Cutting the stock shield

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

5lbtrout

Reaction score
I've enjoyed the tall factory touring shield with laminar that's served me well during the colder months.

Now that the temperature is rising will hit triple digits in a few weeks, I am thinking that I should cut to stock shield to give me more air. I figure I will keep the touring shield as is and cut down the stock.

Since I am mechanically challenged and don't have any tools, I'll have to rely on a friend. For those of you who have done this, do you have any suggestions? Do bandsaws work? How short is too short? I am thinking about cutting about 3-4 inches.

If you have pics, would you mind posting them?

Thanks.

I did it to mine. I used a bandsaw and then filed and sanded up to 1000 grit. I burnished it with a hot torch. It looks cool and is cool. I can take a photo when I get home tomorrow. I think I cut it to 13 inches. Use search to find others like this.

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=1176

Google search "cut windshield site:fjrforum.com"

Last edited by a moderator:
Make a template, cover the shield in masking tape, and ensure it's supported where the blade goes through. Make sure you hold the two pieces together while you are cutting, especially when near done. Use a file to clean up the edge, then sand with 220 and 400 to finish the edge.

I'm thinking of doing the same, but have not yet. I did cut a vent in the bottom though.

I was going to do it with a jig saw with a medium tooth blade. A fine blade will clog and melt the plastic. A coarse blade will chip the plastic. I have cut similar plastics before and that was my experience. A medium tooth blade worked the best. Make a test cut higher on the shield to see if it's going to work.

Also I was going to leave the shield on. That way you wont have to hold it or worry about scratching it on a saw table or bench. Just put several layers of masking tape over it so the jig saw table doesn't scratch it. Also just lay some towels over the bike to catch the shavings and make clean up easier. Although an air gun would clean it up in about 5 seconds.

After you cut it go over the edge with a file, then sand it down with sand paper. Start with 220 grit and keep going finer until it becomes smooth and clear. Usually ending with something like 1500 grit will make it clear, and you wont be able to tell you cut it.

Just my .02

A.C.

Another thing you can do is buy a used 2003 FJR windscreen I believe they are only 13 or 14 inches.

Cee-Bailey's also has a couple shorties to choose from. Ooops, I see the shorties are for Gen1's, I don't see anything real short for Gen2's.

I have a -3 " Cee Baileys on my Gen II , love it . Cool in the summer , full up quiet air .

I cut 4 inches off of a stock shield using another stock shield as my drawing template. I first put several layers of good masking tape, front and back, several inches on either side of where I was going to make the cut. I then drew the line I would folow with my band saw. Medium blade is the way to go. I cut a little wide of the line and used a 400 grit sanding disc on my benchtop sander to get the cut line perfect (tape was still on at this point). I then hand sanded the cut with 600, 1000 and finally with 2000 (I think) wet sand. Finally I brought the shield to my buffing wheel and with the finest polishing compound I had, I lightly polished the edge. It looks like a factory edge if I do say so myself. The cool air is great and I run this shield until the middle of October when things start to turn cold. Take your time and go for it!

I cut my OEM '03 down into a very short, almost double-bubble profile. I've really enjoyed it, and like the way it looks.

I would avoid the flame-polish route. I've seen one forum member who shall remain nameless where the polycarbonate bubbled and hazed as soon as the torch got near it.

I used liberal amounts of painters tape, and covered the entire area I wanted to cut. I used a fine tool bandsaw blade. After band-sawing, leave the tape in place for the sanding process. As others mentioned, sand up to 1000 or 1200 grit. After sanding, I used a buffing wheel with fine jeweler's rouge, but you could just about any fine polishing compound on the edges for a factory look. 3M perfec-it comes to mind as an option. After polishing, remove the tape and clean.

It can be seen here, right in front of the large brown gut:

06EOM-14.jpg

and closer

06EOM-10.jpg

After reading all of the posts about the shorter shields, I decided to buy a concave cee baily instead of cutting mine. I couldn't see spending around $200 for a new wind shield when I could buy the short one for $100.

Well after reading this tread I finally did it. I cut 3" off the top of the stock shield, and shaped it similar to what it was originally. I did it exactly how I said in post #5 in this thread, and it came out perfect. :yahoo:

Now it's time to test it. I'll post pics of it tomorrow, to late now.

Well after reading this tread I finally did it. I cut 3" off the top of the stock shield, and shaped it similar to what it was originally. I did it exactly how I said in post #5 in this thread, and it came out perfect. :yahoo:

Art - anxious to hear how you like it, or don't, I bought a used GenII shield to cut - was thinking 4 inches. Hey - you doing the White/Green Mountain Ride this year?

For you Gen-I guys looking for a smaller shield, get an '03 to replace your '04 or '05 shield. It's 2 inches shorter, maybe 3.

I've enjoyed the tall factory touring shield with laminar that's served me well during the colder months.
Now that the temperature is rising will hit triple digits in a few weeks, I am thinking that I should cut to stock shield to give me more air. I figure I will keep the touring shield as is and cut down the stock.

Thanks.

Before you go cutting anything, let's meet up so you can borrow my spare Rifle tuning block (Gen I only) for a week or two to see if you like it. It tips the stock shield towards you and down so you get full airflow a bit below sternum-height at the lowest adjustment level and about mid-face-shield at the highest. Best of all, it cleans up the air flow, resulting in very little turbulence. Much cleaner flow than the stock set-up. If it doesn't do the trick, you can hack at your shield or buy a shorter '03 shield knowing you tried the reversible option first.

Art - anxious to hear how you like it, or don't, I bought a used GenII shield to cut - was thinking 4 inches. Hey - you doing the White/Green Mountain Ride this year?
Harlan

Looking at the weather, I may not get to test it until Friday.

Yes I plan on doing the W/G ride.

I just installed a Rifle that was 3" taller than stock. I should have ordered a shorter one since I am 5-8. I love the Rifle windscreen but even with it all the way down I did not get air to my helmet. I cut 3" off and it is absolutely wonderful, all the way up I get NO noise or wind and down I get plenty to keep me cool. It was very easy and only took 15 minutes to do, here is what I did.

Leave the windscreen on the bike, cover the bike with something to keep it clean.

1. Tape the entire windscreen inside and out with blue painters tape.

2. Make template of the original windscreen with poster board or thin cardboard and place it where you want to cut making sure it is even.

3. Use a permanent marker to draw the line to cut so it is even and mimics the original shape.

4. Get a 24 tooth per inch blade for a saber saw.

5. Cut slowly, the plastic will not melt and the cut will be very smooth.

6. Leave the tape in place and sand the cut edge by hand starting with about a 400 grit sandpaper block.

7. Finish the job with 1500 grit sandpaper by hand.

8. Remove tape and smile :)

My windscreen looks like a factory cut.

Well I didn't get to test it, because of the rain, but here are some pics of a stock shield cut 3". The vent in the bottom I cut out last year. For the vent I just copied the Cal-Sci vent.

full down

100_0521.jpg

full up

100_0520.jpg

full down

100_0516.jpg

full up

100_0518.jpg

full down

100_0522.jpg

full up

100_0519.jpg