Civil Rest

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fantastic read. That you take the time from your ride to stop and set some of those shots up is really appreciated. I seem to read your reports a little slower for some reason.
smile.png

And if we're taking a poll, I would go with Corinthian.

columns1338833371172.jpg

Bounce - I'm re-thinking it again (I do this incessively). Perhaps Ionic. Admittedly, my knowledge in all things liberal arts, while interesting to me, is VERY little.
I think BO nailed it. That distinction tends to bug me since I know I missed it on a test.
wink.png

Great ride report and photos. I've been there as part of a National Parks Tour and rode through the park instead of just hitting and running. It made it more fun. I think I rode it backwards because I saw the Union locations first then the Confederate. It really is amazing what the Confederate troops had to do to try and take the higher ground the Union positions held. Hey Diddle Diddle and into the withering fire of the entrenched "aggressors".

Last edited by a moderator:
According to Wikipedia, Windsor has Corinthian tops to its fluted columns. I make no judgment concerning the accuracy of Wikipedia.

Regardless, this was a refreshing and enjoyable RR. I am glad that 'Pants has found riding partners and friends who enjoy tent camping and motorcycle riding as much as he does. I enjoy the bike as much and could possibly enjoy the tent, but I don't have the time. I particularly like the idea of open fire cooking as well as the neat little stoves and things. Of course I would NEED!!! a double sink, a dishwasher, granite countertops, hot water... Never mind, the tent thing might not be for me.

Really a wonderful report. Many thanks!

Got me to remembering a ride I did almost three years ago. Heading to conference in New Orleans, I rode my 2009 Moto Guzzi Griso down to Dahlonega to trade it in...

7040773347_2252c867ed_b.jpg

...on a 2012 Norge:

7040777445_1bd50f3e70_b.jpg

(long story--that bike was my reason for pulling the trigger last year on my 2014 ES. Anywho...)

I rode then to NOLA for the conference. Afterwards, a good pal, Donna Spencer from Australia who attends the same conference), rented a bike from EagleRiders. Sadly, the only choice was a Sportster. Still, it was a way for her to ride in the States.

I took a scenic route due west of Dahlonega, stopping at Amicola Falls, then heading through Rome, on across Alabama, and overnighting in Mississippi. The next day I rode down to the coast, stopping in Waveland, MS, to see the site of my grandparents house on Nicholson Ave. Not much left post-Katrina:

7040787355_b35b1c8083_b.jpg

After Donna & I did the conference and picked up her bike, we rode across Lake Ponchatrain and through LA into MS. We overnighted across the river from where you took that shot of the Misssissippi--here's the view from the other side:

7040795487_66543fd9ab_b.jpg

It was neat starting the Trace at its beginning. We also stopped at Emerald Mound:

We also ate in Vicksburg, though close to the river:

6894713238_d904e3d4c4_b.jpg

While we also stopped at the Vicksburg visitor's center, Donna didn't have so much of an interest in touring through the park (and it was a HOT day!). So we jumped on some great back roads, then did a little blues tourism:

6894715070_78f0669f54_b.jpg

Again, thanks for your report--I can't wait to ride back there on the FJR next time!

More photos here, if you wanna see the whole story ;)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mojohand/sets/72157629728433093/

Well then it's settled - Corinthian it is. 3rd guess was the charm...
smile.png

M/G - looks like you overlapped quite a bit of the same places I did. Great minds think alike. I read a few of thost "Blues" signs. That would make a nice idea for a trip too.

Well then it's settled - Corinthian it is. 3rd guess was the charm...
smile.png

M/G - looks like you overlapped quite a bit of the same places I did. Great minds think alike. I read a few of thost "Blues" signs. That would make a nice idea for a trip too.
Two great Ride Reports both with fantastic pics, Thanks Guys!

M/G: If you ever come across a Falcone 500 for sale, PM me!

I have also covered some of the same stops u made Mr. pants.

Have you ever stopped at Rodney MS. ?

Great RR...Thanks.

I really enjoyed both trip reports. The pictures and narrations were great. Redfish does a great job also, but at this time seems more concerned with making money for the wife.
punk.gif
rolleyes.gif
As I have stated before, I have never been east of Western Arkansas, so the pictures mean a lot to me.

As usual Pants, awesome report! You keep raising the bar on yourself my friend! Not to mention, you're just getting me more and more fired up for the upcoming Dixie Shunpikin' ride in late May with my good friend, FJRBritBob. We'll be making our way through Natchez and Vicksburg on our way from the Rush concert in NOLA - headed to the Ozarks for a few days. Good times lie ahead for sure!

A Rush concert in NOLA, then Natchez/Vicksburg in route to the Ozarks. Are you kidding me? Now THAT's the makings for a GREAT ride report.

Edit: Jer - we did not ride through Rodney, MS. I googled it and I'm kind of disappointed I missed it. Next time.

Last edited by a moderator:
A Rush concert in NOLA, then Natchez/Vicksburg in route to the Ozarks. Are you kidding me? Now THAT's the makings for a GREAT ride report.
After reading Neal Peart's book, "Ghost Rider", even I could be tempted by a Rush concert. It would be difficult to find anyone more competent at "hitting things with a stick".

Great job! I lived in Jackson as a child and made several trips to Vicksburg battlefield. It's a humbling thing to walk around and try to picture that time.

Thanks for the RR. I was hoping to do the Trace this year but looks like you've done such a good job reporting I feel like I did it already. Wonder which direction I should ride now?

After reading Neal Peart's book, "Ghost Rider", even I could be tempted by a Rush concert. It would be difficult to find anyone more competent at "hitting things with a stick".
Looks like this'll probably be their last, according to the Toronto Star.