Cleaning 2013 FJR unpainted surfaces

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluedog

Reaction score
Does anyone else on here have a problem with wax/road grime or some other gray/white streaks on all of my dash panels and on the front side fairings. Somewhere along the line this summer my bike developed this white streaks that I can't seem to remove. I don't recall waxing these panels and these streaks don't want to go away. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

sounds like something you used to clean the bike disagrees with the plastic. I know that brake cleaner fluid and some lubricant sprays make it stained. I had one stain from some spray lithium grease, and used Silkolene Pro Prep spray..it got rid of about 99% of the stain, its barely noticeable now.
noimagetitle.jpg

Give it a good washing with [whatever you like], dry it, and use Lemon Pledge - just like the rest of the bike.

Are you using a Nelson Rigg half cover from about 5 years ago? They had a batch that would leave white sorta like paint marks on the fairings that was quite difficult to remove. Pictures??

Hey Brett...

You can use that Pledge on your beard... it'll make it stand straight out.

Careful careful what products ya use on that new 13. Some backyard remedies might not work so well including mine: A great product I've used for a number of surfaces is Zep heavy duty Citrus degreaser (Home Depot/Lowes) It removes just about everything and is pretty friendly to most plastics. However, using it on your bike would be an experiment. Unlike painted surfaces, you can't polish your problems away if a product dulls or discolors.

Gary

I use: 'No Touch Tire Cleaner' on all non-painted polymer/fiber surfaces on my cars, and motorcycles/wife's Aprillia Scarabeo skooter. So far, it has NO effect on painted surfaces, just wipe any inadvertent over-spray off. The stuff can be sprayed on a clean rag, and then applied to surfaces as well. Let it sit a while, then wipe off, or re-apply a bit & wipe off. CAUTION: If the surface is a true 'flat' finish, it may be a bit brighter when done.

I'm not a fan of the matte-finished side panels of the Gen III bikes, has anyone had them painted or clear-coated?

What about Armor All? I use that on all my black plastic stuff and it looks pretty good.

Looks like tomorrow is a day of rain so I will try some of the above suggestions. I have never waxed matte finishes and this just appeared on about 50% of all these surfaces. I was just curious is anyone else had this problem. Thanks. I'm sure over 9k this summer something got on there that does not agree with this slightly porous surface.

Despite it's lemon-fresh scent, I try not to use Pledge on my beard. But...

Those black surfaces do have a tendency to get dull and a bit 'chalky' looking. There are LOTS of 'automotive' products that will work, and the one thing they seem to have in common is a higher price.

Lemon Pledge has at least two advantages:

1) it's relatively cheap - a three-pack of large cans at Costco costs less that a single small container of, say, ArmorAll.

2) it's versatile for use nearly everywhere around the house & garage, on nearly every surface.

You know it has to be good when thousands of grumpy old men on Goldwings agree.

Have fun today!

Last edited by a moderator:
Not a fan of Armoral or anything wax on matte finishes. Aerospace 303 is good, blocks UV, not glossy, not slippery. If the white marks are from UV damage, you can use several products, Mother's Back to Black will restore milky plastic.

BlueDog,

I have a 2013 and waxed the matt finish parts before I read not to in the manual. The first time I rode in the rain the parts turned white and looked

like crap. Don't fret, it is not ruined.

I used Rustoleum Wax and Tar remover to remove the old wax. You can get a bottle at Walmart in the auto paint aisle. It took a couple of applications and some scrubbing, but it did take it off.

I now only use Captain Richards BOM Polish on everything on the bike from windscreen to chrome, paint, and the matt finish parts. It works on all

parts of the bike with no issue.

Good luck!

Oh, you can use stuff like Armoral, but when it gets wet the white will come back again......yeah I tried that route first.
no.gif

Plexus or 303 should do it. It's pricy but it works and you won't need to use much. I buy a can of Plexus about once a year....$22.00......TD