Comagination D115H4 Headlight modulator

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlie

Reaction score
My Comagination headlight modulator stopped modulating recently. I sent an email to them asking for information how to diagnose the problem. After about a week I have not heard from them. Are they out of business or just have poor customer service? My unit is 3 years old, but with only about 2,000 miles on it. Has any one else had this problem and if so what was your solution? I have checked the wiring connections and all seem to be in order. My guess is the relay and failed. Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to provide.

Be sure light sensor can see daylight and both bulbs are in good working condition (high and low beams work). Since a modulator can fail due to a light sensor, or the flasher, it's hard to know what kind of failure you have. What happens when you put the bike in high-beam in daylight? Which model flasher do you have?

As far as I can tell the company is still selling these. LINK If it has stopped working, you may be S.O.L. anyway with a 3-year old unit.

Be sure light sensor can see daylight and both bulbs are in good working condition (high and low beams work). Since a modulator can fail due to a light sensor, or the flasher, it's hard to know what kind of failure you have. What happens when you put the bike in high-beam in daylight? Which model flasher do you have?

As far as I can tell the company is still selling these. LINK If it has stopped working, you may be S.O.L. anyway with a 3-year old unit.

Thanks for your input. My flasher is a high beam unit. The headlights all work on hi and low beam and the daylight sensor is where it has always been and is well exposed to daylight.

It is possible that the photocell wiring has gone bad, perhaps rubbing on something frayed the insulation and it shorted out . . . I also came the Comagination. I had mine go bad for a while, then my S4 spider gave out for the second time - it would seem that the unit was somehow providing a ground return (bike would run only in high beam) for some reason and I figured that it blew out because of reverse current flow through the unit. Then, after a while it started working again. Go figure.

Of course your unit may simply have failed altogether for some reason. I suggest you send a note to Comagination. You never know, they may just step up with a no charge replacement.

I installed mine in 2006 and it failed without any warning in June 2014. I had it on the high beams and both simply stopped working. I emailed the company for some troubleshooting help but it never responded.

I was surprised by the failure because by federal law these modulators have to fail in the "lights on solid" mode. These don't.

Between the lack of response to my email and the unlawful mode of product failure it is reasonable to conclude that Comagination is not a responsible company. Caveat emptor.

Ken C

-------------------------

49 CFR sec. 108, standard S7.9.4.1(e): "Means shall be provided so that both the lower beam and upper beam remain operable in the event of a modulator failure."