Can you identify this vintage two stroke my Grandpa is sitting on?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dustyrains

Reaction score
I came across this old b&w snap of my long dead Grandfather sitting on a two stroke bike of unknown make. Pretty sure it was taken in the 70's. I have zoomed on the logo on the tank but can't make it out. Thanks for any help identifying this bike.

Tmp00003.jpg

Looks like a Triumph TR25W except the exhaust pipe may be wrong, should be higher. I also can't reconcile the forward cant of the engine. May be on the order of an early 60's T20?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for any help identifying this bike.
It's definitely Italian (at least I'm pretty sure it is) and maybe a Benelli and probably says "MontgomeryWard" on it -- sold by them in the U.S. by catalog and in-stores. Probably 50cc. Definitely cool -- both the bike and your grand-dad... :)

You're welcome.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ducati dustyrains, I hope one of the Other Old Farts on our FJR Forum, such as Niehart, cmmf or FJRay will jump on to this topic for you.

When I bought my 1966 BMW R60/2 in Germany in March of 1969, I was also looking at a Moto-Guzzi Falcone. The Augsburg M/C shop also sold the Ducati 125 two stroke, your Grandfather's bike sure looks like the Ducati two strokers of the 60's and 70's. That recessed tail section of the tank is a Ducati trademark to this day!

It's definitely Italian (at least I'm pretty sure it is) and maybe a Benelli and probably says "MontgomeryWard" on it -- sold by them in the U.S. by catalog and in-stores. Probably 50cc. Definitely cool -- both the bike and your grand-dad... :)

You're welcome.
You could be definitely right on Benelli aspect, cmmf! I posted it may be one of the Ducati 125's, which externally can not be differentiated, by looks, from 50cc Ducks!

I sent a link to my Dad, in England and got the following reply from Mom; (Dad doesn't DO computers).

Dad's impression is that it is definitely Italian, and yes it might be a Benelli, or even a Garelli record - The Italians used to mix and match the names.

Sure do look like OM gots it nailed. In particular check out the details on the lower engine case. The seat fasteners, front and rear suspension and all the other details match. Guess that is where the OLD in OM comes from :lol: Or, he does real good Googling.

You're welcome.
Yeah, I wonder how he knew about wearing the hat backwards. I don't recall him being a real fashion forward kind of guy. :rolleyes:

Found a pic that identifies this bike as a "California Fireball". This one appears to have the same handlebars. Edit: Oops, maybe not the same model as the one grandpa is sitting on. Different forks.

red%20benelli%20fireball%2050.jpg

Ok, I think I found it. This was probably a Montgomery Wards Riverside 450ss, if the info included with the pic is correct. These were rebadged Benellis, I am sure. The 4 probably indicated 4 speed, the 50 indicated 50cc, and the ss, maybe "supersport"? Just a guess.

Montgomery%20Wards%20Riverside%20450ss.jpg

Ok, I really think I found the exact model this time, right down to the tank emblem. The black and white photo with my Gramps is pretty grainy, but if you look closely at the tank logo, you can see how it matches the one below. Plus, the forks are right, and the handlebars are right. The info with this pic says it is a Wards Riverside 1966 Benelli Vegas. Thanks to Old Michael for getting me on the right track. Edit: and thank you charismatic.

Tmp00003.jpg

Wards_Riverside_1966_Benelli_Vegas_3.jpg

And they sounded like, "ring ding ding ding, buuuuuur ring ding ding....." And gobs of smoke and leaking oil from the 2 cycle engine. A neighborhood kid had a 67 and his dad drove a Corvair that smoked and leaked just as bad. Remember them well. Am I showing my age? PM. <>< :unsure: :p

And they sounded like, "ring ding ding ding, buuuuuur ring ding ding....." And gobs of smoke and leaking oil from the 2 cycle engine. A neighborhood kid had a 67 and his dad drove a Corvair that smoked and leaked just as bad. Remember them well. Am I showing my age? PM. <>< :unsure: :p
Don't know how old you are, Painman but I remember carrying a glass, 8oz soda bottle in the pocked of my waxed cotton riding jacket. It was just enough oil for a full tank of gas. In the other pocket I had a plug wrench and a dry spark plug. That one, forward facing cylinder on my Yamaha FS1E sport moped took a soaking every time it rained. Had to pull over, put the dry plug in, then ride a bit further.