Cold weather rider

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FargoFeej

Reaction score
Driving to work in Fargo, ND, this morning. Temp -2F (-19C).

WOW!

I see a rider on a cycle with a low green sidecar, fully geared up of course.

I've not seen this bike in town before so he may be is doing a crosscountry ride.

Man, it must take some prep of gear and bike to do this.

I honked my cage's horn and gave a thumbs up, but he didn't look my way.

Neck frozen I suspect.

I've had a few chilly rides to work but that guy's got me beat by at least 20 degrees F.; and I always thought I was tough (I yield to the master). :cold:

WOW!

I've not seen this bike in town before so he may be is doing a crosscountry ride.

Most likely one of these. Lots of guys use them in the winter, they have a locking drive shaft of sorts for the sidecar wheel

Ural

WOW!

I honked my cage's horn and gave a thumbs up, but he didn't look my way.

Neck frozen I suspect.
Yeah, I suspect his neck was indeed frozen! I'm waiting until it warms up to freezing before I take off today (for a pleasure ride).

"M70 is based on the Retro model. It is painted in olive drab, the sidecar has a machine gun mount and its tonneau cover is made of canvas similar to the one used on the M72. Just like the M72 it also includes a spare wheel and shovel. The tear drop gas tank is decorated with a replica of the first factory badge (circa 1956). The motorcycle features a tractor style seat and luggage rack on the rear fender. Each anniversary M70 also comes with a special commemorative plaque.

While M70 keeps the aesthetics of the original M72, it is also an extraordinary road going sidecar motorcycle. The M70 comes equipped with 18" aluminum rims, 40 mm Marzochhi telescopic forks, Sachs shocks, Brembo front disc brake, and other modern features. A longer wheel base and lower sitting sidecar make this model the fastest and best handling Ural. "

Actually, if he was running full electrics, he may have been quite comfy. It has a 770W alternator so he should be able to do that

Last edited by a moderator:
Most likely one of these. Lots of guys use them in the winter, they have a locking drive shaft of sorts for the sidecar wheel
Ural
Thie bike looked like the Ural but the "sidecar" looked like a box about 18 inches in height and of the width of the axle, painted a darker green.

Perhaps it's a homemade unit or optional way to do it?

My younger brother, a V-Star rider in Minneapolis MN, spotted a Ural rider yesterday afternoon. Temp was 2F, but had been -15F that morning. Good grief these guys are hardcore.

I'm looking at a Ural to replace my Jeep that my wife sold when I left for Iraq.
I've heard they are really cool. Seen a few write ups on guys that ride year round in snow because the two rear wheels both drive. Good stators that will run heated gear and whatever you and need. I bet you'd have a blast.