Clean Cycle Products

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never use dishwashing liquid. (valid reasons mentioned above)

Use any automotive car wash or bike cleaner.

A clay bar will remove imbedded sediment and bug juice easily and leave a really smooth finish to apply your favorite wax onto.

Use a garden hose, hand dry then blow out excess water with a leaf blower.
+1. Ah yes, the mighty clay bar. If you have never used a clay bar, it is THE key to getting all the contaminates off that washing and waxing by themselves cannot.

Meant to add. To remove tar spots and stubborn greasy dirt, I use one or other (or occasionally both) of these guys.

(Click on image for larger view)

Just soak the offending dirt in WD40 or 3-in-1 for a few minutes, that will usually allow whatever it was to be wiped off.

Yamaha makes an excellent detailer in aerosol can that is for me the finest tool in my cleaning kit. I use a microfiber towel, it can clean the entire bike without needing water, leaves a wax behind that is at least as good as an expensive paste and goes on and off quickly. It is really a spray on and wipe back off deal and the results are excellent. I never use a paste wax on either of the bikes anymore, only this stuff. It smells really nice as well.

It's not the first time I've turned to the California Scientific (CalSci) website for moto information that's not just about windscreens. Mark's site is a fountainhead of helpful information, including the following: (and by the way, if it's good for the plastic windscreens, it's good for the other plastic too.)

Cleaning your Windshield We make our own cleaning fluid. When you buy a windshield from us, we give you a small spray bottle of cleaning fluid and a micro-fiber cleaning towel. Here's our "secret" washing fluid recipe, the result of testing about 25 different formulas:

Makes 1 quart = 1 liter windshield washing fluid

• 1/2 cup = 100ml ammonia (double this if you have a lot of bugs)
  • 2 cups = 400ml isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol
  • 1.5 tsp = 8ml car wash detergent (don't substitute dish soap or laundry detergent) (note: emphasis added)
  • 2 cups = 500ml water
We recommend using only micro-fiber cleaning towels on your windshield.

If you don't want to play home chemist, go to WalMart and buy a gallon of Peak Windshield Cleaner (blue), about $1, and a gallon of Peak Bug Remover / RainX (green), about $1.50. Mix them 50-50 and use that on your motorcycle and in your car.
I read this on their web site also. I thought you were never supposed to use Ammonia on bike windshields?

Spray on S100, wait 15 min and then rinse. Done deal. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts