Can You Lift an FJR?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Laid it down one morning at work parking lot. Don't even know how it happened, one second pulling up to back into the parking space and then I was holding on for all I was worth trying to keep from going down. Finally had to give in and let her down as slow as possible. No one around, so only option was to pick it up. After assesing, I decided to remove the trunk and the upside saddlebag. Then backed but up to it and did just what others here have said. Worked perfectly.

here it is on you tube

That link should be "pinned" under FAQs!

[SIZE=8pt]I added it to my favorites....these incidents sometimes come "in droves", so it'll now be a quick link to add.[/SIZE]

'Cuz summa yew liddle fellers cain't jist pick yer bike up witcher rite arm en flip thet dang ol' sydestan down witcher leff arm. Er mebbe yew orta be a'rydin wit fjrchik (Er FJRChik, er Krashdragon, Silver Penguin, Barb, Luvtoride, Agirl er BkrChk) soes they kud be doin' it fer yuh, jist encase yew shud fall yer bike down. Er ess yew kud be taykin summa them ester-oh-gen tabbylets en grow summa yer own bewbies!?!?!? :eek: :dribble: :blink:

:lol: :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Summing up all the comments above, you either have to 1) have boobs or, 2) in the event you don't have boobs, watch a youtube video to learn how to do it yourself, 'cuz ain't nobody gonna help ya.

I have dropped mine twice. First time was about 2 weeks after I bought it, boot caught on the sidestand and it folded back up as I was leaning the bike over. Couldn't stop it. The second time was in the middle of stop and go traffic. Was trying to manuver around a stopped car and was doing the creeping/balance thing looking for an opening. Saw an opening on the right and leaned the bike to the right but when I released the clutch I killed it. Forward motion stopped but the sideways motion kept going and I couldn't stop it.

Long way of saying, both times I so much adrenaline going from embarrassment (and because I was pissed, pissed, PISSED!!! :angry: ) that I picked it up faster than it went down. There was nothing that was going to keep me from standing her up. It had to be adrenaline because I have no boobs. Not even man boobs.

here it is on you tube
I thought this was supposed to be about how to lift a motorcycle? :D I went to motor school with this guy and he can tell you how for sure. :rolleyes:
c1c594716a2e132a0a0494201e01f4280_large.jpg

Without rehearsing the technique, I was able to pick up a friend's downed VStar 1100 without too much difficulty. If you follow the directions show in the Ride Like A Pro program it's do-able, even for a vertically challenged girl! The FJR is a different story, because the weight distribution of the bike is different. I took a RLAP class on my Ninja 650R, and volunteered for the downed-bike-pick-up. Bear in mind that the Ninja has a dry weight of a mere 398lbs. Even with the instructor coaching my every move, I was unable to get that bike to move an inch. Another volunteer, with a similar bike had the same experience. For a non-cruiser, the technique involves facing the bike rather than putting your butt towards it. The work is still done with the big muscles in the legs.

Of course, all of the males in the class would have been able to lift these bikes with ease, but none of them felt like demonstrating their skills that day. :rolleyes:

Jill

I always try to get someone else to help me get it up. It's just more fun that way.

The times (so far) that I dropped the FJR, the side stand was never an option. Terrain on the left was unsuitable. So both times I was forced to lift the bike while facing it and without any assistance. If boobs would have helped then I would gladly have felt some to get things going.

:)

Thanks, all of you. These are great ideas, especially the one about remembering not to just push it right over onto the other side! I'll remember the kickstand next time--and I KNOW there'll be a next time sooner or later! Definitely yes on the sliders, too. I've done this before, of course, just never with the FJR, and somebody always stops to help, except once in a southern Idaho National Park where I hadn't seen another vehicle for about two hours--but that bike was a much easier lift. As for the boobs, though, FJRchik is absolutely right. If ya got a pair of them babies you can ALWAYS find somebody to lift the damn bike for ya.

Thanks, all of you. These are great ideas, especially the one about remembering not to just push it right over onto the other side! I'll remember the kickstand next time--and I KNOW there'll be a next time sooner or later! Definitely yes on the sliders, too. I've done this before, of course, just never with the FJR, and somebody always stops to help, except once in a southern Idaho National Park where I hadn't seen another vehicle for about two hours--but that bike was a much easier lift. As for the boobs, though, FJRchik is absolutely right. If ya got a pair of them babies you can ALWAYS find somebody to lift the damn bike for ya.

Looks like picking my FJR up will be real easy...as long as I have barb with me. :yahoo: :yahoo:

...thought a pair of emoticons was suitable here.

Sorry to hear of the drop. I almost tipped mine earlier this year and realized I'm not in shape. As such I have begun working out to offset the challenge of lifting if/when it tips. Anything beyond that 90 Degree will always be a bear+.

Well I can't. Couldn't today anyway, on the sloping parking lot where I stupidly dumped it somehow. Stopped, no damage to speak of, but once it started to go over, hell, I couldn't stop it for anything, and it finished going over the rest of the way all by itself. Of course, it went to the downhill side, so it was a more than a ninety degree lift to get it upright. I was struggling with it when a guy pulled over and we got it up together. Biker, naturally, but in a car. I don't mention this to brag about my carelessness, but I'm hoping somebody has a good suggestion, other than a few months at the gym, for either how to overcome that first moment when you know it's going over but it's too late to stop it, or else a way to get it back upright without volunteer help. Best place to grab, things like that. And MAN, I've GOT to get a pair of sliders on that baby.
I can pick mine up, yes twice but only with good footing, loose gravel or oil on the road, like the last time, and it takes some help. Technique is everything, but without the footing, you are cooked.

Here is the next farkle for the FJR not madenot on the drawing board but comming soon by who ever want a challenge for manufacturing one. A portable air bag to lift the bike about 70% of it way from on the ground to a verticlal height where its center of gravity is more than 50% and ready to be upright.

This would be a good challenge for say Skyways mfg. to take on and do .......... :unsure: