Changed oil and then bike feels like two cylinders working

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Hi,

My 2010 FJR has 12,190 miles. I've done 3 oil changes already using the same oil and filter as before. I've also done many oil changes on other bikes I've had over the years so I'm not an oil change noob.

Anyway, I changed my oil this morning, fired up the bike, and the idle sounded very v-twin like. I stopped the bike, checked for leaks, etc. and nothing seemed amiss. Oil is in the crankcase and the sight window shows at the upper mark. I'm sure that I put oil in the right place, the filter seems non-leaky, the oil pan bolt is not leaking.

I started again and went for a ride figuring it'd clear or I'm just in a weird mood with this bike -- but it felt all wrong. It was weak and again sounded like a v-twin -- Ducati-like. I then wanted to turn around so I downshifted and did the usual throttle blip and then the bike stalled. I started the bike again and got home. I called my local dealer MOMs in Manchester, NH. I ended up dropping it off. It will be perhaps a few days before they get to it but heck, it's useless to me given I don't have a clue where to look and it's under warranty anyway.

Any idea what this might be? I'm very disinclined to think it's due to my oil change. But may be bad filter, bad oil?

I thought plugs weren't due for, ..., crap. I just looked at the maintenance schedule and it says to replace plugs at 8K?

Maybe that's it. Does everyone here change plugs every 8K? it seems so soon. I known, I known, read the manual... :rolleyes:

I think I need something to drink -- sigh.

Dennis

It's not the oil. And it shouldn't be the plugs. Plugs can go bad, but it is rare. I keep the plugs in for 30,000 miles now. From one valve check to the next.

You didn't do anything else besides the oil change where you could have knocked something loose?

Did you buy gas recently? It sounds like you got some bad fuel or maybe even water in the tank. If it's bad fuel it should clear up once you use it up and refill.

It's not the oil. And it shouldn't be the plugs. Plugs can go bad, but it is rare. I keep the plugs in for 30,000 miles now. From one valve check to the next.

You didn't do anything else besides the oil change where you could have knocked something loose?
Also, I have Two Brothers mufflers (not sure this make any difference) but had them probably at least 1000 miles since I last swapped them with OEM mufflers. I suspected something like plugs because the exhaust smell out the back is pretty sweet (like the sweet smell of cosmoline when you first buy/ride the bike). I figured unburned fuel smell, etc.

The only thing I could think of is that when I pulled off the oil filter, it dripped some oil on the inside of the fairing down low and I took a rag and swiped it clean (in the processes, I nudged some rubber hoses down below). I thought they were just breather hoses down there so didn't think anything of it.

Thanks for the info on plugs.

Dennis

Did you buy gas recently? It sounds like you got some bad fuel or maybe even water in the tank. If it's bad fuel it should clear up once you use it up and refill.
In the past week, I rode in the drizzly rain (no downpour) but not sure how I'd get water in the tank -- perhaps just moisture?

I've got about 1/2 tank left but I don't recall getting gas at any place different. This bike's been doing a lot of commuting and there're only a few places I get fuel.

Thanks,

Dennis

Just a few weeks ago I got bad fuel at one of my 'regular' fueling stops. It can happen anywhere, really, depending on how they maintain/fill/check their tanks.

Run some Seafoam thru it to clear up bad fuel, if that's what it is -- sounds feasible. I agree, -- bad fuel is all too common.

I see you are in souther NH but is your bike from there or is it a California model? I ask because mine did the same thing. It was right after an oil change, but I did it outside and from sitting in the sun, the charcoal canister caused it to run exactly as you describe. A week later it wouldn't even start. I removed disabled the canister and it has run flawless ever since.

coil has unlugged/loose wire maybe? but I think that will throw a code
I figured if something was messed up with plugs, there'd be a check engine light and somehow I'd be able to get a code. But all seemed normal with no check engine lights. But that two cylinder sound was all too familiar. I rode a Vstar 1300 (v-twin cruiser) for 4 years so know it well from sound and feel. When I test rode a Ducati 1199 a few years back, that v-twin sound felt out of place on a sport bike so it was something that 'caught' my ear.

The other thing I noticed was that on acceleration, the real-time mpg reading was awfully low. I look at it a lot esp. when I crank it or grandma it. On moderate acceleration I got about 9 mpg which I think is out of wack.

I took my R6 (also an inline 4) out for a nice spin this evening -- that's the inline 4 sound/feel I'm missing. I'm really suspecting plugs on the FJR -- even though I agree they should last a lot longer. Come to think of it, maybe the bad gas thing makes some sense as ignition is only part of a non-firing cylinder (no fuel could be an issue or bad fuel could be an issue too).

Dennis

I see you are in souther NH but is your bike from there or is it a California model? I ask because mine did the same thing. It was right after an oil change, but I did it outside and from sitting in the sun, the charcoal canister caused it to run exactly as you describe. A week later it wouldn't even start. I removed disabled the canister and it has run flawless ever since.
I bought this bike in Southern NH, so no canister -- never opened it up to check though. Looking at the user manual with the canister mentioned, I see that fuel vapor comes from the tank, to the canister, to the "atmosphere" -- the canister's goal being to filter the fuel vapor. With a non-CA model, I'm guessing no canister but a fuel "breather" hose to let fuel vapor out and maybe I clogged that host when oil might've seeped into it.

I've no clue (I mentioned above I nudged a hose or two down there but dont' think I pulled anything) and I'm just "pulling stuff out of my arse" trying to think out of the box, etc.

Shoot, now I'm wishing I'd kept the bike in my garage (instead of sending to the dealer to sit until they get to it) so I could try/look around at some stuff -- esp. Seafoam as I have some in my garage.

On the positive side, I've got a little extra garage space now :) .

Thanks,

Dennis

Definitely unrelated to the oil change. Dropping two cylinders makes it sound like one of the coils quit...or related to the coils.

Coil Assemblies

Good luck with the fix!

--G

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought this bike in Southern NH, so no canister -- never opened it up to check though. Looking at the user manual with the canister mentioned, I see that fuel vapor comes from the tank, to the canister, to the "atmosphere" -- the canister's goal being to filter the fuel vapor. With a non-CA model, I'm guessing no canister but a fuel "breather" hose to let fuel vapor out and maybe I clogged that host when oil might've seeped into it.

I've no clue (I mentioned above I nudged a hose or two down there but dont' think I pulled anything) and I'm just "pulling stuff out of my arse" trying to think out of the box, etc.

Shoot, now I'm wishing I'd kept the bike in my garage (instead of sending to the dealer to sit until they get to it) so I could try/look around at some stuff -- esp. Seafoam as I have some in my garage.

On the positive side, I've got a little extra garage space now :) .

Thanks,

Dennis

Definitely not the canister then. The canister vents the fuel vapors back into the number 1 and 4 throttle bodies making them run too rich and flooding them. Models with no canister just vent out the bottom. I hope you get it fixed soon, I know it can be frustrating.

The sight glass is full w engine running? How much oil did you put in? I seem to remember the oil level drops w engine running..?

Jerry Springer is starting to express an interest in this place.. Fuk, I wonder why????? :dribble:

Me front tire had 41 psi at noon when it was 50 I drove like a jackass for 12 minutes on both curves outa town an I'll be fuked............ the front tire pressure hit 43 psi..

clues anyone?

Last edited by a moderator: