C64

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That brings back memories ... had one of those when I was 11 years old. From that grew the seeds to get a CS degree and make a career out of software development.

Marble Madness, Compute! magazine, loading Ghost'n'Goblins from cassettes, and destroying joysticks (from use and abuse), shorting the cartridge wires to perform a reset, 'poking' memory and restarting with unlimited lives ...

If I'm reading this correctly, this is more of a bare bones system that you can install linux, win7, xmbc or whatever on ... It doesn't seem to actually run the C64 OS .. but I'm sure there are Linux emulators out there.

M.U.L.E. !!!!!

Beachhead !!!!!

Compute! magazine, typing line after line after line of numbers representing a machine-code program, then spending hours to find the 2 or 3 typos, then running it and going, "Yeah??? So???"

Beachhead is the first time I ever heard digitized voice in a game on a home computer, rather than just sound effects. It was beyond amazing to hear the computer talk to you! I'd heard speech synthesis before, but this was digital recordings of real voice!

I didn't know Commodore was even still alive. Hadn't heard from them since the Amiga.

As for this PC, clever, but I think I can get a lot nicer device for the money. It won't have the C64 ROM, but I still have a working C64 and floppy drive!

Last edited by a moderator:
My first computer class in college had us using punch cards for the IBM System/3 making the C64 look like light speed in the Millennium Falcon! IBM Sys 3

In '85 I had a LOT of spare time due to the loss of use of both my arms. I used a paraplegic's mouth stick to type code into a Commodore 128 with a 8502 processor and 128 kB of RAM -- woohoo! One of the first things I did was to write a program that acted like a word processor in the way it handled letters, line length, line spacing, line returns, the processing of upper ASCII codes and a print driver because there really wasn't anything available. After that I wrote games for my nephews which had both graphic control and sound since there were almost no games beyond things like pong. PEEK POP POKE PUSH MOV y'all.