clutch sticks

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dean33

Reaction score
i justed changed the oil on my 07. should have soaked the plates. can i take the clutch apart now without draining the oil. :dribble:do you think all the oil drains from the clutch disks. does all the oil fit in the oil pan.

Last edited by a moderator:
i justed changed the oil on my 07. should have soaked the plates.
Huh??? :unsure: IF your clutch is sticking, why didn't you do the mechanical work before changing the oil? :unknw: :headbonk:
can i take the clutch apart now without draining the oil. :dribble:
You should be able to do so, at least with minimal oil loss. Personally, I hate pulling a cover off the bike without changing the oil afterward...just in case some foriegn "stuff" is introduced to the oil pan. YMMV.
When you signed up on the forum there were instructional threads about HOW to search the forum for information specific to any questions you have. Google is ONE resource...Try it, you might like it! Here are some links from our friends at Google (With "how" I typed the question), for your reading pleasure:

clutch site:fjrforum.com

07 clutch issues site:fjrforum.com

Clutch not disengaging site:fjrforum.com

Clicky for link about the clutch change.

Last edited by a moderator:
i justed changed the oil on my 07. should have soaked the plates. can i take the clutch apart now without draining the oil. :dribble:do you think all the oil drains from the clutch disks. does all the oil fit in the oil pan.

didnt think that was such a bad question, but i got my answere today. having never taken a clutch apart before I wasnt sure what to expect. didnt want to make a big mess. When you take the cover off no oil comes out.no mess. most of my clutch was stuck together. cleaned and soaking, will put together tomorrow.

dean

If someone felt the urge to soak the clutch plates why not just add enough extra oil to get the level up enough to submerge the clutch. Not to say you would run it that way, just to "soak" the clutch if it seems necessary. Drain the extra out before starting. No need to dissassemble this way.

If someone felt the urge to soak the clutch plates why not just add enough extra oil to get the level up enough to submerge the clutch. Not to say you would run it that way, just to "soak" the clutch if it seems necessary. Drain the extra out before starting. No need to dissassemble this way.
Ahem, seems you have missed a point or two ole friend. The friction discs are sticking because of that black goo....the grease they were coated with at the factory (instead of an oil coating). The clutch pack has to come apart for a thorough cleaning first, then bathe the fibre discs in oil before reassembly. What you are preposing dosen`t make sense. But, then again, you work for G.M. don`t you? :blink:

they really had to be pryed apart.i dont think that the oil was ever going to get into those plates. ill reply on how it works when i put it together tonight. Dean

Ahem, seems you have missed a point or two ole friend. The friction discs are sticking because of that black goo....the grease they were coated with at the factory (instead of an oil coating). The clutch pack has to come apart for a thorough cleaning first, then bathe the fibre discs in oil before reassembly. What you are preposing dosen`t make sense. But, then again, you work for G.M. don`t you? :blink:

OUCH. That's what I get for trying to be helpful. LOL. I didn't mean to imply that it would cure all clutch problems but if soaking the plates was the only goal then it should suffice. But then again......my clutch works pefectly.......so why do I care???? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

BTW shuswaper......... speaking of "not making sense." I was PROPOSING that one could soak the clutch by overfilling the crankcase....NOT PREPOSING it..... :p

OUCH. That's what I get for trying to be helpful. LOL. I didn't mean to imply that it would cure all clutch problems but if soaking the plates was the only goal then it should suffice. But then again......my clutch works pefectly.......so why do I care???? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

BTW shuswaper......... speaking of "not making sense." I was PROPOSING that one could soak the clutch by overfilling the crankcase....NOT PREPOSING it..... :p
:unsure: Guilty as charged... Sharp eye there Jestal...cheers.

put it back together. it works now better than it ever did, will even start in gear without taking me for a ride. im very pleased and feel safer now. thankyou all, Dean