what I have works fine.

The problem with most custom seats is that you have to give up your stock seats entirly as they use the pan to make your custom seat. Thats why I went with Corbin, they feel hard to the touch, but are comfy on long rides. I also put on a sheepskin seat cover, not sure how much it adds as I have always used it with these seats.

I had a set of the Yamaha comfort (gel) seats for a while, not too pricey, but I live in the desert and that gel sure heats up fast.

How many miles do you have on the stock seat?

As said, everyone is different - but I was able to put 400+ miles a day on my stock seat before I started to get uncomfortable.

I personally do not like gel seats or inserts. they tend to hold heat in the summer time and become stiff and cold in the winter time. Never tried the bicycle shorts with the gel in them, though. With that said, the type of undergarments worn will make a difference in comfort. I personally prefer Under Armour style shorts - no seems under my legs or ass and good moisture wicking. Stay away from seems and materials that hold moisture (cotton). If your riding clothes have seems that are under your butt when you ride, you will get uncomfortable quickly.

The first thing I would do on the cheap is too go to your local MegaMart and go into the auto section. Buy a "genuine" sheepskin wash mitt. Cut off the elastic cuff and split the mitt up the thumb side. You now have a sheepskin butt pad. Try it and see if it helps.

An Air Hawk seat pad is also something that I own. My daughter used it when we would make 200+ mile lunch runs and she likes it on the pillion.

Sending your seat to Spencer will probably be the least expensive mod you can make to the seat - save doing it yourself. I noticed a great improvement over my stock seat after I sent him my seat.

I would start by making changes to my riding gear before moving on to expensive seat mods.

this past christmas my gf gave me a pair of comfort max gel pads. see: https://jpblvd.com/blog/?p=459

she loves the product, i, only like it. i find that the pad adds about an inch to my seat height, which i don't really care for, and with it being gel, is not twisty friendly.

i was not too keen at first, but several 200+ mile trips, and these things do help butt burn.

if i had the cash i'd get a custom seat made. being the broke mofo i am these will do.

cadman

I rode with a Pro-Pad gel cover for a while. It helped a little, but bought a Russell custom, and can go all day, all week with very little discomfort.

Pat C,

We have the Yammy comfort seat and the Alaskan sheepskin covers. Allthough it's much better I am sure its not as good as a russell. We did the Cats & Daks ride last week over 400 miles both days without any problems. Asking what the best seat is like asking what you best flavor ice cream is. Lot's of reasons for different seats and riding styles. JMO.

Good luck

I have a Sargent seat which is complete (no sending them a pan) and like it fine. Wider than stock, but I also run an Airhawk Air pad on top. Works well for me. Seat is $660 to $680.

Personally, I'd go with a Russel during a group buy if I was you at this point. It's the perfect seat.

let's ride safe and be careful out there,

Mike in Nawlins'

Latest posts