Calling All Fjr Gurus, Fjr Won't Start

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrVvrroomm

Reaction score
I need some serious help guys/gals.

My '04 FJR with 19K miles won't fire. I'll recap a little: made a 4700+ mile round trip from Minneapolis to Tucson last month. I got home, washed the bike, drove it the next day for about 2 hours, then she's been sitting in the garage for the last 3 weeks.

It's not the battery, it cranks plenty hard. I even had my battery tender on it while sitting idle for the past 3 weeks. There's plenty of fuel in it, 5 of 8 bars.

My wife and I are leaving (hopefully) this coming Friday morning for a big trip west for 10 days. I haven't got a clue as to what it could be. I'm going to go start taking off plastic so I can get to the plugs.

I can hear the fuel pump running each time I turn the key or let off the starter.

Someone out there has to have had the same problem. I have had zero problems with this bike thus far.

Any/all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks much.

Bruce

No fault codes displayed on meter. All lights works as per design. I have a shop manual in front of me, but I have no idea where to start.

Fuel pump runs, motor cranks, won't fire.

Thanks,

Bruce

I'm going to go start taking off plastic so I can get to the plugs.
Just raise the tank and remove the brace. No need to pull plastic except for the two panels on the bottom of the tank.

Plugs would be my first choice as a suspect. But check those plug wires, too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some have recently reported the same problem and it sounded like letting the FJR sit can cause the fuel to drain out of the rail in the FI system. Try turning the key on till the pump shuts off then turning of, do this 5-6 times and try it then. If no good try twisting the throttle all the way and starting it like that. Those seemed to help the others.

Some have recently reported the same problem and it sounded like letting the FJR sit can cause the fuel to drain out of the rail in the FI system. Try turning the key on till the pump shuts off then turning of, do this 5-6 times and try it then. If no good try twisting the throttle all the way and starting it like that. Those seemed to help the others.
I did the 5-6 times key on/off. It did cough once, but was a long way from starting. I tried twisting the throttle wide open and cranking. No go.

I'm sure it's something simple. I just wasn't planning on having to work on Old Faithful prior to the big trip Friday morning.

I had to pull some plastic off anyway to take care of some other things that I'd been putting off.

I'm going after the plugs tomorrow. This silly little thing called my job is keeping me away from my work.

I did smell fuel after turning on/off key several times. I know she's getting fuel somewhere. Perhaps I've fouled the plugs. Out they come tomorrow morning.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. This malfunction really comes as a shock seeing how she's been 100% reliable for the first 19K miles.

Thanks guys/gals. I'll update as soon as she fires!

Keep the suggestions/ideas coming.

Is the exhaust coming out when the bike won't start REALLY rich smelling. If it was an electrical problem, and you're still getting fuel, then you should be able to smell it in the exhaust.

Is the exhaust coming out when the bike won't start REALLY rich smelling. If it was an electrical problem, and you're still getting fuel, then you should be able to smell it in the exhaust.
I didn't get my head down and sniff the pipe, but I did smell the faint aroma of gasoline. I'm nearly convinced it has something to do with the fuel rails.

I've had it stored over 2 cold Minnesota winters, November-March and have never had a problem. The only difference in the way it sat this time compared with my winter lay-up is that it was on the side stand. She sits on her centerstand over the winter months.

I'm at work now, so I won't be able to dive into her until tomorrow morning. The battery is charging over night.

I did smell fuel after turning on/off key several times. I know she's getting fuel somewhere. Perhaps I've fouled the plugs. Out they come tomorrow morning.
It sounds like it is now flooded. Before pulling the plugs try it again in the morning and it may fire. Make sure to check that your vacuum hoses under the tank are not kinked, I remenber this being a problem for another owner. You could have a bad battery. Bad batteries can cause all sorts of electrical problems. I had a bad battery on a honda once that would kill the engine with no warning.

When did you last replace the spark plugs? If they are original equipment, at 19K, they are more than ready to be changed.

and the simple stuff. Check sidestand and kill switch is set to run. Though I cannot remember if the engine will turn or not when set to off.

When did you last replace the spark plugs? If they are original equipment, at 19K, they are more than ready to be changed.
and the simple stuff. Check sidestand and kill switch is set to run. Though I cannot remember if the engine will turn or not when set to off.
Original plugs, that too was on my list (head hanging).

Check on the sidestand and kill switch. Starter will NOT crank if either one of these switches is closed.

Plugs in the morning!

Keep 'em comin' guys/gals.

Thanks,

Bruce

Same thing happened to me on my 03 with 42,000km. Did a week long 4,000km trip

and then sat for 3 weeks. When I went to start it up to change the oil, it turned over

and over and over until I finally ran down the battery. Put it on charge and she

eventually started up after much sputtering..... <_<

If it coughs when cranking, try just cracking the throttle about 1/2 way or a little less. When mine did this, I finally got a TPS stuck code, which cleared itself when the bike fired and ran. Good luck. I know, it's very frustrating.

Mike

It sounds like one thing or another. Basically if you are getting fuel from the rail into the motor then check for spark, lift a plug lead and arc it to metal to try and see a spark if you both have fuel and a spark then empty fuel and try some fresh stuff. If still no go then it's got me buggered...A trip to the service dept in your town.

Good luck mate

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got the old plugs out. They're wet, so I know they've been getting fuel. I'm sure I somehow flooded it. LOL

I'm just waiting for the parts store to open so I can get some new plugs.

I have a feeling this is going to do it.

I'll make sure to keep this post updated.

Thanks,

Bruce

Before you put the new plugs in, blow out the cylinders with compressed air. I'd suggest using a long nozzle to get the air directly in the cylinder and minimizing the possibilty of blowing any crap into the cylinder.

New plugs in, didn't blow them out. It sounds like it wants to fire, but still won't. Charging battery again.

Leaving for big trip on Friday, one way or the other. My possibilities are: 1) get my trusty '04 going. 2) borrow my brother's '05. 3) load up the sportbikes on the trailer and head west.

One way or the other, we're riding during our vacation.

Sounds electrical, check the wires, coil etc. The auto parts shop should have a spark test kit to make sure you're getting good spark.

Make sure the garage is ventilated from the gas fumes first.

I assume you're trying the typical flooded engine starting routine: if it floods and won't start with no throttle, hold the throttle WFO and crank awhile?

- Mark

Once the plugs are actually wet, you could hold a flamethrower to the engine and it won't start. The trick is to not flood to begin with.

Remove the plugs and clean them, then blow out the cylinders with air before you put the plugs back in. This is what I had to do to get mine going. Make sure the battery is over 13.8 volts before you try and start it, or it'll try and flood out the plugs.