CEL & ABS light with code 47, 2008 FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MojaveFJR

Reaction score
After the last ride the ABS light came (solid) on but the vehicle acted normally for the rest of the ride. Shut the bike off, turned it on, no ABS light.

Yesterday, started the bike, ABS light is off, no CEL, no Code. Get down the road 3 or so miles, ABS light came on, CEL lit up, engine went into limp mode (No power). Got the bike to the dealership, code 47 is shown on the dash, first time this appeared. This code is not in my Yamaha Service manual.

Anyone out there with any insight on this code and willing to share it would be greatly appreciated. Asked the service tech and of course he had no insight.

Oh, this happens two months outside of the Y.E.S. expiration. Nice.

The bike was not ridden any harder than has been in the past. Only thing I can remember differently from this run is that we hit a very small pothole on the way down the hill but can't recall if the ABS light was before that or not.

After the last ride the ABS light came (solid) on but the vehicle acted normally for the rest of the ride. Shut the bike off, turned it on, no ABS light.
Yesterday, started the bike, ABS light is off, no CEL, no Code. Get down the road 3 or so miles, ABS light came on, CEL lit up, engine went into limp mode (No power). Got the bike to the dealership, code 47 is shown on the dash, first time this appeared. This code is not in my Yamaha Service manual.

Anyone out there with any insight on this code and willing to share it would be greatly appreciated. Asked the service tech and of course he had no insight.

Oh, this happens two months outside of the Y.E.S. expiration. Nice.

The bike was not ridden any harder than has been in the past. Only thing I can remember differently from this run is that we hit a very small pothole on the way down the hill but can't recall if the ABS light was before that or not.
ABS light will come on if the rear brake pedal won't release properly, check it's free to move.

Is yours an AE? This leads to an SH__47 error on the AE, I posted this here.

(Click on image for larger view)

Last edited by a moderator:
Not an AE. Rear brake appeared to be working but, that doesn't mean the plunger wasn't sticking. Since you brought it up, ever since owning the bike I have had to press the pedal several times to get it to engage? Anyone else have this issue with the rear brake pedal?

My code also didn't have the Sh_ _ before it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not an AE. Rear brake appeared to be working but, that doesn't mean the plunger wasn't sticking. Since you brought it up, ever since owning the bike I have had to press the pedal several times to get it to engage? Anyone else have this issue with the rear brake pedal?
If you have to press the pedal multiple times before the brake will engage then you almost certainly are in need of a brake hydraulic line bleed. You have some air in the system!

It's VERY common for the rear brake pedal to hang up due to lack of lubrication on it's pivot. And if the pedal sticks and the brake light comes on, then you will get the ABS light after riding for a short while.

Regardless whether this is your problem, I'd highly suggest removing the rear brake pedal and cleaning/lubing it. Even if it's not your problem, it will be down the road if you don't do this maintenance.

It's VERY common for the rear brake pedal to hang up due to lack of lubrication on it's pivot. And if the pedal sticks and the brake light comes on, then you will get the ABS light after riding for a short while.

Regardless whether this is your problem, I'd highly suggest removing the rear brake pedal and cleaning/lubing it. Even if it's not your problem, it will be down the road if you don't do this maintenance.
Thanks, that does remind its been awhile since PM's have been done on the bike. One would guess that becuase the rear brake pedal could be hanging up, causing the ABS light to come on, then the CEL would come on and the engine go into limp mode.

The ABS ECU does a self check on power up. This is indicated when you first turn the ignition switch on you should see the ABS light come on for 2 seconds then go out. Does it do that?

Yes it does that.

Tech states they found the problem. Problem was located on the rear brake ABS sensor. Tech stated that the screw had backed out due to being stripped. They re-tapped the bolt, inserted the new bolt, system checks out now.

Had them bleed the brake system while it was there. 30k on the bike, pads are good but the system was begin to get squishy.

Got a nice long ride schedule for the weekend.

Thanks for closing the loop on your problem/solution. :thumbsup:

I'd have expected the ABS light, but not the CEL, in that situation.

We'll have to stash that tidbit away in the old memory banks as it could come in really handy some day.