Close Call! No oil in shaft drive.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As noted above, the engine oil pan drain bolt and differential bolt are interchangeable. When I change differential fluid - every other oil change - I swap the bolts, thus running the magnet in the engine oil for awhile, then in the differential. Just like to see what accumulates in either location.

As noted above, the engine oil pan drain bolt and differential bolt are interchangeable. When I change differential fluid - every other oil change - I swap the bolts, thus running the magnet in the engine oil for awhile, then in the differential. Just like to see what accumulates in either location.
Yeah I just bought a rear drive bolt for the oil pan and keep it in there.

I don't see the pumpkin plug or the oil drain plug coming loose if well tightened or torqued correctly. I can however see it happening to me if I get distracted while changing oils and not paying attention. Be careful folks. Not a bad idea to double check everthing after you are finished.

GP

Change the oil ride for about two tanks and rechange oil again .They are are really tough rear drives do not worry too much.
I did exactly that. Oil came out a very sick dark green colour. Ran it through a coffee filter but there was no sediment large enough for it to catch :yes2: . Tossed the oil and threw in some knew stuff and checked the plug at every fill-up! LOL.

I don't see the pumpkin plug or the oil drain plug coming loose if well tightened or torqued correctly. I can however see it happening to me if I get distracted while changing oils and not paying attention. Be careful folks. Not a bad idea to double check everthing after you are finished.

GP
I lost sleep contemplating this but on this rare occasion, my memory is vivid - I tightened this bolt some good. How it came off will baffle me for a long time. Perhaps the crush washer gave an erroneous feeling of being tight.

Think I will order another bolt for the oil pan and ride with a spare from now on.

GP
I lost sleep contemplating this but on this rare occasion, my memory is vivid - I tightened this bolt some good. How it came off will baffle me for a long time. Perhaps the crush washer gave an erroneous feeling of being tight.

Think I will order another bolt for the oil pan and ride with a spare from now on.
There are those that don't agree but I always use blue loctite on drain plugs. on my own and customers.

GP

How drain plugs just "fall out" are just a mystery to me. There is a reason, but we just don't know what caused it. And the only rational reason has to be under tighening. I know you said you vividly remember tighening properly. Crush washers crush so easily, I can't see how that could have not crushed properly if you torqued the drain plug anywhere near properly.

The main reason I say this, is that in 45 years of riding/driving cars, motorcycles, motorhomes and anything else that has a drain plug and always changing engine oil/rearend oil, transmission oil myself God knows how many times, and not ONCE every buying a new crush washer, I have never had a drain bolt work loose. I rented a car once and the engine oil drain plug fell out while driving down the road, but that is another story. Just sayin. Sometimes what you think you see or remember just ain't so. It happens all the time to me, usually after excessive alcohol consumption, but not always. I suffer from selective hearing too, but I think that is a common disease in all men with wives. Just ask my wife, she will confirm it all.

Last edited by a moderator: