Can't reset engine code

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brisendines

Reaction score
During a quick run a couple weeks ago, my check engine light came on. I checked everything over and made sure it was ok, then headed on down the road. Since then I've found out about the diagnostic mode and read lots about resetting the code. However, I'm unable to reset the code on dl 62. 61 shows a 0. The fuel pump kicks on and keeps running any time 62 is displayed, and flipping the kill switch to kill then back to run doesn't do anything other than shut off the fuel pump. When I turn the key back on, it still displays the error code 24- O2 sensor.

Any ideas why? The bike previously had a power commander on it, but was removed before I bought the bike, and I haven't had a problem in the 15k miles since I bought it.

Was hoping that I was just missing something in the reset sequence. Didn't really want to take the tank off. It is under the tank, right?

Awesome. That makes more sense- I've never seen an O2 sensor in the airbox. Will check this weekend- I forget that for a big bike, it still isn't too hard to get under the tank.

Awesome. That makes more sense- I've never seen an O2 sensor in the airbox. Will check this weekend- I forget that for a big bike, it still isn't too hard to get under the tank.
Perhaps (likely?) I misunderstand this statement.

The O2 sensor is mounted in the exhaust system almost straight down from where the connector is located under the tank. It will be the only thing in the exhaust system with wires. As the pictures show, the connector (coupler in Yamaha lingo) is under the tank. One end of the connector goes to the sensor and the other end goes to the ECU. The purpose of the O2 sensor is to read the amount of oxygen in the exhaust stream to provide the ECU an idea of fuel trim when operating in the closed loop fuel control mode. The FJR only operates in the closed loop mode under a limited number of situations. [simple] Closed loop = ECU continuously reads the amount of O2 in the exhaust and then makes any changes required to the fuel injection duration, then measures the O2 again to see how it did and then make corrections as required for best fuel economy and engine operation. [/simple]

Brisendines, the simple isn't for you, it's for the other Forum members that will pile on with more detail because I 'left stuff out and didn't contain detailed information'.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, you didn't misunderstand my statement, but I couldn't for the life of me understand why the O2 sensor would be under the tank. I read a thread somewhere that someone was obviously speaking about the plug, but didn't specify, and they said it was under the tank. I searched for the location since the header on this bike is hidden behind plastic. I never assumed that people would unplug the sensor but not remove the plug- on a husky I had I just threaded in an oil drain plug from an auto parts store.

As I mentioned, the O2 sensor is almost straight down from the connector under the tank. The sensor is located in the collector/catalytic converter chamber where all four head pipes come together. In the 4 wheel world which has OBD I and OBD II you can't just unplug the sensor the way you can in the Gen I and Gen II. In the OBD world you have to use simulators (sims) to keep the Check Engine light off. The Gen III *may* be different because it has an OBD type engine health connector in trade for the diAG in the earlier Generations.

Edit on 8/6/16: The Gen III '13 to '15 have a Yamaha proprietary ECU connector for Data Logging and Sensor Tracking and still retains DIAG functions. The '16 and probably all future FJRs has the standard OBD II connector and supports some OBD II protocols as well as Yamaha specific codes.

Last edited by a moderator: