Concours or FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For the benefit of the FJR folk, the Concours 1400 DOES have heated grips starting with the 2010 model.

There. Is it all of us or only me who feels better? 😊

The Concours may give you a small edge in power.  In every way I can think of, the FJR has it beat.  Fit and finish, maintenance interval (valves), ease of maintenance, reliability, longevity, and appearance (IMHO).
^THIS^ 'n the fact the FJR goes farther on a tank of gas.  Win, win, win fer me.

I had an '03 FJR and then went to the dark side (too much heat on the '03) and got a '10 C14 (first year of its major design change that still remains today).  Then went back to a '13 FJR and then to a '16 FJR.  I agree with everything that has been said here--go for a Gen 3 FJR, no comparison (I too will never buy another bike without cruise control).  BTW, you will be seeing a significant part of the side cases in your mirrors on the C14--they sit very high. 

Like was posted above, in our opinion there isn't much to compare but if you ask the same question on the Concours forum you will get their opinion.
I'm with Ray on this one.

...so the FJR is the one to get.  Done! ;)

From what I can tell, the Concours outsold the FJR's about 4-1
But, I'm interested in how you came up with this detail.  What's your source?  I've tried to keep track of FJR production and Yamaha (if not also Kawi) don't share these numbers with the public.

I came up with the sales comparison by my subjective analysis of the number of C-14's for sale vs. FJR's.  There are more Concours for sale on CycleTrader than FJR's.  Either no one sells their FJR's or there are more C-14's out there.  

I came up with the sales comparison by my subjective analysis of the number of C-14's for sale vs. FJR's.  There are more Concours for sale on CycleTrader than FJR's.  Either no one sells their FJR's or there are more C-14's out there.  
The former, I suspect - lots of people keep FJRs for well over 100,000 miles (I sold my '07 a couple years ago with 185,000 mi. and it is still on the road).  That or the C14's that are for sale don't sell as quickly so stay on the listings longer.  FJR is, without a doubt, an easier bike to sell and a large number sell without making it to Craigslist or CycleTrader. 

I see far more FJR's on the road than C-14's.  Can't tell you if it is because more are sold (in my area), they last longer or owners simply ride them more.

There are more Concours for sale on CycleTrader than FJR's.  Either no one sells their FJR's.  
That's probably more likely.  And sales of used doesn't necessarily correlate to production.   I don't think anybody has the actual production numbers....and as keeper of the Matrix....I do seriously try and find that data.  The FJR community, particularly in the first few years of production were also heavy on the farkle development market.  Far more after-market parts for the FJR I believe...subjectively.

Speaking of tires, the Concours eats tires faster than the FJR.   My longtime riding buddy has a 09 Connie.  We've ridden cross country a couple time and countless trips together on the east coast.

These things I know. 

Gas stops are always determined by the  C14.  C14 requires premium fuel

If you want CC, you have to add it yourself. 

Valve check , adjustment is a pain in the ass(compared to the FJR)

Changing the TPMS battery is a pain in the ass.

Rear suspension set up look unnecessarily complex.

KPASS key thing can be finicky. Can't think of any advantage.   what the hell were they thinking?

Difficult (or limited options) for tank bag mounting.

Road trip oil change is easy, like the FJR

My riding impressions:

It feels noticeably heavier than the FJR

Motor and transmission are great.

Rear view mirrors suck.

Turns like a truck, especially at low speed.  Like most big bikes its great at speed.

It's now due for another valve train check/service.  Funny, he's looking at the new GoldWing now.

I thought for sure I was going to end up with the Concours.  I sat on both and the FJR did feel better but they are harder to find and the C-14's are often cheaper. But at the last minute, I found a 2014 with 16K miles at a good price and I put a deposit on it.  Pick it up in a week!  

I thought for sure I was going to end up with the Concours.  I sat on both and the FJR did feel better but they are harder to find and the C-14's are often cheaper. But at the last minute, I found a 2014 with 16K miles at a good price and I put a deposit on it.  Pick it up in a week!  
Your mother's reputation is saved! 

I was intrigued by the Concours when it first came out but that didn't last long. Years ago, a guy I was riding with had one so we swapped for a while. It felt REALLY good to get back on my '03 FJR afterward. The FJR feels like a comfy R1, whereas the C14 feels more like a peppier Goldwing. Blech.

Case in point, I'm shopping for an ST at the moment. It's between the R1200 RS/RT or an FJR. I haven't even looked at any C14s.

Everything I've heard from those who have owned both is that the C14 motor's power band is higher up where the FJR is a Tq beast from the ground up.

Good job picking the FJR!!!!

Regular gas, better tire life, better handling, more comfortable, better maintenance schedule and easier maintenance. Just the valve check on the Connie is a 9-hour job in the shop books... MAJOR disassembly required for access. FJR, lift the tank, couple of coolant pipes, cam cover, done.

Rear suspension geometry on the Connie is slicker, to prevent shaft jacking, but I'm not sure shaft jacking is actually something anybody in the real world actually worries about.

I had every Kawasaki series up to the ZX-14. When it came time for a tourer, I picked the FJR. The Concourse is way too big and heavy for me. When it came time for an adventure bike, I picked the Super Ten. Love them both.

The Connie was introduced in 1986 and the FJR 17 years later ( in N. America ) in 2003. So, the Connie had a head start in building its owner base and a lot of those owners upgraded to the new Connie when it came out a couple years after the FJR. I had a 2000 Connie and put a lot of miles on it but got tired of waiting for an update so  bought a 2003 FJR in 2004. When the new Connie came out, I looked at it but IIRC, it was too heavy, the valve train and rear suspension were overly complex so kept my FJR. Very happy I did as I rode it until 2018 when I got my next new ( still in the box 2016 FJR).

I rode my friends Connie with a large aftermarket screen and that scoot was as hawt between the legs (*think "crotch"*)..I mean Gen 1 & 2 FJR hawt.!

I never own one, I did think the mill was super but useless unless a guy had a radar jammer and lived on bullet straight roads in way outta the way New Mexico.

Delicious revving mill that was over the legal speed limits in 1st gear. Trouble was the fun part of the rev curve happened after 6250 RPMs.

I felt it was unride-able in real world shenanigans.

Thus, my 2014 red head and haven't looked back. Love the thing.

I had an older model concourse that I drove for about 40,000 miles.  I loved the bike, but it was top heavy and i could never get the ergos right for me.  I am 6'1" and 250.  If I could have made it comfortable, I never would have sold it.  I tried out the C14, and it was faster with better brakes, but it was a bear to steer at slow speeds.  Fast forward to the recent acquisition of and older (03) FJR.  This bike already had risers and foam grips.  I fell for it instantly, and I think it performs better than my old concourse, graphs and stats notwithstanding.  As an older rider, those top end performance things don't matter so much to me in real life.  The FLR is smoother and more comfortable, and just as much juice on the road.  I pick FJR.