"Consumer Reports:" Yamaha most reliable motorcycle !

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting stats. I am surprised about BMW. I will bet their are some old air cooler beemers decades old really still on the road today. The only rational excuse I heard from people buying HD's were they got laid more often. Go figure!

Motorcycles that I have owned over the years (in this order):
MotoMorini 50

'71 Bronco Apache 100

'74 Suzuki TM125

hiatus to serve Uncle Sam

'75 Suzuki GT550

'84 BMW K100RT

2nd hiatus to raise 3 children

'75 Honda Elsinore MT250

'84 Suzuki RM125

'73 Suzuki TS400 Apache

'83 Honda CR480R

'86 Honda XR400R and son had XR200

'00 Ducati Monster 750

'94 BMW R1100RS

'98 Honda VFR800Fi (still have)

'01 Kawasaki Concours

'05 Yamaha FJR1300 (still have)

'05 Kawasaki KLR650

'00 Aprilia Pegaso Cube (still have)

'01 Triumph Trophy 900

'75 BMW R60/5

'04 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom (still have)

'08 Yamaha WR250X/R

What a crazy mishmash of bikes. Guess which have been the most reliable? (hint: it's a trick question)

(I almost pulled a brain muscle remembering all of these bikes)
I would say the BMW R60/5

Yes, the BMW was (one of) the most reliable. But so was every other bike on the list (that was the "trick".)

None have had any major failures, and none have broken down and stranded me on the side of the road (knock on wood) even the old bikes from back in my teens, which I flogged with reckless abandon.

The FJR is the only bike that has ever come close to stranding me. I experienced a broken wire/connector pin on the Safety Interlock relay under the seat in Punxsutawney, PA while on a week long riding vacation in the summer of 2009. Luckily I was able to figure out the problem on the side of the road and make a temporary repair and finish our vacation trip.

How have I been so lucky? I'd like to think it was due to my anal retentive compunction for over-doing all of the preventive maintenance, but in reality it is probably just more of a testament that all (even the not so) modern motorcycles are marvels of engineering reliability.

Yes, the BMW was (one of) the most reliable. But so was every other bike on the list (that was the "trick".)
None have had any major failures, and none have broken down and stranded me on the side of the road (knock on wood) even the old bikes from back in my teens, which I flogged with reckless abandon.

The FJR is the only bike that has ever come close to stranding me. I experienced a broken wire/connector pin on the Safety Interlock relay under the seat in Punxsutawney, PA while on a week long riding vacation in the summer of 2009. Luckily I was able to figure out the problem on the side of the road and make a temporary repair and finish our vacation trip.

How have I been so lucky? I'd like to think it was due to my anal retentive compunction for over-doing all of the preventive maintenance, but in reality it is probably just more of a testament that all (even the not so) modern motorcycles are marvels of engineering reliability.
I would have to say the older bikes were good to me also. My 07 LT was flawless. My FJR has been rock solid also.

I think we become victims of getting what we wish for. The more we add to bikes the more complicated they become. No two ways about it. Electric this and computer that, more failure points. I know there are lemons on every make and model and ones that are trouble free. But complexity of ride modes and ABS and traction controls and even Fuel Injection. Yes I want all these things but with them comes the possibility of failure. And the more complicated the more likely I can not service it without some type of ODBC reader or whatever they call them on bikes. I had one for the LT to check and reset codes.

I am not against the technology I am a retired Network Administrator but you cant have it both ways. With the improvements come complications.

All in all the FJR is a very fine motorcycle and a wonderful bang for the buck.

As stated it is all subjective to what you can afford for toys and how willing are you to do a bit of research and spin a wrench. Me I love grease under my nails and knowing that I did it and with more care and attention to detail then a shop can. Not that they are bad but they can not spend the time I do on something and keep their doors open. I mean I clean everything, wire brush all bolts and nuts, even on a tire change I clean the bead and wax the inside of it, even have used 400 grit paper on the beads. A shop can not do that and make money.

Again I have done my own wrenching on all bikes and cars I have owned. Others either can not or do not want to do that. But reliability is something we have a hand in so it does start with us. How many even do a pre ride check anymore?

And I am sorry turning a idle screw out is not rocket science and if one bothers to read Forums on anything they own they will find the quirks and do them before there is a issue. Sort of like the plastic fuel line connectors on the LT. Read the Forum, and replaced with metal quick disconnects. Never a thought again.

All bikes have some quirks that others have found before us and to not use that information is shame on you.