Centerstand easier to use on Gen III

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Unicycle52

Reaction score
Okay all you Gen III owners. Has anyone examined the center stand and it's pivot location on a Gen III bike to see how it is different from previous generations. I have read several times that it is easier to use. I'm curious if it is a redesigned stand or a different pivoting point or a combination.

Bill Hamilton

I'm sure someone has compared a Gen I or II side by side with a Gen III. Has anyone documented with photos, dimensions, or observation, any difference between the stands/pivot points on the different generations.

I looked at my 07 next to my 14 and could not really see any difference. There is no doubt the 14 is much easier to get up on the stand. My question is, has anyone gone to a 190/55 on their GenIII? I ask because I want to be sure the rear tire is sufficiently lifted off the surface.

Last edited by a moderator:
I cannot say what the difference is but it has to be more than just "footpad placement". I wanted to feel this difference for myself and since the salesman okayed it... Holy Shit! I almost launched the 2014 into the Star Raider Limited that was parked behind the FJR. It was so much easier that it was almost dangerous.

I saw the '14 at the Orlando Show. It looked to me like the pad that you put your foot on the lift it is a bit longer giving it waaaay more leverage.

I don't know why it is easier; all I care is that it is easier! I can almost get the bike up on the stand without using the right arm at all.

If they're the same stand with ONLY a different lever, then the stand would work on the GenI and GenII FJRs. Unless someone is able to do that, they are not the same stand.

Someone has to want to try...Right??

The foot pad lever seems longer and it pisses me off when I am riding on the balls of my feet in the curves because it interferes with my left heel. I didn't see the problem with the old center stand but I'm over 200 lb. and with a little technique it was a piece of cake getting it on the center stand.

FWIW, I never had an issue with Dad's Gen2. I will say that his FJR is the most centerstand finicky bike I ever dealt with. But the difference between the Gen2 and Gen3 is hard to believe. I scared the crap out of myself on the showroom floor with that 2014.

First time I put my '11 on the centerstand, in the show room to demonstrate to the sales guy that I could, the bike slid back a good foot. Never had much problem putting any bike on the centerstand.

Reading the above, if I ever have occasion to put a Gen III on the centerstand, I'll proceed with caution

WOW, you guys all agree that the new bike goes up like a charm but NOBODY has answered my question as to why.

A photo comparison of the old and new stand/pivot might be nice. Or even a description.

I have owned FJR's exclusively since 2005. I can consistently raise it on the stand but at 5' 3" weighing in at 135 lbs, this 61 year old body is "beginning" to notice the weight when the bike has a full tank of gas. I would love to make the chore a little easier.

2012 Center Stand

2012centerstand.jpg

2013 Center Stand

2013centerstand.jpg

It just looks like they lowered the cross bar and changed the angle/shape of the step lever pad. Part of the easier operation of third gens may be a longer rear shock. What is the rear tire clearance when on the stand for a 3rd gen vs 2nd gen?

It most certainly is shorter but most likely not visible to the necked eye. Hence the Big Foot interferes now when previous it didn't before.

Dave

I wonder if they thought to put the bolts in from the other side to help facilitate removal for suspension pivot maintenance?