Changed Battery...Still have startup hesitation

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vance

Reaction score
Have an FJR '03, changed the battery and now there is a two second hesitation before lights up and then my trip mileage and clock keep resetting. What happened? E-mail me please and let me know. [email protected]

Last edited by a moderator:
was the battery charged before you put it in? Some need to be put on charger before you put it in.

Pretty much all batteries need that, I think. But my comment to the OP is this--if somebody emails you the answer, it might help you. But if they post it out in the open, it helps everybody. That's why we have the forum. (Well, and so we can insult each other.)

thanks guys. Put my e-mail as I didn't know if I'd get a notification of my question. Kind of new to the forum. Anyway, had the bike shop install the battery and hopefully they charged it. Seems like it's strong starting. I did mean to put a battery tender on it and will do but seems like it's fully charged. Maybe the type of battery they put in? Thought they got an OEM one as they didn't stock the battery and had to order it. The shop is puzzled as to why it's doing what it is also.

On a side note, my electric windshield hasn't been working for quite some time. Think I need to order that $700 motor. Any ideas where I can get a cheaper part, like a good FJR salvage spot?

Sorry about putting my e-mail. It was as a backup in case I didn't know what the heck I was doing on the site, which I probably still don't.

How many miles on the bike? Ok I have also had similar issues over the years with my 03. Does this happen all the time or only when the bike is hot? Does the windshield not move at all or only does not retract when you turn it off. By the way where do you live just to get an idea of time zone difference.

Check the battery connections to make sure they are clean(cable ends), and tight?

Is the delay when you first turn the key and this just started happening since the new battery? If so, I'd check with the shop,maybe a bad new battery?

For the windshield motor, may want to post an ad in the Classifieds Wanted to Buy here on the forum. There was one recently that sold for only $45, heck of a buy.

How many miles on the bike? Ok I have also had similar issues over the years with my 03. Does this happen all the time or only when the bike is hot? Does the windshield not move at all or only does not retract when you turn it off. By the way where do you live just to get an idea of time zone difference.

91,000, got it in 6/09 with only 2,700 on it for $6,300. Live on grapevine in Lebec, CA. Is a commuter for me, 155 miles round trip about three, four days, sometimes five days a week. The battery thing just started happening with change of batteries. Windshield did grind for just a little while and now nothing. Just sits at the retracted position. Okay for summer but winter is almost upon us. Where you at?

Check the battery connections to make sure they are clean(cable ends), and tight?

Is the delay when you first turn the key and this just started happening since the new battery? If so, I'd check with the shop,maybe a bad new battery?

For the windshield motor, may want to post an ad in the Classifieds Wanted to Buy here on the forum. There was one recently that sold for only $45, heck of a buy.
Got a tender on it tonight to see what happens. Think I got a bad battery myself. It's a good shop so can't believe my connections aren't perfect.

My windshield has been out for about six months and there was a motor recently for $45? I'm an idiot for not checking with you guys earlier. I'm going to post that classifieds add right now!!!!!

Will let you know how my battery is after the charge!!!! If that's the problem my so-called good bike shop that services my bike will be getting an earful from me!!!!!

If the windshield was 'grinding', you may have a simple cleaning and lube to do - or you cracked a gear.

Check eBay for parts if you need..

If the winshield was 'grinding', you may have a simple cleaning and lube to do - or you cracked a gear.

Check eBay for parts if you need..

Really? Shouldn't I be getting some kind of noise or something? I push the button and it's completely dead. I'm so desperate now I just told them to order the $700 motor part which of course is non-refundable from Yamaha but the shop does think we can return it if we need do since he knows the western district guy Rocky.

It may not be your battery. It could also be the starter. When the brushes n the starter start to ware they require more AMPs to turn the motor. Mine would go dead then turn over. I rebuilt the starter and has been fine ever since. The windshield thing needs to be looker at. Take the front fairing off and make sure it is not stuck or have something stopping it from moving. Also you should have looked online before you bought the new one. You can usually order one from one of the midwest dealers and save some money. I save $100 on a $270 part. Also call Keith at Libby's in New Haven CT. Tell him you were sent and see if he can get you a better price if you can. 203 772-1112. As for me I live on the east coast in ct. The bike is in PA for the fall and will drive it back before the weather comes.

