Coolant Shelf Life

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TahoeBound

Reaction score
I know to replace coolant every 2 years (and some do it sooner), but what about shelf life of an unopened container? I've got one thats probably 3 years old and wondered whether to use it or recycle.

I know to replace coolant every 2 years (and some do it sooner), but what about shelf life of an unopened container? I've got one thats probably 3 years old and wondered whether to use it or recycle.

I would use it. I doubt that it goes bad on the shelf. You could check the Ph but I bet it is perfect.

The scientists say the antifreeze properties do not deteriorate, but the corrosion inhibitors do as they circulate in a cooling system with metals. I would use the coolant.

As big of PIA it can be to change the coolant & no more than a new unopened container cost why go cheap. Something was said once about "penny wise & pound foolish" :yahoo: :yahoo:

As big of PIA it can be to change the coolant & no more than a new unopened container cost why go cheap. Something was said once about "penny wise & pound foolish" :yahoo: :yahoo:
Well, my reasoning is why flush money down the toilet?

Especially when what what was said previously is accurate:

The scientists say the antifreeze properties do not deteriorate, but the corrosion inhibitors do as they circulate in a cooling system with metals. I would use the coolant.

antifreeze doesn't go bad in bottle, even if opened.

Suggest use distilled water ($1/gal) to dilute or you'll probably get scale forming in cooling system.