Cheap Mods

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captaincautious

Reaction score
Here are a couple of cheap mods I have done recently. One was a idea my friend gave me that he picked up off the goldwing forum. You take a honda goldwing radio knob; $8.00 and a key $3.00 and cut key and insert and glue with gorilla glue into the knob. Key has to be cut so it can't start bike and just makes it easier when not in a security mode to open and close bags. The other was some 6 inch leds with an adhesive backing which we wired into front turn signal lights, which I got off ebay for around $8.00 each.

photo2_zps25433ec5.jpg

securedownload1_zps1463b972.jpg

securedownload3_zps800c2f11.jpg

securedownload_zps23a096d6.jpg

securedownload2_zpsd527b329.jpg

I lighted my glove box with similar LED strips but never thought of using them for this application. I like it.
smile.png

Captain,

Those LEDs are awesome. Thinking of this mod for my 05. How about a writeup?

AA

+1 on the request for a write up. Did you install any type of plugs on the wiring ends to make removal of front end plastics easier? Or did you hardwire? Would like to see night time pictures if possible to get a better idea of how they look to other traffic at night. Not complaining mind you, just trying to detrmine if I want to copy.

Ok, this might be a dumb questions, but it looks like you put the LEDs _inside_ the main light unit, right? Or are those LEDs on top of the exterior plastic cover for the headlights?

Or are those LEDs on top of the exterior plastic cover for the headlights?
A couple other folks have added the LED strips. They were added via the double-backed tape to the exterior plastic...you really don't want to break into the headlight assembly.

--G

Thanks for the compliments! I must confess that my friends 2013 motivated me to see if I could find some. I found those on ebay under motorcycle leds. The store name was Nyte Riderz Led Shop. You can get a pair for $13.99. They could almost be advertised to fit the FJR specifically because they fit so well on the inner black plastic exterior edge beside the headlight.. There is some venting there but it doesn't block it. If you feel with your finger you will feel a narrow flat smooth edge that they will adhere to perfectly. The ones I purchased have 6 led lights per strip with a 3m stick-on backing and I hard wired them into the running lights on side fairings and fed the wires from the leds through the venting hole adjacent to it. The hardest part was removing the side fairings to access the plugins to the running lights. They have been on there for several months and have not shown any inclination to come loose.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any chance you could take a pic of the led's without them on so we can see how they are installed in there?

Oh yea, and on the key thing....someone here showed me that and gave me some old radio knobs to use. I just haven't gotten around to getting the copies of the keys made.

Radio Shack may still sell a bag of knobs for cheap.Several sizes and styles..I used them on lots of homemade radio equipment..

Last edited by a moderator: