Changing Headlamps

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Next time, get yourself a length of hose that will fit in through the hole the lamp mounts to. Duct tape it securely to the end of your shop vac hose, and suck those pieces of glass out of there.

Where the hell were ya afore ol 'nut done busted stuff up Geezer? Guys like you are why this place gets the bad rap :lol:

:jester:

Next time, get yourself a length of hose that will fit in through the hole the lamp mounts to. Duct tape it securely to the end of your shop vac hose, and suck those pieces of glass out of there.
And maybe fish out what's left with a piece of wire attached to some tape with the adhesive side out to stick to the bits the vacuum couldn't get.That cracked upper triple tree clamp is downright scary!

Hope you're back up soon!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sigh... were it that easy I would have done so. Alas, a lot of that glass wedged under the black plastic shelf and the vac simply had no effect. Rapping and shaking was my only recourse.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rapping and shaking was my only recourse.
A

[SIZE=12pt]Ya think!!![/SIZE]

I have this mind-picture of TWN in the garage....the boombox is turned up loud with the requisite, "Boom-puh-puh-boom...eeh-eeh-hee-hee-eeh..Your mother is a Ho..." music playing. TWN holding the headlamp assembly and "dancing"(?) around the garage...

EEW!!!

[SIZE=8pt]It's your thang...what'cha gonna do....?[/SIZE]

So, you burn a headlamp and need to replace it, right? Well, Forum wisdom says that as soon as one burns out, the second is soon to follow, so change both.
Yeah, right. :glare:

Following is my tutorial of how to change the bulbs. I'll start by suggesting the appropriate tools: Your hands should be all that you need, however, I've added some others, including the liberal use of excerpts from my new book, Wrenching, Cussing and You (Random House, with preface by Mrs. Nut).

First, just go ahead and strip the front end off, cuz as soon as your release the spring retainer on the right headlamp, it will slap back causing the bulb to shatter into a bazillion pieces inside the sealed nacelle. Here, I would suggest a selection from chapter seven of my new book, wherein one spurts The King's Proclamation preceded by a maternal reference. Repeat several times to induce the proper rise of blood pressure. If there is a convenient, undecorated wall nearby, punch it. Immediately following the punch, flip to chapter 2 of my book and choose any of the 38 suggestions. Apply BandAids to the bloody knuckles and apologize to your neighbor for sending their kitty back over the fence via your boot.

Here, you can see what the front end will look like after stripping the bodywork.

IMG_1091.jpg

Oh, goody! Look at all of the sparkley bits of glass! This should be so fun to remedy!

IMG_1087.jpg

Quick! Flip to chapter 12! You're gonna need it next! Can anyone guess what this is? Hint: It's made of the finest snake shit on Earth!

IMG_1090.jpg

Give up? Here's another clue...

IMG_1092.jpg

Still can't figure it out? Here, lemme help...

IMG_1093.jpg

For those of you who are reading challenged, let me sum up this whole evening consumed by the original task of merely changing the headlamps:

IMG_1094.jpg

I'll be signing my book at NAFO.
darkevil.gif

I would be so madddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd.

How long did the whole job take?

Not long. Maybe 30 minutes to pull the front end off - of course, I have had a bit of practice.

The good news is that the snapped arm if covered by YES. Should be here Wednesday if it was in stock at Yamaha.

Funny, I did the same thing when taking all the tupperware off me scoot. Left side, too. Don't remember what I paid for it but, I don't feel sorry for ya one bit. My response was a bit different, though....went something like..."goddamnit, motherfucken fuck piece of shit fucking.....fuck!".

Was probably still under the meds the ol' docs had me on after the crash. Little reminder to you folks out there.....don't perform maintenance on a scoot when you have two broken bones in yer right hand.