Corrosion

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a rat bike for the winter....'81 Sazook GS750E...runs good-looks like hell
meh.gif

Dirty is one thing, covered in salt is another. No bike can be protected against being covered in salt and left in that condition. The OP knows this and I found out the hard way too when I rode my 2004 through two UK winters in 2005 and 2006 and didn't wash it thoroughly enough. Header bolts, alternator cover and the right hand side timing chain cover all corroded badly. I was not happy. The best way to clean is to take the fairing off. Salt is nasty stuff.
I've used ACF-50 on various parts here and there but have also read of some treating just about their entire bike to a bath of this stuff. Might help.

acf-50.jpg
ACF-50 is the real shit. I do not have a salt exposure issue here in the Bay Area of CA but I have found this stuff will prevent corrosion. I applied it to the headers, calipers, and underside of engine pan area. Apply it to the calipers with a rag do not get it on the pads!!! I have a lock on my side gate that was rusting and looked real bad. I applied ACF-50 and let it set for a day. I wiped off the excess and the lock looked almost new.

ACF-50 is also approved by aircraft manufacturers to treat/prevent corrosion, especially on aluminum. It is often fogged into the hidden recesses of wings, tail surfaces, etc.

It should be excellent for protecting our bikes, especially from salt issues. Also has lubricating qualities...

As was mentioned: It is GOOD Stuff!

Another excellent alternative is BOESHIELD T-9... developed by the Boeing Co to protect their airframes from corrosion.

Don

Last edited by a moderator:
I have used ACF-50 and much heavier stuff we get over here called Waxoyl. They both work but the ACF-50 is quite light and does wash off. However it's much better than nothing IME. The final drive casting is something that gets affected badly, and the paint on mine is just beginning to bubble. After 13 winters I am not complaining.

I bought ACF-50 but havent found anything to use it on. Not sure of its persistence in an exposed application. Suggestions welcome.

I bought ACF-50 but havent found anything to use it on. Not sure of its persistence in an exposed application. Suggestions welcome.
Loads of info here acf 50 misting
Thanks for posting that. I didn't realise you could even get it to mist without a compressor. I have the pump applicators that sometimes come with the litre bottles and all they do is squirt a jet of the stuff. I tried warming it up and lo and behold it mists!

Latest posts