Crossroads...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Groo

The Endless Font of Useless Knowledge...
Reaction score
Not sure if anyone remembers me... I was a pretty active member back when this board got started, but according to my account, it looks like my last post was in 2011, so almost 9 years ago.  Lots of memories poking around in some of the areas here... the national meetings, regional meetings, things I hadn't thought about in a while.

Life went on, and got really busy for a while, and long story short, the FJR sat in my garage for the last 3 or so years unridden.  It had been only sporadically used the years leading up to that, so for an '05, it has a few shy of 50K miles on the odometer.

Recently thought about getting it running again (has a very dead battery), and was barely able to get the gas tank open for the rust.  Once I did get it open, looking inside wasn't a pretty picture.  So I'm faced with a crossroads.  I can try to find a replacement tank and fuel valve, and work at getting the bike running again, or part it out and start over again with a newer model.  I think it's worth way more parted out - Remus hexacone mufflers (the originals too), Rick Mayer saddle, multiple windshields, a second set of exhaust pipes (which I had intended to get powdercoated at one time), Traxxion Dynamics upgraded forks, Skyway hydration system, Upgraded rear shock, Spiegler SS line upgrades, Front Rotor upgrades, Warm and Safe installed (with the jacket liner/gloves), Superbrace, Fenda Extenda, Throttle lock, Power Commander, and quite a lot of other farkles I'd have to remember.

Love to hear other people's opinions.  Not sure how much of a market there is for parts off a Gen I 2005, or the add-ons.  As is, I doubt the bike has a ton of value since it isn't running, and most likely won't be cheap to get it back to that state.

Groo!! Good to hear from you! 

Sounds like the gas tank might be in rough shape but you don’t know for sure until a little exploratory surgery is done. Start digging and see what’s there. Even if you need to clean/coat or replace the tank that’s not a lot of $$$ for a running machine. ABS block will need to be checked for operation too. Tank and fluid changes are a start...see where that leads.

~G

I remember you.  I think.....
You should, I was following you in Colorado coming off a mountain when you crossed the center line, almost ran into a truck coming the other way, and laid your bike down in the dirt/weeds.  😄

Thanks guys.  Guess the first thing I need to do is get that mystery fluid siphoned out of the tank, and take a more thorough look. 

You should, I was following you in Colorado coming off a mountain when you crossed the center line, almost ran into a truck coming the other way, and laid your bike down in the dirt/weeds.  😄

Silly boy.  That is why I remember you.  It was all YOUR fault!

At least that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

You should, I was following you in Colorado coming off a mountain when you crossed the center line, almost ran into a truck coming the other way, and laid your bike down in the dirt/weeds😄

Yeh.  He had to.

Remember you too, Groo--at least your name and your avatar.  I hope you get it running again, if just to hear what sitting idle for all that time did to it and how the resurrection went.