Dean

I've had good luck with Partshark. PN 5JW-83306-01-00 is a very substantial saving over your dealer's price. I would check those batttery connections. Bought my bike from a dealer who "checked out" the machine. They had disconnected the battery to remove the PCIII and exhaust to install on the PO's new '12 FJR, then decided it either wouldn't work on the '12 or was too big a hassle. I bought the bike and started having problems a few days later with starting and cutting out. I checked the bat connections, positive battery bolt was 2 threads away from falling out. Tightened connections with a dab of Kopr-shield and all is well. Sometimes the dealership's only highly trained staff is the one between their legs.

It may not be your battery. It could also be the starter. When the brushes n the starter start to ware they require more AMPs to turn the motor. Mine would go dead then turn over. I rebuilt the starter and has been fine ever since. The windshield thing needs to be looker at. Take the front fairing off and make sure it is not stuck or have something stopping it from moving. Also you should have looked online before you bought the new one. You can usually order one from one of the midwest dealers and save some money. I save $100 on a $270 part. Also call Keith at Libby's in New Haven CT. Tell him you were sent and see if he can get you a better price if you can. 203 772-1112. As for me I live on the east coast in ct. The bike is in PA for the fall and will drive it back before the weather comes.

Dean
I'll call tomorrow and tell them to not accept the part after I find out how much I'll save. Thanks for the tip. Should have thought of my brother FJR riders in the first place. What was I thinking?

I've had good luck with Partshark. PN 5JW-83306-01-00 is a very substantial saving over your dealer's price. I would check those batttery connections. Bought my bike from a dealer who "checked out" the machine. They had disconnected the battery to remove the PCIII and exhaust to install on the PO's new '12 FJR, then decided it either wouldn't work on the '12 or was too big a hassle. I bought the bike and started having problems a few days later with starting and cutting out. I checked the bat connections, positive battery bolt was 2 threads away from falling out. Tightened connections with a dab of Kopr-shield and all is well. Sometimes the dealership's only highly trained staff is the one between their legs.

I'll check out Partshark in the morning. Should have thought about my brother FJR riders first before I started taking drastic measures. And I definitely would not go to a dealership for nothing. Always have gone to private shops where the owners of the shop work on my bike. I must admit lately, my fault, as I'm going on Saturday when the owner isn't there. Need to go back during the week or leaving it for them to spend the time to get it right. Been taking work with me and waiting for the service. I'm a commercial rider so they give me some priority but by me being in a hurry puts them in a hurry. Like the windshield, for instance, I need to have the front end taken apart completely to really diagnose the problem. Me being in a hurry is why I said go ahead and get the $700 motor as while we got it off want it fixed at the same time. Seeing everybody's comments I'm thinking it might not be the whole motor but would still think I'd get some kind of response and it's just dead.

Yes, we will check those connections in the morning too. It's fully charged on the battery tender and still hesitated and reset.

Love riding my FJR though. I'm an ex-Harley rider. Had a bad accident 5/29/09, landed on my head at 50 mph with a Shoe X11 helmet that didn't even crack. Saved my life. Bought the same helmet. Not sure if brain damage still or knocked some sense into me as I went out and got the FJR. WOW!!!! Guy that sold it to me said would make my arms straight. I've been riding Harleys for at least 30 years and never heard that term. Hit the throttle first day I had it and the bike was two blocks ahead of me and my arms were straight.

My uncle rode with the HAs back in the '60s, the TV series Then Came Bronson was based on his life, Birney Jarvis. Had a credit in the movie. Thinks is Jap riding nephew completely lost it. Told him you ride one once you never go back. Being bent over just a little bit takes the pressure completely off my bad back. Never been more comfortable on a bike. Will be a FJR rider until I faceplant into s suburban, by the way, which I'll have my wife post just for you guys as if I ride anymore I always record. Highly recommend the Sports-Vue 360HD. I should be a rep for them. Best camera, well, really, only camera I've used but heard it blows the GoPro away. Anybody wants to know about the camera just ask away. Any questions about my uncle well, the old fart passed away about four, five months ago, but I'll try to answer those too.

Ride safe and EXTREMELY FAST!!!!