CO2 Settings on a 2008 all at 10?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greenzilla

Reaction score
Just did the Barbarian CO2 mod on my 2008 - when going through all the cylinders every single one was set to 10 from the factory - knowing that most people are reporting different numbers for each cylinder from what I can see, is it possible 10 is the default setting and my bike did not have the CO2 settings properly done from the factory? I checked everything twice, and yes the cylinder number was changing as I advanced through the menu. I went ahead and set each cylinder plus 7 (which since they were all the same they are all now at 17) - just seems really odd that ALL the cylinders would need the exact same number - either this bike has the tightest tolerances ever, or something is not quite right. Would it be worth it to have it checked out? Bike has a lot more vibration than my 05 had, and I have the same off idle issues everyone else talks about, but it doesn't seem that different.

Yes, this has been documented. 2008's have new ECUs, so the feeling is that the base map has already got the cylinder to cylinder balancing built in. They all come with straight 10's.

By the way, it's CO (Carbon Monoxide) that you adjust the exhaust gas for, not CO2 (Carbon Dioxide).

Last edited by a moderator:
Base line question - after increasing the CO levels by 7, how does the bike run compared to when they were at 10?

Base line question - after increasing the CO levels by 7, how does the bike run compared to when they were at 10?
I haven't had it out since I changed it, but plan on changing that with a long ride today. I also had the 900 rpm idle setting, so since I also adjusted that I will not be sure which (if either) is helping out. I did notice that it was marginally better flicking the throttle from idle with just the CO setting changes - used to almost die if I quickly gave it throttle when at idle - I actually hated riding the bike at EOM in the corners at first since if I dropped the throttle back to idle and then reapplied in the corner, the bucking from the engine as it came back to life completely upset the chasis. Started slowing corner entry way down and keeping it in a much higher gear in order to not have to back off completely on the throttle (probably better riding technique anyway) to avoid it. With the lack of curves in florida, not sure if I'll really be able to test that aspect of it unless I find a good on-ramp somewhere.

if this fails to cure the off idle issue I'll be adding a PCIII to cure it.