CalSci Tinted Shorty

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just curious about what type of seats you have on your FJR. I was looking for short summer windshields and was also thinking of twisted throttle add on variable MRA-X spoiler screen. Like your post on the CalSci.

Has anyone tried both the Cee Bailey and CalSci shorties?

If so, can you post on the differences? Which is least turbulent?

I ordered, received, installed and tested the CalSci Tinted Shorty.

With the spacers (I haven't tried it without), it is MUCH less turbulent than the stock screen, and thus, a little less noisy. But when I stand up into cleaner air it is even quieter! The low-frequency booming sounds disappear. This indicates that the Tinted Shorty is still too tall (and I don't like the way it looks anyway).

I have a cut down stock sheild too, which is very quiet, no buffeting, but it is ugly (see my avator) and when raised, it provides little protection, increases buffeting and noise.

Are these my only choices?

1. Short with minimal wind noise and protection

2. Taller with fatiguing wind noise and better protection

Isn't there a taller windshield that isn't noisy?

I ordered, received, installed and tested the CalSci Tinted Shorty.

With the spacers (I haven't tried it without), it is MUCH less turbulent than the stock screen, and thus, a little less noisy. But when I stand up into cleaner air it is even quieter! The low-frequency booming sounds disappear. This indicates that the Tinted Shorty is still too tall (and I don't like the way it looks anyway).

I have a cut down stock sheild too, which is very quiet, no buffeting, but it is ugly (see my avator) and when raised, it provides little protection, increases buffeting and noise.

Are these my only choices?

1. Short with minimal wind noise and protection

2. Taller with fatiguing wind noise and better protection

Isn't there a taller windshield that isn't noisy?
RIFLE

Here is what the Cee Bailey -3 looks like for comparison

IMAG0373.jpg

man, i really like that...

looking at the website, i guess that's the 15 inch? original width?

and is that tinted or clear? considering the dark gray tint...

i'm considering this very thing vs cutting a stocker way down and maybe venting like the calsci

i'm interested in your impressions of it at speeds of 80+

i'm 5'10" i'd like clean air mid/high chest for summer
I know this thread goes back over 4 years but I wanted to add some details so that other 2nd gen owners may benefit.

My Cee Bailey measures 13" from the center of the "W" where as the stocker measures 16"

Appearance wise, the -3" Cee Bailey provides a more distinct look and resembles a much more sport bike look.

I"m 5'10" with a 30" inseam. I really like the Cee Baiely around town and in the summer months. Nice smooth

non-turbulent air flow while completely lowered and up to ~75% of electric height adjustment. Full up, I get good wind block for my height but do notice an increase in turbulence. If I duck down about an inch,, everything become much less turbulent and provides significantly reduced wind. Sitting normally on the bike with the shield completely up, the wind blast is hitting the top of the helmet. I use a Shoei Quest on my FJR.

I'm contemplating trying a Calsi shorty that Carlson reviewed in search of that "clean" air for my height while still gaining substantial wind block. If any of you in this thread are not using your Calsi and would like to sell it, let me know.

For my 1000 mile day rides I use a Rifle which mitigates all wind management issues but you also gain that barn door look. Last long ride several years ago encompassed ~6000 miles in 7 days or a daily average of 850/day.

Last edited by a moderator: