Charging battery from a powerlet

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A battery tender works great through one of these connections. I use it all the time. Now, if you're talking about a high-amperage charger, that might be more than the traffic will bear.

Hey guys,

On a side note to this. I have the Powerlet heated jacket liner. Thus, the hard wired jacket plug harness right to the battery. Has anyone here found/used a plug that fits into the jacket plug portion to the bike for a trickle charger?

WW

Can someone post a part number for the plug and a wiring diagram? I would greatly appreciate it. I have a battery tender so I would like to make a cable for mine.

Can someone post a part number for the plug and a wiring diagram? I would greatly appreciate it. I have a battery tender so I would like to make a cable for mine.
Keith,

I have a powerlet jack installed in the "D" panel that is wired right to the battery. I bought a short (6") adapter cable that goes from Powerlet to SAE. Like this one .

I just leave the adapter cable plugged into the bike all winter and plug and unplug the battery tender to the SAE plug. I also have a tire pump that has an SAE power cord, that goes to the adapter if I need to use it on the road. Oh, and my electronic tank bag, (which has a 3 port female cigarette lighter adapter inside that powers my Starcom1 intercom, Garmin GPS and charges my cell phone or MP3 player with standard car adapters) that is set-up with an SAE connection.

So I get a lot of use out of that one adapter cable... ;)

Here's a URL for the powerlet plug with SAE cable. Assuming your battery charger has an SAE connector, you can buy the powerlet cable in various lengths, depending on how close the charger is to the bike. There are also SAE extension cables available. I have the PAC-008.

https://www.powerletproducts.com/product/po...duty-cables/317

Here's a URL for powerlet socket kits. Scroll down to "Multifit Powerlet Panel Kit." They come with different wiring lengths depending on where on the bike you want to install it. I too mounted mine into the D panel, using a dremel to cut a hole. Mine connects directly to the battery and thus is unswitched, something I need always keep in mind if I'm using the compressor, because these batteries don't have a lot of reserve power.

https://www.powerletproducts.com/shop-by-product

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a pegboard on the left wall of my garage. On the pegboard is a BT+. I also have a rear (clutch-side) powerlett installed on the bike. When I park at night, I pull into the garage, against the left wall, lower the side stand, dismount, reach over for the Battery Tender Plus' connector, plug it into the bike and then into the wall outlet below. Viola!

Been doing this for about 4+ years and it still works great.

Last edited by a moderator:
What's the advantage of using a battery tender if you ride every day? I've never used one and have ridden my last 3 bikes about 140,000 miles with no problem.

What's the advantage of using a battery tender if you ride every day? I've never used one and have ridden my last 3 bikes about 140,000 miles with no problem.
After you ride your bike on snow and ice for x months we'll let you answer this question... :lol:

:assassin:

After you ride your bike on snow and ice for x months we'll let you answer this question... :lol:

:assassin:

I understand that you'd need one if the bike was stored unused, but is there some advantage to hooking up to one if the bike is used relatively continuously (like in a mild winter climate)?

I understand that you'd need one if the bike was stored unused, but is there some advantage to hooking up to one if the bike is used relatively continuously (like in a mild winter climate)?
Wheaton just thought you were being another (in a long list of) Kalifornya smart asses.

The answer to your question is: no. If you ride every day there is no real use of a Battery tender.