Campgrounds by State...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hard to go wrong with KOA. I consistent level of good quality and you can buy a discount membership that is a great deal if you use it moderately often.

Hey only two in Massachusetts? And one of them is free parking in a truck stop that has been closed for years. I want a refund!

Hard to go wrong with KOA. I consistent level of good quality and you can buy a discount membership that is a great deal if you use it moderately often.
I'm going to have to give KOA another try. We used to camp while traveling when I was a kid because my parents had no money. I HATED every KOA we stayed at and preferred non-KOA. Seems that at the time KOA was nothing more than big fields divided into plots for campsites with no trees. At least the ones we got stuck at were like that. Hated that so much it burned into me that I about vomit every time someone brings it up. I've seen pics in ride reports though and looks like maybe they've changed over the years.

KOAs aren't bad. Especially if you're new to camping.

While not cheap, they are consistent, with pool, laundry,

TV, camp store, etc.

Maybe not the best, but like McDonalds, there's no

surprises when you walk in.

On my first cross-country camping trip I stayed at KOAs

the whole trip. Some, like the one in Hot Springs, SD,

were awesome.

One of my new favorite sites is Campendium, which also has a "free" section. They have "Yelp" style reviews, pix, and show things like cell coverage. More for RV'ers but still good. I liked it enough to kick in money for their Kickstarter campaign to improve the servers and design.

They are growing and may not have exhaustive reviews of each site. But they do show places by map.

Last edited by a moderator:
But they do show places by map.
A necessary function in a site like that or this one. Nothing worse than going to an area you aren't familiar with the towns and trying to find a campsite via a list. Ugh.

KOAs aren't bad. Especially if you're new to camping.While not cheap, they are consistent, with pool, laundry,

TV, camp store, etc.

Maybe not the best, but like McDonalds, there's no

surprises when you walk in.

On my first cross-country camping trip I stayed at KOAs

the whole trip. Some, like the one in Hot Springs, SD,

were awesome.
Also KOAs often have cabins. I always try to talk the Spousal Unit into taking a cabin if the camping conditions are sketchy. I will camp without complaint unless it is hot, cold, humid, raining, windy, buggy or threatening do be any of the above. After 27 years as an infantryman, sleeping in the rocks like a lizard, camping holds no allure for me.... but I am often countermanded.

Also KOAs often have cabins. I always try to talk the Spousal Unit into taking a cabin if the camping conditions are sketchy. I will camp without complaint unless it is hot, cold, humid, raining, windy, buggy or threatening do be any of the above. After 27 years as an infantryman, sleeping in the rocks like a lizard, camping holds no allure for me.... but I am often countermanded.
While I married a woman who is a self proclaimed "Tomboy," she is NOT a camper. I have shown her pics of the KOA cabins and they are little to primitive for her.
biggrin.png
Tent camping is for me and the boy. Guys weekend out.

Missus Hudson was a reluctant tent camper, and while she was a good sport, it was clear this wasn't going to be a regular occurrence.

Fixed the problem by turning her into a "glamper" and got a proper RV. Now she totally looks forward to heading out.

That's the plan. I'm currently shopping for a truck to replace the MINI in the next few months. Then we can talk about a camper trailer.
biggrin.png

It should be noted that many of the state parks in North Carolina have primitive campsites available at minimal cost. Reservations are recommended. Click here to search all parks by activity.
Is not all of NC considered primitive? At least that's what we were taught during our formitive years in the Old Dominion.
At the time of your teachings, just near the end of The War of Northern Aggression, that may have been so. But we have progressed juussst a tad since then.

Missus Hudson was a reluctant tent camper, and while she was a good sport, it was clear this wasn't going to be a regular occurrence.
Fixed the problem by turning her into a "glamper" and got a proper RV. Now she totally looks forward to heading out.
Surprised you ever got her to use a tent...
rolleyes.gif
smile.png

Surprised you ever got her to use a tent...
rolleyes.gif
smile.png
AuburnFJR and Hudson, do you think Dr. Rich would get pissed off if I mentioned the Free Whidbey Island Bed and Breakfast? JSNS, Irish Discounts!

Last edited by a moderator: