CalSci XL vs. VStream (Gen 2)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I purchased the Vstream based upon your previous post on the subject and have been very satisfied as is my wife. I thank you and my wife thanks you for all the hard work and the great review. This is one of the great things about this forum.
If you're happy, I'm happy.

If your wife's happy, you're happier. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks JM for the great review.

I just ordered mine tonight. I will give some feedback in a couple of days.

Thanks,

Stacey

Hey JM nice review also like your Heli Bar. :) :)

I own the Cal Sci which I believe it's the XL ( I brought it from a forum member). The vent hole on my is huge. So on hot days you don't notice not having this vent hole? Also I'm 5' 11" and can easily see over the shield, in fact if it's available I was considering going 1' taller than my Cal Sci. Now JM would mind going out and buying a Cee Bailey's sheild and throw that into your review. :lol: :lol:

Hey JM nice review also like your Heli Bar. :) :)
I own the Cal Sci which I believe it's the XL ( I brought it from a forum member). The vent hole on my is huge. So on hot days you don't notice not having this vent hole? Also I'm 5' 11" and can easily see over the shield, in fact if it's available I was considering going 1' taller than my Cal Sci. Now JM would mind going out and buying a Cee Bailey's sheild and throw that into your review. :lol: :lol:
Thanks Chris,

Some Forum Member helped me get a discount on the Heli :D

The Cal Sci vent has VERY little effect, when it comes to cooling the rider. Air moves under the sheild from the bottom in much greater volume than through the vent. It's there for turbulence control, not air conditioning.

You may want to measure your shield, and compare it with the Cal-Sci site. They do offer an XXL, which is BIG! Each size increase for Gen-2 FJRs is 1 inch.

As for the Cee Bailey's...already tried that! I had a +4 +4 flip, and didn't care for it. For me, it wasn't quite wide enough at the upper edge. Some riders swear by the CB flip, and for good reason. It may actually work better for someone around 6' than the V-Stream.

Just received my Vstream today and wished that I had purchased it when I first bought the bike.

My helmet noise is now roughly 10% of what I had been dealing with using the factory windshield.

Thanks JM for the good advice.

Just received my Vstream today and wished that I had purchased it when I first bought the bike.My helmet noise is now roughly 10% of what I had been dealing with using the factory windshield.

Thanks JM for the good advice.
Glad you like it.

I'm still happy with mine; hopefully the last shield I'll need for this bike.

Sorry to throw a wrench in the works, but what about me?

I am 6', 32" inseam, and have an '05 with a CalSci medium. I also have a homemade (tuning block) riser to angle the shield back a tad. I have been happy with the CalSci. With it down, I get nice clean air. Very good, in South Florida where I live. When I put it up, there is a point at which a tradeoff between silence and turbulence/back pressure occurs. It is basically an overlap, and I cannot get both.

Gen I bikes do not have a native vent, so the CalSci's benefit is its holes which vent air into the cockpit to reduce back pressure & turbulence. Now, I would try th V-Stream, but I have two concerns.

1. Will the V-Stream roast me in the Florida heat? Will I get clean air in the down position (with the tuning block)??

2. What about the back-pressure & turbulence? Has anyone put holes in the V-Stream to help reduce the back pressure with success?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

-BD

Brun Dog,

I have a v-stream and am 6'2" with a 32" inseam. I ran my v-stream all summer. I always run it in the down position unless I need to open my visor to scratch my face. When I do put the shield up I can feel some back pressure but it is not bad at all.

When it gets really hot I use a cool vest and it works great.

First, neither of these shields are recommended for riders under 6' tall.
You made this quote in your first post. I'm 5'6" and I'm looking for an after market shield to help with some of the wind noise and turbulence. I was going to look at the Cal Sci Med. and the VStream.. Why aren't these sheilds recommend for anyone under 6' tall?? What sheilds are recommended? Thanks
I'm 5'6 and have the vstream. i dont find it to be too tall. when the screen is in the lowest position, i look over the top of it. the wind hits me about mid helmet in that position. i raise the shield about one inch from its lowest position to pitch the wind over my helmet. This gives us short riders a couple of great advantages:

1. with the shield in the lower positions, the heat improvements made of the 2006 and above can really work. i've noticed that as the shield comes up, engine heat is brought along with it. lower shield position = less heat.

2. in the lowest position, you still look way over the shield

3. on those long boring highway rides, you can raise the shield all the way up and truly be in a bubble of silence. I'm not one that loves to look through a shield, but on long highway rides its a joy to be in that bubble.

4. the v-stream offers some of the best protection for passengers in its full up position.

also note. the Vstream is not 4 inches taller than stock. its 3.25 taller. at 5'6, you definitly dont want to go any taller that 3.25

GreyGoose