Challenge the Dragon

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clsonfjr

Reaction score
I'm still in the dreaming stage, but I'm trying to figure out how much time off work I'd need in order to attend. If I'm right, the "Tail of the Dragon" is only a couple of hours from rally headquarters. I've heard from many sources that this is the best motorcycle road in North America, so it is definitely on my list of roads to ride on this trip. Are there plans for a group ride, or should I take an extra travel day (or 2)?

Thanks,

Chris

The Dragon is ok and certainly gives you a workout, but I don't know if I'd call it the best out there (it definitely should be experienced)...the whole area is ripe with other great roads (Cherohala Skyway being a big notable) that are less crowded, more fun, and with less LEO's. I'd imagine there'll be a few that want to go that way at EOM (around 2.5-3 hours away per Google Maps). Personally, I'm looking forward to working some other areas for a change. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm still in the dreaming stage, but I'm trying to figure out how much time off work I'd need in order to attend. If I'm right, the "Tail of the Dragon" is only a couple of hours from rally headquarters. I've heard from many sources that this is the best motorcycle road in North America, so it is definitely on my list of roads to ride on this trip. Are there plans for a group ride, or should I take an extra travel day (or 2)?

Thanks,

Chris
Chris,

Wayne put EOM in prime twisty road heaven. No need to travel 2 1/2 hours away to get to a hyped up road to ride with the squids that hang out there.

You're already where you want to be...by staying at the EOM area.

Of course before or after the meet, you may want to visit if you're curious to see those 11 miles of road...but no need to take a special trip there during the meet if yer looking for great riding.

...and just because someone else calls it the best road in America doesn't make it so. Quite frankly, I enjoy roads in SE Ohio just as much.

Quite frankly, I enjoy the roads in SE Ohio just as much.
Got that right!!! So when are we gonna hit those roads again?
I'm thinking along the lines of on the way down to hicktuckey...
EOM??? that's not till the end of September
You guys, think July for SE Ohio. Thats shaping up to the time frame for my run down. Details to follow.
I'm in, as long as it's not July 8-10...I'll be working the Superbike Races at Mid-Ohio

Yes, you can make it to the Dragon in a couple hours from Cumberland Falls, KY. They're great - since you're coming down from Canada, don't go north until you've ridden it, Rt. 28, and the Cherohala Skyway.

That being said, there will be plenty of great routes organized for EOM with far less LEO presence. A few of the routes Jeff Ashe is building include roads that rival the dragon.

So, what you're all saying, then, is that it's OK to wear out the center strip on my tires getting to/from EOM, because I won't won't need it while I'm there? :D And we'll all be staying at a campground? :D And there's going to be a bikini bike wash? :)

This is sounding too good to be true...somebody's draining my bank account while I'm typing this, aren't they? :unsure:

Chris

There are definitely roads that are better than the Dragon, IMO. Actually, if you're interested in finding a truely worthy road closer to the meet, you may travel Rte 16 from Tazewell, VA to Marion, VA... or vice versa. No shit though, a ton of good roads in the area where the ones are that are soon planned. KY is worthy of EOM fo' sho'. I personally cannot wait!

There are definitely roads that are better than the Dragon, IMO. Actually, if you're interested in finding a truely worthy road closer to the meet, you may travel Rte 16 from Tazewell, VA to Marion, VA... or vice versa. No shit though, a ton of good roads in the area where the ones are that are soon planned. KY is worthy of EOM fo' sho'. I personally cannot wait!

They don't come much better than this stretch and don't forget to take a run into Burke's Garden just northeast of Tazewell while you're there.

Oh yeah, Burke's Garden is definitely worth a ride. That's an awesome road!

Take the Burkes Garden Challenge! The rules are easy:

You can't go out the same road you went in.

Have fun!

Have fun!

Oh, now THAT's a challenge worthy of new suspension....and a topographic map.
I prefer to have asphalt under my FJR, so I'll pass on the "alternative" route out the east side, but the twisties do look tempting.

Thanks,

Chris
Comming as far as you are I would ride Deals Gap. It's a must ride like going to Four Corners. Go there buy the T shirt and then go ride the Cherohala.

Scoop

Have fun!

Oh, now THAT's a challenge worthy of new suspension....and a topographic map.
I prefer to have asphalt under my FJR, so I'll pass on the "alternative" route out the east side, but the twisties do look tempting.
Me to but but not an absolute necessity I'm bike-less right now for first time in 38 years (Totaled my 03 FJR at CFO weak before last)but expect to have 2 bikes before EOM and since it's in my back yard this year might bring both. I have located an 07 FJR that looks to be a promising replacement and if all goes well should pick up this week end also S10 on order is supposed to be in end of August which might be much more suited for that alternate route out of Burks Garden. Of course if I bring both SO will have to bring one on trailer behind cage but that's how it goes.