CFR 2018 - WooHoo! Registration is going LIVE November 1st!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Long time Al !! Good to see you posting
smile.png
-- you don't need a bike to get there ya know , jus sayin'
Roger, you old scouser!! Good to see you are still this side of the asphalt.

Yes, we now have a bus connection to Nakusp - my moped would take hours.

I'd like to head there also but if all goes according to plan I should be headed for Prudhoe Bay, AK around May 30th and finishing up in Nakusp. I love to go but I should head for home and spend time with my wife.
Panman, I'll be heading back home after this event too. I'll be doing some WeSTOC recon riding around Baker City the week before and then riding up to Nakusp before heading home. Were you planning on riding straight home or would you be interested in making it a 2 day ride? I was thinking about heading west, maybe to Whislter, then riding home on Monday. You interested?

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like things maybe changing as the Alaska deal is off, I might even be interested running with you a few days in advance?? Love snooping and getting lost.

Looks like things maybe changing as the Alaska deal is off, I might even be interested running with you a few days in advance?? Love snooping and getting lost.
I haven't nailed down the dates other than knowing I want to be at this event after riding around in Oregon. I'm thinking I'll probably be leaving Seattle some time during the week of June 11th. All depends on how many days we'll be looping around Baker City, then adding in the days to get down there, then up to Nakusp. Probably head out the 13th or 14th of June?? I have your email address and I'll add you to the group of riders I've already been emailing with. The WeSTOC recon is usually a pretty loosely organized ride with people joining in and out as it progresses. I'll try and throw something together in the coming weeks and put it up on my website for planning and discussion purposes. Would be great to have you along!

What happened to the Alaska trip? Is it off for you or for everyone?

Well, Josh and I are SOUTHeast of you and our plans thus far are pretty simple:

I'm leaving home on June 14th and intend to meet Josh in Dodge City, Kansas on the evening of the 15th. From there, we intend to ride and see as much of this beautiful continent that we can. We pledge not to come home before two sets of tires are worn or July 4th, whichever comes first.

I apologize for my sarcasm. 4 months is a long time to wait. Pants gets ants in his pants!!

Adam, might be interested in joining on the Whistler to Nakusp portion
I've never attended this event so I don't know how schedule works. I'm guessing Thursday is arrival day and Sunday morning is departure?? If that's the case it would be Nakusp to Whistler on the way home Sunday, then on to the Seattle area Monday.

That'll work. So Sunday and Monday, right?

Panman- Josh and I are heading toward jasper on the ice fields parkway after CFR. I figure if Im going to walk the glacier, I better go ahead and do it before its too late.

Looking forward to seeing you again Pants. I have only ridden the Parkway South, it will be a different experience going north.

First time I rode it it was overcast hiding the tops of the mountains and 42 degrees, I froze my hand taking pictures. It would have been a Black & White Photographers dream, my little point and shoot even made it beautiful. As I was riding along cold and a bit lonely and this song came up and along with a couple of others from the Concert in Black and White on my I-Pod.

We are headed towards Jasper also. You speedy guys can sweep up law enforcement so I don't need to worry. From Jasper I think I'll head back south and then towards Calgary and points south and west.

Ray - I've heard horror stories about excessive speed in Canada, and if half of them are true, I'm paying attention. There will be other opportunities on this adventure to blow the carbon out of the cans. Pants plans to be good in Canada.

Like you, Josh and I will head back through Banff after Jasper to cross the border near Glacier and then play in that region before Big John's Spearfish extravaganza!! That sounds like a good time to get some fresh shoes mounted on the horses, and we are told there are plenty friends in the area willing to help.

Slowly, VERY slowly, this thing is starting to look like something. Beyond doubt, the waiting is the hardest part...

Pants if the weather is good you will have to ride 16 (YellowHead Hwy) out of Jasper to Tete Jaune Cache and turn around and ride back to see Mt Robson come into view. It is absolutely astounding! It is an extra 120 miles to your trip but....................................................

The horror stories you’ve heard about speed enforcement in Canada is mostly true..the lower the speed limit, the closer you need to stick to it. In a 100km/hr zone you might be able to do 110-but not 111...I usually keep it in the 104-109 km/hr range. School zones and construction zones are very strict. When you see a cop on the side of the road you must pull over to the other lane and slow to 60 km/hr - and the fines for failing to do so are huge!

But, we do have free health care